• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] The Culling of Stratholme: Reversed Edition Concept

Quick introduction to Reversed Campaigns:
Reversed campaigns are a genre where you take the original campaign apart mission by mission and modify (or in my case remake each mission from scratch) to let the player play the mission as the opposite faction while the faction you normally play as is now controlled by AI. This concept comes with many creative challenges where you need to remake the missions objectives that gives the player a true, worth-while goal (instead of just hold out til you die), but with minimal change to the original events of the mission.

The Culling:
Is going to be a masterpiece in Reversed edition!
You WONT be playing as Malganis, youll be playing as STRATHOLME ITSELF!

And it won't be a hold-out in the slightest, the map is gonna be massive, but the city will be divided in bordered off (but connected) districts so its kinda easy to keep track of happenings within destinct districts, easy to tell apart.

Goal won't be just to defend the city, no no no.....
You get a Special Unit; The Town Crier -- who may rally and order around groups of villagers!
Interactive City Buildings will work like Transport Ships; with the villagers pre-loaded inside, you wont need to micro the villagers themselves, but through Town Criers you get indirect and versatile control over them.

Four instant-cast abilities; (like Roar, Starfall, Scroll of Protection, ect)
Rally! -- Makes villagers in 900 AoE leave their homes and follow the Town Crier.
Hold! -- Villagers assume defensive positions around the location its cast; treat the area like a rendezvous, armed or not, they'll put up a fight.
Back to your Homes! -- Villagers take shelter in their corresponding homes (or among the ruins of them).
Call to Arms! -- Villagers will attack-move to and gather around the nearest player-owned Town Hall to equip themselves (gain enhanced stats).

The Town Hall itself can issue more direct orders to the (now armed and organized) group of villagers. Like telling them to all attack-move out to a specific point on the map or return back to the Town Hall. (only affects Armed Villagers who've visited that Town Hall before.)

Infection Mechanic:
Rather than villagers turning instantly upon touching air,
There are 4 "levels" of infection among villagers;

Normal - The Villager isn't infected (yet).
Afflicted - Stage 1 infection; Villager can still be cured by Priests. Their behavior is unchanged.
Plagued - Stage 2 infection; Villager can no longer be cured, behaves Neutral toward Undead and won't obey Town Crier commands. Leaves house on own initiative and wanders the streets.
Turned - Stage 3 infection; Villager turns into Zombie and becomes allied to Undead and hostile to the rest. Zombies won't attack City Buildings, but will instinctively gather in large mobs and sweep the streets for any exposed living targets.
On a periodic timer, a random villager will be picked among the ENTIRE map (loaded or not) and progress into the next stage of infection.

Environment:
The map starts out at 12:00 fixed time, sunny weather effect, full of birds and a light fog

Every time a City Building or Villager dies or turns, the map's time of day will progress by a few minutes...
Eventually at certain milestones, the birds start to disappear, the fog becomes thicker and more gray, the rays of light turn off.
At 17:00, light rain starts to fall, the fog keeps getting thicker
Past 18:00 the fog starts turning gradually more red
In the coming hours, parts of the city begin to burn, villager infections become more rapid, where were once birds are now flocks of bats, heavy rain starts to fall along occasional lightning strikes
Finally, at midnight, the time stops progressing further, lightning strikes are frequent, fog is now thick and blood-red and the entire city is engulfed in flames!

Mission Goal:
If you manage to cure villagers 150 times and at least 50 City Buildings survive, get the good ending; Uther and Jaina show back up, destroy Mal'ganis for once and for all and will then arrest Arthas and his troops, Stratholme endures thanks to your amazing healthcare and quarantine procedures!

However, if there are at any point less than 200 Villagers total alive or fewer than 50 City Buildings left around the map, your perspective will swap and you will take control of Mal'ganis. Through him, you get to destroy the troops you formerly commanded along with the remainder of the city. After that, you get to wreck Arthas' base to win lol.

I plan for ~125 interactive city buildings and ~800 Villagers total, but the number may change drastically.

1701173017731.png

Few other design notes:

• Mal'ganis, from his base passes through a poverished area, has a 33% chance to go to the Harbor District, Market Square or the Festival Row.
  • Mal'ganis wont under any circumstance teleport.
  • By design, you won't be able to spawn-camp Mal'ganis easily (you'll need to spread towers over 3 possible paths or keep an active, mobile force in that area, can't just camp one spot)
  • Arthas' troops always spawn at the Southern Entrance, but he's by design more powerful than Mal'ganis, but moves slower and respawns less frequent.
  • Zombies will gather in hordes and sweep the streets, I have a GREAT plan in my head that I'll be able to trigger most of
  • Zombies will NEVER be teleported away (fuck that)
  • Zombies will NEVER attack City Buildings!!!
  • A variable-based algorythm will be applied to both Mal'ganis and Arthas when seeking out City Buildings to target, they wont just attack-move and wont destroy everything on their path

Let me guess: It's going to be released for Reforged?
Actually, all missions will be done in SD exclusive, but I just couldnt terrain an epic Stratholme in original graphics... :(
It's the only mission in the project (so far) that will be Reforged-only.

Okay, I get everyone is sad that it will be Reforged, but trust me, I (almost) hate reforged as much as you do (probably), but I've taken great measures to make it as palletable as possible; For instance, Ive used AI tool to upscale the SD tileset variations and integrated all of their unique details into the bland Reforged textures. I'm also great at modeling in HD graphics and managed to make a blood-covered Arthas model and make parts of the City really unique and pretty :)
1701176262015.png
1701176347361.png

1701176593613.png
1701176622017.png

Level 23
Okay, I get everyone is sad that it will be Reforged, but trust me, I (almost) hate reforged as much as you do (probably), but I've taken great measures to make it as palletable as possible; For instance, Ive used AI tool to upscale the SD tileset variations and integrated all of their unique details into the bland Reforged textures. I'm also great at modeling in HD graphics and managed to make a blood-covered Arthas model and make parts of the City really unique and pretty :)
View attachment 455584View attachment 455585

View attachment 455586View attachment 455587
That bloody arthas model will strike fear into the hearts of those Stratholme residents.

Level 26
It will be on a reforged patch though. 1.35/1.36.
The Culling itself will be in HD graphics but the other maps (the majority of them) will be SD graphics but still need a reforged patch.
Thank you for your answer, but @Sapprine answered the question. I hope to play with some of your projects on classic if you complete them, and I'm very glad to have this conversation: some of the famous campaign and map makers of WCIII are got a bit *pinionated, and have a very hard time to answer even a properly written, fully understandable question about compatbilites with WCIII Classic. Hope your attitude is not gonna change as theirs after time.

Level 11
View attachment 455584View attachment 455585

View attachment 455586View attachment 455587
that laughing arthas is so cursed will be horrifying to face him

Thank you for your answer, but @Sapprine answered the question. I hope to play with some of your projects on classic if you complete them, and I'm very glad to have this conversation: some of the famous campaign and map makers of WCIII are got a bit *pinionated, and have a very hard time to answer even a properly written, fully understandable question about compatbilites with WCIII Classic. Hope your attitude is not gonna change as theirs after time.
Raypack is co-author of this project! :D
I do terraining and most of the map design, he co-designs and does the majority of the triggerwork

I handle everything visual, he handles everything technical

Level 26
mission 1 is already done! DM me on discord and I'll send you a test version (we plan to release first two missions as a bundle around christmas)
Sorry to say, but I don't have Reforged, and I'm not gonna have it soon for sure (Technical issues). I don't have an energy efficient PC to play Reforged. I had a PC that capable to run Reforged, but it used a lot of power & it was not very efficient. I honorably discharged from service, by taking it to the local E-waste collection site in E-waste collection day. It was a good PC, still missing it.

Sorry to say, but I don't have Reforged, and I'm not gonna have it soon for sure (Technical issues). I don't have an energy efficient PC to play Reforged. I had a PC that capable to run Reforged, but it used a lot of power & it was not very efficient. I honorably discharged from service, by taking it to the local E-waste collection site in E-waste collection day. It was a good PC, still missing it.
first mission is SD and you shouldnt have problems on older versions, the triggering is quite simple

Level 26
first mission is SD and you shouldnt have problems on older versions, the triggering is quite simple
If you saved under Reforged editor, then I must use Reforged to play it. No matter what materials are used during it's developmenet. Right now the site is Maps section search engine and filter is broken, because it's does not filtering what I used to.

Level 21
If you saved under Reforged editor, then I must use Reforged to play it. No matter what materials are used during it's developmenet. Right now the site is Maps section search engine and filter is broken, because it's does not filtering what I used to.
Yeah... sadly you won't be able to play it then...
But look at the bright side: you will be able to play my reworked scourge of lordaeron :xxd:
If you want to play the "demo" you can tell me :D . Missions 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 have been completed (mission 3 will be new mission by me and there's a new mission before The Culling).

Level 11
Yeah... sadly you won't be able to play it then...
But look at the bright side: you will be able to play my reworked scourge of lordaeron :xxd:
If you want to play the "demo" you can tell me :D . Missions 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 have been completed (mission 3 will be new mission by me and there's a new mission before The Culling).
is this reworked version of ze scourge of lordaeron for reforged or OG wc3?

Level 21
is this reworked version of ze scourge of lordaeron for reforged or OG wc3?
It is OG wc3. Made for patch 1.29.2!
All my campaigns will be OG wc3. The reason I use patch 1.29.2 is because of the 24 player support. It helps me a lot with managing the AI by splitting it into more players.

All the maps that I release that are originally my idea will be OG wc3. The only exception will be for example:
I make a map for OG wc3 and then I do the exact same map but with reforged HD custom models.

Level 11
It is OG wc3. Made for patch 1.29.2!
All my campaigns will be OG wc3. The reason I use patch 1.29.2 is because of the 24 player support. It helps me a lot with managing the AI by splitting it into more players.

All the maps that I release that are originally my idea will be OG wc3. The only exception will be for example:
I make a map for OG wc3 and then I do the exact same map but with reforged HD custom models.
oh pretty cool man