1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Campaign] Terraining in barrens tileset (ideas needed)

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by [E]clipse, Jul 3, 2015.

1. [E]clipse

[E]clipse

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okay I was making some terrain in my Ch 1 barrens tileset and it got a score of just 1/5 a from a reviewer and 3/5 from the other... Look at the screens :

Show Screenshot 1
    [​IMG]

Show screenshot 2
    [​IMG]

What I need :

1. Ideas for the terrain (Barrens tileset)
    2. Some links to custom doodads (Barrens)
    3. Anything else you can help me with....

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
    Demon_Slayer

2. Edge45

Edge45

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    On screeny 2, don't make the terrain flat, increase some heights and others low, experiment on it until you got it :)

3. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    On the second one, those orange and gray tiles look out of place.

4. [E]clipse

[E]clipse

Resources:
    Resources:
    So where do you think they should be ?

5. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I played the map and terrain was decent warcraftish style. It is based on standard Wc3 terrain, it does have all kinds of trash around the area, and it brings enough detail. Surely terrain is not special, it looks old school, basic Wc3 style. I see nothing bad about it, I have seen many worse examples who couldn't even make Wc3 standard terrain. This project I believe did well for the standards of Wc3. It deserves 3/5, but surely not 1/5. I wonder what rating deserves even worse examples then, negatives perhaps?

6. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's more the fact that there's no transition. When grass and dirt tiles overlap, there's a few strands of grass that stick out on the other tile, whereas those two look like big blobs of paint.

7. [E]clipse

[E]clipse

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks All of you....

How do I fill blank parts of the terrain without cliffing them ?

Like a barrens themed forestal looks...

Some screenshots for inspiration please...?

8. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    You could check out my barrens maps (even though I made them while I was still very unskilled).

Tile usage is one of the most important things in Barrens tile set (in the screenies I saw some custom tiles? Why?)

Objects that require pathing: totems/large rubble/craters/fences/large rocks/trees
    Notes - craters and large stones can also use customised pathing (allow units to walk on them)

Objects that do not require pathing: small rubble/small/rocks/small/craters/geysers/bones/corpses/small bushes/small cactuses/dry grass/braziers/torches/thorny vines
    Notes - You can also make large geysers that require pathing with cool effects.
    Notes - Make sure the bones on the ground do not clip the ground too disturbingly.
    Notes - Color the bushes the way you want (use Ashvenvale/Felwood bushes) and size them the way you want.
    Notes - For dry grass find a custom model or use River Rushes model and colour it.
    Notes - Scale down Viny Thorns a lot to make them look like dried out roots.

Objects that can be easily modified in editor: totems/large rubble/fences/trees/passive buildings
    Notes - You can make totems very large to make them stand out. More important is however to make a new doodad of them and roll/pitch them so they look angled/fallen. If you make the totems lay on the ground they do not require pathing yet give nice expression.
    Notes - Using large rubble can be hard but if you lower it beneath the ground you can make only the very top of it show, making it look like ancient ruins that has been overrun by nature and covered in sand, this neither, requires pathing but gives nice feeling.
    Notes - Fences, especially the wooden onces can be used well, pitch and roll them and remove the pathing from them and add it later on, if required. Fallen/angled fences makes the area feel more insecure and risky.
    Notes - Trees can be used in various ways. You can use canopy(or why not normal) trees and scale them down and lower them under the ground so only the leaves show, this makes them look like a flora on the ground. Another way to make bushes here. Always remember (if not melee map) to add variation of tree that is fallen and a variation that is almost fallen (angled) and place them here and there (not too much). This fits very well in the dry, sand-filled ground of Barrens. Remember to add pathing later if required.
    Notes - Make doodads and use models of neutral passive buildings (Wildkin/harpy nests etc) and scale them the size you want. Make them have no pathing and place them (on top of hills/rocks where player can't reach). They give feeling that the area is inhabited (or was) but the cruel environment has driven the creatures elsewhere (fits very well to Barrens).

Hope this helped.