• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Eye of Dalaran

This is an older map I made when I was in college. It is a World of WarCraft-style dungeon crawl, with eight unique boss encounters and fully voiced cinematic dialogue. Players explore the ruined city of Dalaran and engage deadly enemies in search of the fabled treasure of the Eye. The map is designed for 1-3 players and probably takes about an hour to complete.

Features the voices of Russel Paac, Michelle DiPietro, Mia Steiner and Sally Slade. Includes music by Flogging Molly; lyrics © Pete St. John. Blood Elf Demon Hunter model by mc!.

-- UPDATE --

Special thanks to Radicool for providing audio compression to reduce the map size. I've tested his version of the map and replaced the original. Thanks man!

Keywords:
WoW, dungeon, mc!, Dalaran, rpg, demon hunter, blood elf, multiplayer, single-player, medieval, WarCraft
Contents

The Eye of Dalaran (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael Date: 2012/Oct/22 21:02:06 [Please do not send me a message, use Staff Contact] Comment:Orcnet's Review [tr]Recommended Rules

M

Vengeancekael
Date: 2012/Oct/22 21:02:06
[Please do not send me a message, use Staff Contact]

Comment:
Recommended
[tr]​

reportV2_animated.jpg
Rules

Level 4
Summary

The map is cool and the voices make it even more.
It's definately not soloable (you say it's set to 1-3 players)
Being able to blink anywhere with the teleport sword isn't really nice. I suggest you add some restrictions to it so players can't trespass the playable area.
Important: After killing the water elemental boss Zephron (or something) I don't know what to do afterwards. I try crossing the Way Gate but nothing happens. (Can't finish the game)

Level 4
your map cannot be played by 2 or more people as it has gone over the limit of 8MB in bnet or LAN. it is 17.43MB big, most of the map that has size gone over 8MB+ are usually cinematic or singleplayer campaign.

-bad description

Level 30
Map Review
The Eye of Dalaran (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"The Eye of Dalaran" is a RPG map that is based on the ruins of Dalaran and how Illidan Stormrage's servants undergo their search of artifacts against the city denizens, can be played by 3 users and players starts at the south-west of the map, main goal is to survive and kill the last boss to win the game.

"game play was awesomely good, to my enjoyment, I played all classes to test all of their skills and it was good, although the map file size is quite big to fit in online consoles and co-op, I suggest you decrease some imports of the game this way 2-3 players can join in the fable."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Terrain is moderately fine, not much to commentary in this issue although some part of the map is tight while some of its maze cause a wide stroke but anyways its fine."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"After those tests, the game is great, excellent execution of the story line and boss fights, same goes to triggers, I didn't open the map but by looking closely on every phase of the game I spot no bad outputs of the game thus this is a good shot, although I expect to decrease file size, by other means of decreasing the size of the import musics and that is all good job and luck for incoming updates."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
11/1587%B

Level 16
Yes the map size does disallow multiplayer. I decided to compress the music within the map to decrease it to 3.38MB. Now it will be downloaded much faster and playable in multiplayer.

I have sent a message to the creator if he could update the map with the one I have posted. I have in no way changed any contents of the map! Enjoy.

Edit: Removed attachement. The author has updated his map with the reduced size version.

Last edited:
Level 10
Yes the map size does disallow multiplayer. I decided to compress the music within the map to decrease it to 3.38MB. Now it will be downloaded much faster and playable in multiplayer.

I have sent a message to the creator if he could update the map with the one I have posted. I have in no way changed any contents of the map! Enjoy.

After testing and making sure the map still works, I've posted an update with Radicool's version. Thanks for your help Radicool!

Level 2
Nice map, played it with some friends.

My Review:

Minor Bugs: None Found. :thumbs_up:

Major Bugs: None Found. :thumbs_up:

Suggestions:

I'd suggest restricting the area allowed for the teleport item that is boughtable. If not restricted players can just cut through the map. :goblin_jawdrop: I could restrict it where player's can't cut through the playthrough if you wanted.

I rate this map [color=7fffoo]4/5[/color] and no rep given.

Level 10
Is there any
save/load sys?

There is not. If you are playing single player, you can use the built-in save/load system, but that's it.

Nice map, played it with some friends.

My Review:

Minor Bugs: None Found. :thumbs_up:

Major Bugs: None Found. :thumbs_up:

Suggestions:

I'd suggest restricting the area allowed for the teleport item that is boughtable. If not restricted players can just cut through the map. :goblin_jawdrop: I could restrict it where player's can't cut through the playthrough if you wanted.

I rate this map [color=7fffoo]4/5[/color] and no rep given.

Thanks for the advice. Restricting the areas reachable with the Blink item is definitely something I will address if I ever release another version of this map.

Thanks for taking the time to play and review. :grin:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
We're two players trying to kill the green Kel'thuzad. We can't get enough damage to kill him before the cooldown gets refreshed. Are we missing something?

Some tweaks to consider:
-Tarya (the elf archer) talks (transmission) to Adamis when the players meet him but no player had chosen her
-Shadow Cloak gives too much advantage to the wearer since the hero can pass any enemy going to scout most of the map. Towers and some units should be able to detect the wearer
-fire and cold hounds appear some time (minutes maybe) after the mistress dies
-units that are not heroes have the glow
-there is a group of enemy units that are not defined as enemy but as neutral right before reaching Dark Seriss: a Death Knight, two Dark Wizards and a Skeletal Mage

I fancy the map but can't give a full review as long as I can't get past Seriss.