• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] The Companion: To the Underworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
[TD] The Companion: To the Underworld Brief History

The Companions are a collective group of mercenaries, ex-soldiers and fighters who are forsaken by their homeland and have nowhere to go, they are led by a fierce but yet kind warrior named Erriar Roastcleave. Even though most of them are criminals, a companion will be never be afraid of their brother as their respect and loyalty to the brotherhood who gave them food and shelter surpasses even the King's Royal Knights.

The Companions base are located on the upper-level of a abandoned mine called "The Gateway to the Underworld". The Companions believe the myth behind the mine so they decided to never step deeper in the mine and be satisfied on what they can get on their current location.

Its seems to be that the Companion will be living in peace unfortunately though a large group known as "The Death Knights" started to harass the thinner Companions for some reason and with a almost depleted mine the Companion will not stand a chance on a long battle.

Erriar, who have no other choice and in a desperate position, ordered Fararn Ironmaul to explore deeper in the mines hoping to find supply to help them fight the Death Knights. Fararn though discovered something else...

Features
-A detailed and atmospheric terrain
-Weapon and Shield attachment
-Intelligent and Thought-Provoking Story(I hope.)
-Puzzles
-Side Quests
-Crafting
-Mining
-No Dragons

Screenshots

Terrain

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sample varieties of weapon and shield attachments

attachment.php

attachment.php

In-Game note: the UI in this screenshot is only my War3 UI and not the map's UI.

attachment.php

Crafting:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2344295-post40.html

Mining:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2344536-post59.html

Current Credit List
-Kobas-
RED
Kitabatake
Kuhneghetz
Mr.Goblin
Sin'dorei300
Terem
Vrykul
levigeorge1617
HappyTauren
Horn
Radagast
Frankster
UTM
Ogare
xgm.ru
Sliph

A few word from the Author

Since my buddy DBZ is surely taking his time writing history, quest lores etc on Dwarf's Tale and I'm currently done on my part(terrain, ai, items etc.) I'ma start a small project to kill some time. As always I'm keeping this project as simple as possible just like my other maps OotF: Arena AI and Dwarf's Tale so don't expect something mind blowing.

Other Stuffs
In The End - My newly approved melee map!
OotF - version 1.6 was out early this month!

[/TD]

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 729
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 636
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 615
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 619
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:
Level 30
It is good to see another project from you! The history is well-made and I enjoyed reading it.

For the terrain, it simply looks great, the doodads you putted just fits well but I want to say that it is still a bit empty if you ask me maybe add some more doodads that fits this kind of atmosphere, dark and lifeless.

Attachments is really a great addition to RPG maps like this. It gives more shine to the hero!

The UI looks good and fits at the game's mood.

Overall, for a simple project, this looks promising from the terrains, up to the attachments and more... Good luck with this and have a +3 REP to motivate you more... I hope :b

Edit: Didnt saw the features and I must say all of them are quite interesting. What I like the most is the Intelligent and Thought Provoking Story! Hope you can do a story like that!

Level 28
is good to see another project from you! The history is well-made and I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks

For the terrain, it simply looks great, the doodads you putted just fits well but I want to say that it is still a bit empty if you ask me maybe add some more doodads that fits this kind of atmosphere, dark and lifeless.

Yes terrain is still a bit empty, i'll add some stuffs but just enough not to overcrowd the terrain.

The UI looks good and fits at the game's mood.

Well...

the UI in this screenshot is only my War3 UI and not the map's UI.

If it does fit in you perspective(audience perspective) then I might add it, not my priority atm though.

Good luck with this and have a +3 REP to motivate you more...

You sure know my biggest problem </3

EDIT:

The terrain might look monotone atm but hell, we're only at the starting floor the title should be catchy enough :).

Level 30
Thanks

Yes terrain is still a bit empty, i'll add some stuffs but just enough not to overcrowd the terrain.

Well...

If it does fit in you perspective(audience perspective) then I might add it, not my priority atm though.

You sure know my biggest problem </3

I've added some statements to my last post with an edit: So just to say it here... hope you can do an intelligent and thought provoking story. That makes a simple RPG the best, if you do the story wery well and make sure the game has this replayability value so players will enjoy this playing everytime. Once again, good luck!

Level 28
Yay, totally expecting a lot from this project! Hope this will be not abandoned

Let us all hope, as long as DBZ is not finished with his part on Dwarf's Tale then I'll be here working on this project.

Currently the Chapter 1 Called "The First Step: A Glimpse to the Underworld" test map will be available in a few days the terrain is almost done(pic below.), all the quests for this chapter are already written, dialogue included, a few items are also already done.

attachment.php

EDIT:

If you don't know DBZ, well this is him: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/dividebyzero/

Yup, lets blame him for the delay of Dwarf's Tale!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 875
Level 30
Let us all hope, as long as DBZ is not finished with his part on Dwarf's Tale then I'll be here working on this project.

Currently the Chapter 1 Called "The First Step: A Glimpse to the Underworld" test map will be available in a few days the terrain is almost done(pic below.), all the quests for this chapter are already written, dialogue included, a few items are also already done.

attachment.php

EDIT:

If you don't know DBZ, well this is him: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/dividebyzero/

Yup, lets blame him for the delay of Dwarf's Tale!

Lol, its to zoomed out that I cant see the terrain itself clearly but I can see some parts and they were done well. Nice job!

Level 28
Thanks for the support guys <3

Anyway speaking of this

I can't even make such goddamn terrain like that, and fast!

Just finish the terrain for the first test map.(Which covers the whole chapter 1). Yes its still empty on some parts and that will be filled later.

Attached the terrain overview and a couple of editor screenshots.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 132
Level 30
Thanks for the support guys <3

Anyway speaking of this

Just finish the terrain for the first test map.(Which covers the whole chapter 1). Yes its still empty on some parts and that will be filled later.

Attached the terrain overview and a couple of editor screenshots.

The terrain right is the Underworld right? These terrain just give the proper feeling, dark and lifeless. How about using some fogs for this?

Level 28
First of all don't take the word "Underworld" literally guys or the Underworld = Hell conception. There are a lot of meaning for the word "underworld" and for this project I will portrait it with my own meaning. All the materials I need for the terrain is in the map and actually, the stuffs you're seeing on the current progress atm wasn't even 50% of the materials. Well in short, there will be more surprising stuffs on the terrain as the project progress :)

I think there is too much crystals, maybe replace them with something else, say mining cart or the mining cart tracks. Hell, maybe even a sort of Mine entrance.

I know there are a lot of crystals but I don't really see it as a problem, it won't distract you in-game anyway and I''ll make sure there will be more doodads around before I release the test map I only finished the layout and the major terrain designs.

Also if anyone insist that its empty, well there will be unit movements like people doing mining animations and some simple stuffs :)

Level 6
sonofjay.. a new project eh?..

Just make it a little brighter..

Remember that a terrain is not good at all in the game without a GOOD AMBIENCE SOUND..

Add Weather Effects..

How about make the crystals glow?.. perhaps edit their model?..

Anyway a new promising project..+REP

Level 28
Actually guys, the crystals are supposed to emit some light but for some damn reason it fuck up same with the light doodads and other models that emit light. About the background music, not a priority but I imported one and will use it for the first test map.

I always think of The Companions in Skyrim when I see this in my subscriptions.

I think I pulled a little of inspiration there.

About the attachments, well you won't really see them that cleary in-game since the camera is a bird-eye view.

Level 28
I'm using a custom DNC cause I need the dark atmosphere for the terrain. No need to do that since if its dark in-game then the screenshot should be the same.

EDIT:

Forgot to reply to this

Mate no words to say, except that you are probably best terrainer I have ever seen(yes ever), I hope you will also create really dinamic and active gamesplay, because right click maps are boring.
Do you need anything, and when do you expect to finish it?

Well thank you for the compliment but I can name a few people who are way better than me on making playable terrains :). Well this is not just a right-click map, we mostly focus on the story and solving puzzles. For now, I don't really need anything other than spells since I'm not a good spell maker but I'm hoping to find the right spells I need on the spell section if not I might seek help. Well no real ETA but the first test map will be available soon with the whole Part 1 of the map.

Level 30
I am just really wondering... is this Multiplayer or Singlepayer? And also does this map have boss battles? If yes, I suggest make the boss battles in the game unique like it is phase by phase, for example, bosses life reaches 50% life... it will either cast a strong spell or summon minions and such.

Also, for battle musics, maybe try Two Steps from Hell also. =)

Level 12
I am just really wondering... is this Multiplayer or Singlepayer? And also does this map have boss battles? If yes, I suggest make the boss battles in the game unique like it is phase by phase, for example, bosses life reaches 50% life... it will either cast a strong spell or summon minions and such.

Also, for battle musics, maybe try Two Steps from Hell also. =)

Seems sp to me.

Level 28
Finished the Introduction Cinematic which extend to the first mission last night but I just finished making it skipable this afternoon.

Current Equipments

WeaponShield
ClaymoreRound Shield
FalcionCompanion Shield
Ulduar Sword City Guard Shield

Will probably add another sword and shield for the test map.

EDIT:

Will you be adding save/load codes to transfer our progress to next versions?

Haven't given this a thought. Maybe, just maybe. I want to finish the important things first.

Level 30
Finished the Introduction Cinematic which extend to the first mission last night but I just finished making it skipable this afternoon.

Current Equipments

WeaponShield
ClaymoreRound Shield
FalcionCompanion Shield
Ulduar Sword City Guard Shield

Will probably add another sword and shield for the test map.

EDIT:

Haven't given this a thought. Maybe, just maybe. I want to finish the important things first.
Those are quite few but looks good. Well, for the save and load systems. I think if this is an SP map, you should not make one for save/load is mostly used in Multiplayer.

And still you have my support, bro!

Level 28
Those are quite few but looks good.

Well its few because you have to craft them with raw materials.

Here are some screenshots of crafting. Its simple and easy to understand.

Instructions of crafting:

-Just put the materials on the crafting box in any order.

Item to be crafted:
Falcion

Materials Needed:
Leather (Poor)
Wood (Poor)
Iron Ore

attachment.php

125802d1369297209-companion-underworld-12.jpg

attachment.php

Note:
Low Quality materials like wood and leather can be bought on the shops while ores needed to be mine. Also rare materials can be find by killing monsters and finding treasures.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 214
Level 30
Well its few because you have to craft them with raw materials.

Here are some screenshots of crafting. Its simple and easy to understand.

Instructions of crafting:

-Just put the materials on the crafting box in any order.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Note:
Low Quality materials like wood and leather can be bought on the shops while ores needed to be mine. Also rare materials can be find buying killing monsters and finding treasures.

Finally something where you can get items the hard way. Not by buying but by crafting. Yay, that is quite unique.

And by the way that looks good, bro. Looking forward for more.

Level 12
Will crafting be based on chance or not? I know you are going to add this anyway, add text after crafting is done. A system you could add is a smithing level of some sort. You will only be able to create high-quality items by having a high smithing skill.

Level 30
Will crafting be based on chance or not? I know you are going to add this anyway, add text after crafting is done. A system you could add is a smithing level of some sort. You will only be able to create high-quality items by having a high smithing skill.

Hmm, thats quite a good idea to implement to add more uniqueness but I think it will be annoying at some points such as when you failed to craft, you just wasted money. An example event is like that.

But for me this is worth implementing!

Status
Not open for further replies.