• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Battle of Troy

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: Ilike
A remastering of the overdone Troy concept. Credit to Eternity_Sheild for original theme.

Modeling Credits: Wandering Soul, rysnt11, Mc !, Mephestrial, Elenai, Zin-Creator, olofmoleman, Tranquil, Sephiroth_VII, Kitabatake, Bart-Illidan, HappyTauren, R.A.N.G.I.T., and skrab. Thanks to all of you for your hard work!

This map is produced by Lightning, with all appropriate permissions recorded and available upon request.

Keywords:
Troy, Sparta, Greece, War, Siege, Epic, Achilles, Paris, Battle, Defense, Agamemnon, Hector, Odysseus, Trojan, Spartan, Greek, Massive, Long Game Leng
Contents

The Battle of Troy (Map)

Reviews
18:44, 1st Sep 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Rejected
Level 10
This map cannot be played in multiplayer (LAN, Battle.net, HeLLcraft, Garena etc.) due to the fact that it exceeds the multiplayer map filesize limit (8 MB). Please lower the map's filesize down to 8 MB or else this map will surely be rejected.

The map does look nice though. I'd like to take a look at it, but you're going to have to bring the file size down first.

It may also help if you expand your description and enhance it using BB Codes.

For any further help or suggestions, feel free to tell me here, or leave me a VM.

Level 4
AHA! THAT'S what the problem was. I'll have it shrunk down in a few hours. Thanks!

Oh, and details on BB Codes would be great. :)

EDIT:
Sound Editor:
Soundtrack: 5,819 KB.

Oh. T_T

ReEDIT: Fixed, reinspect.

Last edited:
Level 10
OK, OK. You know, 1 PM was more than enough. (I check most map threads often. And plus, I'm subscribed to this thread. :smile:)

Anyways, I'll be testing now... Be back in a few for a short review. :)

EDIT:

Hmm, well I just wanna say that I liked the cinematic myself. Cool music and stuff, but there is just one thing you have almost no control over in Warcraft III, and that is raising the maximum amount of units you can select.

I say almost because I have played a map with a massive amount of units, but it was still easy to control all of your units. They had a "mass unit orderer" type of thing. It was WoG: CCW (Not trying to advertise here. :wink:) You could check out their system if you want, although I think their map might be protected, you could only look at their idea and try to make your own.

But back to your map. Many of your buttons are out of order. (e.g. The learn button position will be in the first spot, but the normal button position will end up being in the third spot.) You need to fix that.

On older computers, your map will definitely lag due to all of those units on the map, but that's just a must I guess when you make a Battle-of-Troy-styled map.

The map does have a very nice setup, it looks like it would have took a long time to make.

But again, with the unit selection limit, i was experiencing problems. I tried double clicking on the Trojan Soldiers that are closer to the frontline to get them to all use Shield Wall, but the game kept selecting the same group of units no matter who I double clicked on! The Greeks could really, really, really use a mass unit orderer of some sort. It would take at least 10 minutes just to get all of your troops to move out!

Not much else to say, other than that the map is a simple, basic all-out-war map. I suppose it could be fun with more people.

Fix some of the things mentioned here, and I'll give it a 3/5. Make a "mass unit selector" sort of thing, and I'll give it a 4/5. For now, I'll be nice and leave the map unrated (instead of giving it a 2/5). :smile:

Last edited:
Level 4
The game contains several commands for controlling units en masse. The Greeks have the commands -attack and -retreat that affect their soldiers, and the Trojans can enable and disable their shields by typing -shields and -unshield. The most likely reason that the game kept selecting the same units when you double-clicked, was that the Warcraft III engine naturally gives selection preference to the units you own over the ones you control. Since all of the units are the same, when you double click on a unit belonging to Player 3, although the player is not present and you control his units, it will select that unit along with as many of the same unit type belonging to you (Player 1) as possible.

Personally, I am fond of using control groups [ctrl+(1-0)] to maneuver massive amounts of units. With this system, one can effectively manipulate up to 160 units simultaneously.

There are several minor changes being made at the moment, in response to several glitches testers have found, but altogether, it should function as intended. I suggest that you re-download the map and look again.

Remember that this map is intended for a full house of players, and I encourage you to try it out in a multiplayer setting! :)

Level 30

The Battle for Troy [No Version/s Stated]

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

General:

Gameplay-[5/5]
Note: Commentary for your map's playability.

Terrain-[5/5]
Note: Commentary about your terrain's sight of view.

Managing-[5/5]
Note: Commentary on your game's output.

Overall-[15/15]

Gameplay

addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

The Game is really huge, maybe because you imported a lot of things it ended up really big that it can't be played in multiplayer.

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

Terrain looks promising due to the real view of troy it actually is an island, but what puzzle me is that you also used trojan walls with those night elf ruin tilesets that made it really bad looking, I mean use a different tileset or a humane wall next time so it can look more trojan than the ruin version.

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

Overall, the game was good, well not to good but only for players who likes clashing down units to each other that's for sure, and lastly, the ending of the game was really bad, I mean I used Trojans and killed all spartans but the outro showed the spartans won and I failed.

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
7/1573%D

If you wish to continue your work project, do please send it in the Map Development area so users can help you and you continue your updates.

Level 4

The Battle for Troy [No Version/s Stated]

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

General:

Gameplay-[5/5]
Note: Commentary for your map's playability.

Terrain-[5/5]
Note: Commentary about your terrain's sight of view.

Managing-[5/5]
Note: Commentary on your game's output.

Overall-[15/15]

Gameplay

addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

The Game is really huge, maybe because you imported a lot of things it ended up really big that it can't be played in multiplayer.

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

Terrain looks promising due to the real view of troy it actually is an island, but what puzzle me is that you also used trojan walls with those night elf ruin tilesets that made it really bad looking, I mean use a different tileset or a humane wall next time so it can look more trojan than the ruin version.

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

Overall, the game was good, well not to good but only for players who likes clashing down units to each other that's for sure, and lastly, the ending of the game was really bad, I mean I used Trojans and killed all spartans but the outro showed the spartans won and I failed.

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
7/1573%D

If you wish to continue your work project, do please send it in the Map Development area so users can help you and you continue your updates.

I'm assuming you downloaded the first version of the map to be posted (9.27mb!!!). Please take a look at 4.3X, which is fixed in that respect. ^^