• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

This Website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Okay, I have a lot of bad things to say about this website. Please remember that:
1) I do not want to flame, so if it looks like I am, think that it is not my intention
2) I can be mistaken, but usually I have a clear vision...

So, I have problems with this website:
1) Too many files on this website, slowing down the downloadspeed, and the refreshspeed. Don't tell me all files on this website are high quality. In fact, I doubt it if more than 50% of the files are good.
I know, it is not easy making models, or icons or maps, and I don't want to say I am a great modeler (in fact I don't know how to model), but that's one of the reasons why I do not POST the models in the first place. It is good to have much variety, but at the cost of what? Quality. It should be better to remove all files with low rating...

2) 12 000 Members are registered. Don't tell me 10 % of them are often active. I think it should be better to remove, or at least deactivate old logins, that aren't used for a month...

I cannot think of other things altough I know I had to say other things too...

I hope the people with power of this website at least read this site, because I think this website can do better...

Level 22
Well you have to consider that the average resourse maker doesnt have the patience to put weeks worth of effort into a single resourse. Everyone has their own view of what high and low quality resourses are. If you want that to change, you would have to change the mentality of the average resourse maker.

The sites speed has nothing to do with its content. To test that theory, delete everything on your hard drive and tell me it it loads things faster. Its the coding its self. You can, however, speed up loading of certain pages a little if you set the resourses-per-page to a smaller amount so it doesnt have so many images to load.

We take pride in this site not being elitist. This is a place where people of varying talent can showcase their work. This does NOT mean, however, that resourses with absolutely no effort put into them will be safe from deletion, which regularly happens. There is a difference between people who are simply have undeveloped skill and people who blatently put little to no effort into their work- one has the mentality to develope good resourses, just not the experience while the other has the ability, just not the mentality to make good work. One of those we are willing to help, the other we are not. But your solution would be to remove everything regardless...?

I don't want to say I am a great modeler (in fact I don't know how to model), but that's one of the reasons why I do not POST the models in the first place. It is good to have much variety, but at the cost of what? Quality. It should be better to remove all files with low rating...

As far as the not-submitting-bacause-I'm-not-skilled, Thats perfectly understandable. Thats why I dont make skins and spells. But the point is people do need feedback on their work if they are too improve (and if they are willing to listen to it). So are you saying you'd rather have a quality over quantity site? I dont think that would make us very popular...We have quality works. Lots of them, and we have a means to distinquish them over the others (i.e. Directors Choice sections) So I dont really see the problem.
-VGsatomi

Level 21
I can't say you're false, but sometimes a big cleaning has to be done...

what about the amount of members?

And about the harddisk: yes, it is pretty full, but turtles are faster than this website, and I visit more websites than only this one... (also: this forum is not thát huge, and still it is slower than other forums I visit that are bigger...)

oh, and comment 4) Why can't you make any structure in the files, to make it easier to browse trough the files? Now you can only select TFT, RoC or Campaign in maps. In models you can't even select an option. (I have to admit you can select the 'race', like creep, human, nage, ... which is a very good thing), but I miss something like folders... the maps should be ordened like : Reign of chaos/Maps/melee/JustanotherwarcraftIIImap.w3m
or The Frozen Throne/Models/Eddited/Evil Paladin or models/custom/Incursor

this is my point of view, and I hope this won't get me banned or something...

Level 22
We won't ban you just for bringing up criticism. Thats what this forum is for. Just don't be an @$$ about it.

What are you talking about?? There are several catagories to browse the maps with, not just file types. Did you notice the little tool bar on the left displaying the various catagories?

And what about the number of members? Its not like that slows down the site ar anything. Its just a number and a list of names. Also keep in mind you have top be a member to post any resourses, so some people may have 0 posts and 0 comments, but they will have posted material.
-VGsatomi

Level 21
I did notice the toolbar, I allready told you about it in my example of models, and I now realise there's a toolbar at maps too... And about the members: 1 member won't do it, but 12k?

And then what do you think, is the problem of my speed, on only THIs specific website?

Anyway, the speed & quality is my main problem with this... I mean, there're many good maps, which I'd liek to download, but more files are crap to most of the visitors I believe. If not, then kill me...

Level 12
It is false that when removing 90% of the files the site will get faster.

If you don't like the site and the resources go to another site, no one is forcing you to stay here, and the site doesn't really care enough on you to listen to your complaints

no one really cares on opinions of quality coming from a guy that doesn't make any resource.

The site is a download section not a giant gallery, stuff is supposed to be useful, not to feed egos

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Eleandor said:
2) 12 000 Members are registered. Don't tell me 10 % of them are often active. I think it should be better to remove, or at least deactivate old logins, that aren't used for a month...

For a month? What if the user was just spending some holidays? He/She would return to the site and poof! Like-Banned.

-Rui

Level 13
Tiki said:
.. look how slow the forums are and stuff, ..

Well, deleting stuffs is a bad idea to gain faster speed. The best idea is to change the script code itself. And..., you know it needs an admin to do this.

Vexorian said:
...the site doesn't really care enough on you to listen to your complaints

no one really cares on opinions of quality coming from a guy that doesn't make any resource.

Umm.. Vex, i think mods should listen to any complaints from any user, as long as he points it in a good manner.

You know, we can tell how good or bad some movies and songs, eventhough we can't produce even one movie or song.

Level 13
Hey i just wanna add in that my computer loads the site perfectly fine...the delays not too bad (about 5-10 seconds tops) and the site itself really dosnt hav much to do with how slow you open its pages. that relies upon your computers speed and the speed of your internet provider.
maybe if you delete your cookies on your computer from other sites and clear off your history you will load the page faster.
In addition to this, this site gets really heavy traffic, tons of people are on this page all day and its been up to 5000 so that will cause it to load slower (about 30 seconds at most for me on high traffic days) and that would help explain that "problem"
and about their sorting system its actually quite organized, you can select the name of the person who made it, type of sprite your looking for and other things. and if that dosnt work they even have the option to search for what you cannot find so koodos to those who made this page. and for those of you *cough* eleandor *cough* who cant see the great ammout of work put into this page. i pity you and ask you, can you do better? if so..go for it..(its not easy...trust me..i know..)

Status
Not open for further replies.