• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I can not learn the editor of the Starcraft 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hello to all. I'm here to talk about the Starcraft 2 editor. Well, before I was using the of Warcraft 3, but I know that Starcraft 2 is the best. But this editor and more harder to use. What is idea to increase the difficulty?

Note: I learn better in practice (Using).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What is idea to increase the difficulty?
It is any harder? Seems easier than WarCraft III to me as everything is logical unlike WarCraft III where everything runs off magic.

Making a unit in WC3...
You copy the unit in the object editor. Want to change its art during a session? Sorry, you cannot do that. Want to make the unit change animations depending on skills and items? Sorry cannot do that. Why is the art attached to the unit?!

Making a unit in SC2...
You make a unit data instance and configure as desired. You then make a unit actor instance that is created for the unit when the unit is created. Want to change the art during a session? Destroy the actor and replace it with a new one. Want to make the unit change animations depending on skills and items? Change actors or add animations again. Units are synchronous and actors are local, everything makes perfect sense.

Level 9
I was using the editor in practice, and learned a lot. I saw that agents are a factor in the creation of new units, etc.. As I said I learned better in practice. And I know how to import models, icons (is better than the World Editor) ... My project is to make a World of Warcraft Burning Crusade. I know it is very difficult to start, but I want to make maps and important like that. And I wanted to support all of you. Because we like the Warcraft series, let make a smaller version of the best MMORPG in the world. I'm sure Blizzard will allow it to use tool her.

An image of imported models:

Level 9
no because i know that at some point you will stop doing things on the map. you will get anyone to work with you if you proof that you will finish something.
please start with something small! most ppl surrender after they notice what is really possible and what not.
we need more good maps on bnet! and ppl who really finish things.
just read through this forum!! so many projects and which were finished?!
as i said before, start with a TD, you learn everything about actors since you need lots for effects. also some complexe effect chains should come with it.

(don't blame me for char tower defence not being finished, it was until blizz bug patched it ^^)

Level 2
i was "WTF" as i started with sc2 editor but now i am at a point where i say "wow" lots of stuff possible with it
This is pretty much the standard description of what I thought about the editor in SC2. I started with the SC1 editor and SCMDraft, so the difference was.........jarring, to say the least. Now, however, I can do a lot of things with the data editing that probably weren't possible in WC3 (I'm not sure, given that I haven't actually played WC3), such as making units promote upon hitting a certain level (for an idea of what I mean, picture the Fire Emblem games, only without the special items), custom projectile movement, a naval system in a game that was not designed to support it, and access to about a million fields that I don't really need (I don't think that even Blizzard needed access to most of those).

The chief downfall of the SC2 editor is that everything is so slow to create. What the editor needs is a set of wizards to streamline basic unit and ability creation, starting with an existing ability and automatically making modifications. For instance, if you wanted to create a new Penetrator Round ability that stunned enemies and stopped after 3 hits, it should be able to allow you to do that (if you wanted it to keep going after that with only the damage, that would be reaching the point where the wizard is too complex to be helpful).

Status
Not open for further replies.