• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining a multiplayer map {using the Ultimate Terraining Map}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So, i've played around some with 'the ultimate terraining map' a bit and i'm still pretty new to map making.

My question is, what is the best way to go about terraining and so on to keep the map under 4mb?

If i start up 'the ultimate terraining map' and start making terrain the map will go over 4mb very fast because it's already at 3.95mb when i load it.

Should i make my terrain in that map and then somehow import it to another map? if so how?

Should i import the stuff i want from that map into another map where i do the terraining?

Help a semi-newb out will ya!

It is up to your creativity actually. Good terrain results can come out of default models as well. Starting off UTM for a map is just stupid; you will extract all those models you want and add them in one of your own, because there are many unecessary ones in UTM.
To make terrain and "transfer" it to another map, when the pointer in the Terrain Editor is in "Selection mode" (that rectangle pressed button), you can point over the area and once it is selected, press Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V to the other map. It works on Doodads as well, after setting the doodad palette and creating the exact doodads in the other map. You can, like i said, make a new map, import the models you want and go on with it. You don't have to "play" from map to map with a copy'n'paste, cause it's a waste of time and it makes no sense at all.

Level 2
Starting off UTM for a map is just stupid; you will extract all those models you want and add them in one of your own, because there are many unecessary ones in UTM.
That's what i thought too. Just wanted to hear it from someone with a little more experience.

Thanks alot, time to start importing.

EDIT: err...so how do i change the thread to solved?
EDIT2: Nvm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.