• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

The "Wood Mine"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Okay what i want to do is pretty simple: (or at least i hope it is):
I want 2 types of Mines in the game:

The first one is the good old goldmine:

peons walk in there and come out with gold

the second is the Sawmill:

peons walk in there and come out with lumber

Welcome to the Hive, derseppelvomdienst!

(i have an idea in my head)
Hmm i'm not sure if its possible... replacing a tree model with saw mill and give it 15 000 limit of wood, if you know what i mean. and than a trigger that will hide a unit(while the unit is collecting lumber) and unhide it when it stops collecting.

Level 13
look you will change the model of tree to sawmill then you create some dummy doodads (doodads without model) and then you make a lot of them about sawmill....but you leave a little space so ONE unit can get to it...and then a trigger that will hide a unit(while the unit is collecting lumber) and unhide it when it stops collecting (as berzeker sayes)

Level 9
If you're not using custom values for the worker units, you can make a custom system. Just have each worker have a "harvest" ability that, when used on the Sawmill, makes the worker disappear. You manually set how many workers can be "in" the mine at any point. After the harvest time has happened (I believe Gold Mines use 1 sec?), you make the unit reappear and order it to cast "return resources" on your nearest town hall / lumber mill. This will take a bit of work, and I summarized it as much as I could. Other than this, there's a few solutions that might work as previously mentioned.

Level 2
Thx Angry_Bovine this sounds to me like a real solution ;)
anyway i think i will just change my idea since this is too much work ;)

Okay Here is my new idea:

Lumbermill which generates 0 wood in the beginning then
you click an "upgrade" and for 60 gold it generates 10 wood every 5 seconds,
for 60 gold it will be upgraded to generate 20 wood every 5 seconds
... until lvl 5 where it generates 50 wood every 5 second
but i dont want this to be a global upgrade, so that every lumber mill has
to be upgraded to level 5
I'm pretty new to the world editor so I'm open to every idea :)

Level 9
Well, you can make a "dummy" unit (a unit that has no stats and no model) and just remove it once it's finished training, and then just increase its production.

The other way is you can have an actual research, though that would mean it would affect all of your Sawmills. It's really up to you.

Level 17
Thx Angry_Bovine this sounds to me like a real solution ;)
anyway i think i will just change my idea since this is too much work ;)

Okay Here is my new idea:

Lumbermill which generates 0 wood in the beginning then
you click an "upgrade" and for 60 gold it generates 10 wood every 5 seconds,
for 60 gold it will be upgraded to generate 20 wood every 5 seconds
... until lvl 5 where it generates 50 wood every 5 second
but i dont want this to be a global upgrade, so that every lumber mill has
to be upgraded to level 5
I'm pretty new to the world editor so I'm open to every idea :)

Just make like 5 Lumber mills, Level 1 , Level 2 etc.
And upgrade them?

You can also use the gathering system used by AOE3 (dunno if u played it)
basicly when a worker attacks the resource the resource will be added.
They wont return resources though.

Level 12
Floating text with upwards velocity. Make it have a fade time of ~2 sec, and color it green.

This is a good solution. Just trigger the wood gain with the floating text. Use an integer as a counter, to determine the wood gained/amount floated.

Last edited:
Level 9
Problem Solved:

Oh, just so you know, there's a way that'll make that look more elegant: You only have to add lumber to the player once. Take the sum of all the lumber mills (multiplied by the correct coefficients you wish to assign) and then add it to the player all at once. Neat code is easier to read, and thus easier to fix when the time comes.

Level 2
Oh, just so you know, there's a way that'll make that look more elegant: You only have to add lumber to the player once. Take the sum of all the lumber mills (multiplied by the correct coefficients you wish to assign) and then add it to the player all at once. Neat code is easier to read, and thus easier to fix when the time comes.

*cough* yea i know but i wanted to keep this thing as simple as possible at the beginning ;>

Status
Not open for further replies.