• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The "Help Ljusdahl" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Not a descriptide title, but I have multiple problems so I'll gather all of them on one topic. Neat huh? I'll edit this post as new problems arise/are solved.
Thank you for your time.

1. Is it possible to "Unit - Create" a unit so that the unit have it's custom team color? I've never gotten it to work without some additional triggering. I've done everything in the unit editor correctly.

2. Is it possible to add a hero ability to a hero, so that it is learnable like the preset ones? I've tried "Unit - Add ability" but the hero gets the ability without having to learn it first, even though it's a hero ability. (The hero got 3 abilities, and I'm adding 1)

3. How can I lock the camera so that you can't pan around with mouse/keyboard" without having to lock it on a unit? I could make an invisible dummy unit to lock onto, but I'm sure there's another way.

Last edited:
Level 27
1. Is it possible to "Unit - Create" a unit so that the unit have it's custom team color? I've never gotten it to work without some additional triggering. I've done everything in the unit editor correctly.

2. Is it possible to add a hero ability to a hero, so that it is learnable like the preset ones? I've tried "Unit - Add ability" but the hero gets the ability without having to learn it first, even though it's a hero ability.

3. How can I lock the camera so that you can't pan around with mouse/keyboard" without having to lock it on a unit? I could make an invisible dummy unit to lock onto, but I'm sure there's another way.

1. Custom team color? if you had a trigger 'Unit - Create' then it would have no player controlling it.. And it's not possible lol..

2. Ehm, it is possible but i don't know how. Maybe JASS is involved.

3. Just block the movement by looping the trigger over and over? Dunno if that will lag ... But u could give it a try??

To hard questions.. im not that smart yet >.<

Level 6
2. If you're trying to get more than 5 hero abilities on one hero, I don't think it's going to work. I do think you can just add all 5 abilities to the hero, and disable them... then you can enable them again through the triggering editor...

Negative. The hero in question have 3 preset abilities and I'm trying to add a fourth. Thanks anyway.

1. Custom team color? if you had a trigger 'Unit - Create' then it would have no player controlling it.. And it's not possible lol..

2. Ehm, it is possible but i don't know how. Maybe JASS is involved.

3. Just block the movement by looping the trigger over and over? Dunno if that will lag ... But u could give it a try??

To hard questions.. im not that smart yet >.<

1. When you create a unit in GUI, you specify a player.
2. Maybe so. Sadly I dont know Jass.
3. I could loop a "Apply camera over 0 seconds", but if that's what I'd have to resort to I'd rather not lock the camera at all.
Thanks!

Level 21
Negative. The hero in question have 3 preset abilities and I'm trying to add a fourth. Thanks anyway.
In that case, do what I said: add the 4th ability and disable it at map initialisation. It won't show up in your hero menu, but once you "enable" it (through a trigger) it should appear in your hero abilities...

Alternativelly, you could try to add the ability and set its level to 0...

Level 6
In that case, do what I said: add the 4th ability and disable it at map initialisation. It won't show up in your hero menu, but once you "enable" it (through a trigger) it should appear in your hero abilities...

Alternativelly, you could try to add the ability and set its level to 0...

The latter didn't work at all. Seems the minimum level is strictly 1.

The forementioned however worked. I was able to show and hide abilities at will, even in the learning menu. However, the ability added may be any out of (up to) 6 different abilities, and sadly the maximum is 5 so i could only add 2. I'm doing a class-like thing where you gain a special ability depending on what class you pick, but I must keep to using the same unit-type.

Thinking about it I could, if I can restrict myself to 4 special abilities, use the Engineering Upgrade. Sure, I'd have the same icon & text for all classes, but it would be easly done.

Level 6
And the unit is colored... do you means a other color than the player one?
"Unit - change color"

There's a field in the unit editor, "Art - Team color". By default, it is set to "Matching Owning Player" I mean that even though you change that, it's still the color of the player if created through a trigger. So if I make footmen blue, and have one created for player1 Red, it'll be red, not blue.

Level 5
Not a descriptide title, but I have multiple problems so I'll gather all of them on one topic. Neat huh? I'll edit this post as new problems arise/are solved.
Thank you for your time.

2. Is it possible to add a hero ability to a hero, so that it is learnable like the preset ones? I've tried "Unit - Add ability" but the hero gets the ability without having to learn it first, even though it's a hero ability. (The hero got 3 abilities, and I'm adding 1)

1. The Custom Team Color (for whatever reason) only applies to units that are placed on the map inside of the map editor and not created via triggers. So, if you want a custom color for a specific unit, you will always have to "Unit - Change Color". Sorry, no easy way around it.

2. Learn the ability, set the ability level to zero, and then add a hero skill point to the hero (because "unlearning" a learned ability does not refund skill points). I don't believe this can go over the 5 skill limit though.

3. The camera has to be locked to something for a function like that to work, whether the thing it's locked to is a destructible, region, unit, or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.