• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Hive's Own E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I (like many of us) have been glued to my tv today watching the e3 expo as i clean up the drool from all the insane games that are coming (mmm twisted metal is baaaaaaack). and that gave me an idea: what if the hive had its own "E3"?

perhaps it would be an anual thread of some sort that would expose maps and their makers. For example: each year a few members of hive would get together and retrieve info about maps that are still in progress, already made but under renovation, and map makers could in a way apply in hopes to have their map on display.

What this would do:
Well, obviously this gives the public a chance to see and maybe even play a small demo of their favorite upcoming maps. More so, the maps that are show cased will recieve publicity and hopefully create hype for the map. Map makers could answere interviews, have links to demos, and show off screen shots of their upcoming maps-all of which help both the players and the map and their makers.

Our very own wc3wow and wc3d3 are two maps that have garnished a lot of players and downloads. However, at the hives e3 we could showcase these games and in the "showing" the wc3wow could give a simple demo map (everyone wants to play it, dont lie to yourself.) then the wc3d3 could have a youtoube clip showcasing thier new terrain and skins in action.

even better for the community is that we can allow a certain amount of applicants to showcase their maps that many people may have never heard of. this could give some maps the publicity they need to give the mapmakers motivation to keep chugging along and finish their now anticipated work.

Idk its just an idea. it would require a lot of work the side of interviews and getting everything together but the effort would be well worth it compared to what this could do for the community.

Last edited:
Level 6
eh yeah sorry, when i viewed it at first it was just a block of text that i didnt even want to re-read. ill make it a little less...gay?

Level 6
well of course its not necessary but it would be fun and everything.

what dont you understand, i can try to explain better?

Level 27
Actually I already rough about some kind of Hive's Newspaper where volunteers would take interviews from Hive's "celebrities" (a.k.a. famous Hivers, such as Ralle, Pyritie, Lioness) and from hosted project teams.

Also we already have Hive News Batch where they tell about all the new stuff, but it was last time made like more than year ago... dunno why...

Actually I already rough about some kind of Hive's Newspaper where volunteers would take interviews from Hive's "celebrities" (a.k.a. famous Hivers, such as Ralle, Pyritie, Lioness) and from hosted project teams.

Also we already have Hive News Batch where they tell about all the new stuff, but it was last time made like more than year ago... dunno why...

Aside from bringing back the Hive News Batch, I disagree. No need for interviews or newspaper, this is just a small modding site.

Level 23
I guess the idea is quite funny ;)
But on the other hand: who should do this? it's quite a lot of work and you can easily interview every famous user yoursefl using chat.

But if there would be people out there, that would like to do something like hive newspaper or something , I would not say no to it ;)

Level 6
haha well yeah now that i think about it, the E3 thing would be very similar to the news batch.

but i agree, nothing really exciting happens hence why there isnt any news haha. idk i guess the only real significance with E3 is that it promotes new and upcoming maps? but then that would be too much effort just for a few maps...

lol it sounded like a good idea at first

Level 18
hmmm i think its more the motivation that counts in i mean imo the hive isnt big enough yet to make such things 1: the people who would make this dont wana make it for nothing when most people think its useless 2: if there are nto enough people intrested in it why make it at all? Now dontget me rong cause i like the idea but i think it isnt going to work

Level 4
hmmm i think its more the motivation that counts in i mean imo the hive isnt big enough yet to make such things 1: the people who would make this dont wana make it for nothing when most people think its useless 2: if there are nto enough people intrested in it why make it at all? Now dontget me rong cause i like the idea but i think it isnt going to work

Im sure it will after SC2 comes out, and if hive is smart enough to host starcraft maps, which i just found out now it already does........ Ok THW is set!

Level 6
Well its still a good idea no matter how unreasonably lazy we are, im sure we could eventualy get something done, expecialy if it happened only once a year. And it wouldnt really be news now that i think about it, there isnt any news on the hive haha! but instead E3 would be about the maps. Nothing news worthy has to happen on the hive, E3 is just promoting the maps on the hive.

Yeah its kinda like the hosted projects but E3 would be this event where the hosted projects could wait to release demos and such until the event. like some of the big maps on the hive would all release demos and screenshots and such all at once all within the same thread...thatd be cool.

maybe it will work better with sc2...idk im just throwing this idea out there bc i think it could help the community. we are just a small modding site but wouldnt it be nice to take it a little further and help promote some maps?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Divulging projects is interesting, as is checking the top downloaded resources. However, I'd prefer having real news (for example, Blizzard planning to include chat rooms). But the time at which these informations are put out does not coincide with the monthly news patch, and we'd end up divulging news that were known for weeks.
On top of this, I'm not sure whether anyone's really willing to put it up together every month and much less a period shorter than that.

Level 6
Well yes it is of course interesting but like you said Rui, the rate at which blizzard releases any information makes it so we cant really make an entire news edition about it. maybe like a weekly blurb or something but nothing worth while and itd be hard to find a dedicated user to stay on top of "current blizzard events" and post them.

However like I keep saying, E3 isnt necesarily news, its more of a promotional event to help maps within our Hive community (thats a nice little pitch). And yes, this would be annual which would make it easier to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.