• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

the starcraft 2 editor is a nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
custom units doesnt work,(they neither show up nor can be selected.) the trigger editor is incomplete and buildings cant upgrade into custom buildings. i will rather use the high power editor of warcraft 3. i just found out another thing that is bad with the starcraft 2 editor. windows detects it as a harmfull program.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
custom units doesnt work,(they neither show up nor can be selected.)
Sorry but I can garuntee they do and are working as intended. It is quite obvious you did not duplicate the units actors or hook the unit up to an actor and as such there is no visual display data for the unit. SC2's data editor is not WC3's object editor, you can not just copy a unit and expect it to work as you have to set up actors, weapons and all kinds of stuff for the unit before hand.

the trigger editor is incomplete
You only found this out now? Wow really I thought the term "BETA" gave it all away when you axcepted the terms of use conditions. Maybe buy the game in july as then everything should be finished (if not then you have all the right to complain). Also I would like to remind you that the beta did not even include the editor at the start to demonstarte how incomplete it was.

buildings cant upgrade into custom buildings.
Yes they can, just you are not doing it right. You need to bind custom units to an actor via the actor events (so it creates an actor for the unit when the unit appears). You then need to add events so that upgrading can be performed correctly (some building actors have this aready). Please do not blame your tools for your short commings.

i will rather use the high power editor of warcraft 3.
The fact you are comparing a beta to a well patched game is semi laughable. WC3 editor is far from high powered as the whole WC3 engine is flawed (dissassembling the code revealed many major O(n) opperations when loading object data as just one of the problems, I can list more if you want). It is clear you are suffering teething problems with the SC2 editor cause it is more complex than the WC3 one. Honestly I am having no problems with it and so are most people. It takes hours of messing to be able to do stuff, but in time you will wonder how you ever went without behaviours, abilities, effects, units and actors.

i just found out another thing that is bad with the starcraft 2 editor. windows detects it as a harmfull program.
Herustic detection is not always the best. Kaspersky keeps telling me that the beta updater is a key logger so I do confirm this is a problem. I garuntee you its a false positive though as blizzard will not risk losing millions in legal obligations if it was really harmfull. I am sure Activision Blizzard and Microsoft / most good AV companies will have this sorted by release.

Level 10
Even so, Galaxy Editor is still a nightmare to learn from scratch. There is waaay too little documentation on the most of the stuff.
As a simple example: "Create a region Value, Value, Value, Value." No description what so ever.
How am i supposed to know which one is X and which is Y. is the size defind by the distance between the 2 points or by location or by locations. It took me 10 test runs to figure the Velue's out.
And this one is simple, there are stuff that i cant even pronounce.
However, it is only million times better than the world editor. Once you get a hang of it, oh man. This is what i call felxibility. You can do almost ANYTHING with this stuff, oh man. So awesome

Level 22
I agree. Stop this bullshit with being a beta, I will bash you hard when the release has the same issues :)

For me the prob isnt the documentation but the fact that some simple things are simply missing - set life on unit on the map, upgrades, units walk through all have to use pathings, some triggers are missing, Unit groups are tons of text when I simply need 'Units Owned by Player (of type etc)'

There are some very useful features like replacing all , find etc, but many small and simple things are missing.

Level 11
I agree. Stop this bullshit with being a beta, I will bash you hard when the release has the same issues :)

For me the prob isnt the documentation but the fact that some simple things are simply missing - set life on unit on the map, upgrades, units walk through all have to use pathings, some triggers are missing, Unit groups are tons of text when I simply need 'Units Owned by Player (of type etc)'

There are some very useful features like replacing all , find etc, but many small and simple things are missing.
You DO realize you can create custom functions, right? And that these custom functions can just take less arguments than the ones you are provided with, making it easier to do tasks which you do over and over?

Also, what triggers are missing? I've been using it since it came out, haven't noticed anything that seems to be missing, aside from maybe hashtables.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
They have tables. Which are basically the same as hashtables but single level only.
If you can store tables in tables you can emulate hashtables very easilly by storing a table to the parent index and then storing in that stored table the child index and actual data.

Level 6
My only issue is lack of hero support. Anyone discovered a way to set attributes through triggers? Or I'm guessing since Blizzard doesn't plan (just heard this...not sure of the truth to it) on updating the editor, it won't ever happen?
You can create a buff thats invisible and adds/subtracts one point to the attribute you want to change.
You can change the attribute by adding that buff to an unit.

sadly I found no direct way to chage the stackcount of a attribute behavior.

Level 9
It is beta, and full game should have few extra things. I HEARD they will ad much better Hero support.

Currently some things are pain in the ass to do, but we just have to get used to it. They want us to do it diffrent way than in Wc3. And as Doctor Supergood said, after we get used to it we will not be able to continue without those things.

I know I'll go crazy until I get used to it as I am to Wc3 Editor, but that's the price I have to pay for this awesome tool, and I recommend everyone else to do the same.

Level 21
i can only add a single upgrade effect. the warcraft 3 editor supported 4.

in order to make a nexus able to lift off, i had to first duplicate lift off then remove it afterwards just to add it to the building.(sounds strange i know but, it is the truth.) after i added it to the building i undid the removing. so, the editor is a nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is a beta... Infact the editor was so unfinished it was not included in the orignal beta versions (only in patch 9).
In 9 or so days times when the release candidates start to be tested hopefully the editor is updated but I do admit it is pretty buggy currently.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I have no clue what you are talking about. There are no buffs in SC2.

If you mean ...
Do behaviours configured as buffs persist through death? (if unit is revived will they still be under the influence)

Then I would have to say I honestly do not know and can not find out for reasons beyond my control (can not activate editor until servers are turned on). You however should easilly be able to find out via a small test of your own rather quickly. If you do find the answer consider posting it here so that we can learn from it.

Level 10
I have no clue what you are talking about. There are no buffs in SC2.

If you mean ...

Then I would have to say I honestly do not know and can not find out for reasons beyond my control (can not activate editor until servers are turned on). You however should easilly be able to find out via a small test of your own rather quickly. If you do find the answer consider posting it here so that we can learn from it.

they do if you check the Permanent box in Behaviors-Categories

Level 5
yeah it is hard to learn but is clearly more flexible than Warcraft 3.

only issue I really have is the 0.0625 timer limit

i would even be ok with them making you able to run checks at 30 frames per second, or about half of the current limit, but 16 frames per second is just a stupid limitation

hopefully it is only a beta restriction

Level 19
i can only add a single upgrade effect. the warcraft 3 editor supported 4.

in order to make a nexus able to lift off, i had to first duplicate lift off then remove it afterwards just to add it to the building.(sounds strange i know but, it is the truth.) after i added it to the building i undid the removing. so, the editor is a nightmare.

Can we just end this..? If you give a baby the parts to a robot, he will choke and crap himself. Hes trying to make a nexus liftoff! Not only that, the fact that the patched WC3 editor dumbed everything down to the point that he can use it is amazing and sc2 editor is as complicated as building a skyscraper in california + maintaning it. If he hates it, who cares? i dont. WC3s gonna die, due to the fact that good mappers will move to sc2 and gamers will too, that will only leave the poor and the bad mappers. Closed please?

Level 21
the fact is that the editor doesnt support everything directly. some things is only supported indirectly. (like duplicating loft off for example. in order to duplicate lift off to enable it to protoss units i had to remove it, then undo the removing after adding the ability.) the editor still works even with the servers offline. i can even start up my own project map through the editor. though the login screen doesnt show up, the game simply exits directly after the map have been tested.

Level 19
It supports everything directly, you just cant understand HOW the editor supports it...

dont want to flame :bored:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I'll tell Py to close this.
So me being a moderator of this section is pointless as everyone just goes to the dragon I see...

i understand how things work. but as it is i cant add upgrades effects anymore because the editor crash every time. (it is a problem with the new version.) i will go back to the older version that doesnt crash.
Hmm interesting problem. This is a beta and to be expected so I advise reporting it to blizzard as a bug so they can fix it. Remember that the game is released in 2 weeks time so it is important to flag up every bug you find.

The editor is not an upgraded WE. Yes some elements are simlar but it is mostly an entirly new build. Like I keep saying, do not expect editing to be like using WE. Object editor no longer exists instead you have the more powerful but more complex data editor that works completly differently from the object editor in WC3.

Anyway I am closing this thread because it really is not going anywhere currently. This section is for seeking help using the editor thus I advise creation of new threads for problems so it is easier to solve them instead of tagging problems at the end of existing unrelated problem threads. Additionally the editor has change quite a lot since phase 1 so some arguments in this thread may be out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.