• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Terrain Request(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi. I'm in need of 4 different smallish terrain areas/themes. These 4 terrain themes would be as follows.

- Haunted Manor
- Town
- Farm
- Forest
[new] - Garden

Since I don't need them all in one go, I have listed them in order of my priority. These should each be made in a copy-pastable region that is no bigger than 54x54. The theme should be very consistent and obvious, but with variation so it's not the same thing for the entire area. Now, you'll probably rejoice in hearing that I in no way require anything amazing. Something nice and minimalist will do. For example, in the forest map, instead of a massive mountain built out of custom doodads and dedicated much time to, I'd much rather have a smaller, more humble and simple mountain. On another note, I need the outsides of each region to end in a kind of "fade-out" manner. For example, using the forest map again, if you're going to make a little river passing through, make sure it's put near the middle of the area, whereas the outer edges of the area should end plainly with tree clumps. I don't mind imports, so long as they stay low in file size. Terrains used must be limited to the following.

Cityscape - Dirt
Cityscape - Black Marble
Cityscape - Brick
Cityscape - Square Tiles
Cityscape - Grass
Cityscape - Grass Trim
Cityscape - White Marble
Cityscape - Round Tiles
Lordaeron Winter - Snow
Village - Cobble Path

I'm in no hurry and any contribution is much appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: I'm debating on whether or not I should stick with the catacombs map. I'm considering switching it to something more along the lines of "haunted house". A mixture of the two would be nice but I don't see how that would work out, seeing as, apart from the 'spooky' essence they share, they are quite different. So, any suggestions as to how I could approach this dilemma would also help me out greatly. Thanks once again, Hive.

Last edited:
Level 4
So this is for a campaign? Four separate maps? Or all in the one map, I can give this a go if you want. And what base cliff do you want to use?

Base cliff should be default. 2 or something. It's 1 map divided into 4 parts, but like I said, it wont be that map that I'll make the actual game out of. I'll just copy and paste each of the regions into the map that I've already started. (In terms of triggering and such.) A reminder, keep in mind they should each be about 54x54.

Thanks for the help.

Also, I've decided to do Haunted Manor instead of Catacombs.

Level 9
OK.... I made a town in about an hour, see what you think. If you like my terraining I'll continue with the other three areas. And the size is roughly 46x46 for this town.

Attachments

• town1.JPG
    town1.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 124
  • town2.JPG
    town2.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Level 4
OK.... I made a town in about an hour, see what you think. If you like my terraining I'll continue with the other three areas. And the size is roughly 46x46 for this town.

I like it a lot. You really captured the minimalistic aspect I was going for. It's simple but efficient, and I'll add in the rest of the deco myself. I'm definitely going to use it, just attach the file and we're good to go. Also, please do continue with the other 3 in the same style, just a bit bigger please. Forest, Haunted Manor, and Farm. Also if you could go for one more I wasn't really planning on until now, its Garden. If you're willing to try it, be my guest, otherwise that's cool. I'll just try to do it myself.

Thanks again.

Level 4
Yer the weather effects were just for show, not needed in the final piece. I'm going to put all 5 in the one file, so when they're all done you'll have em all :grin:

And the garden sounds good, easy

Also is the haunted house interior, exterior or both?

Interior. But it can have exterior aspects like for example, a back yard cemetery or a courtyard in the middle, etc. In fact, I'd prefer if it had those 2. Thanks. Also, keep me updated every time you complete of the 1 maps, like with the Town.

Level 17
I shall make you a few if interested, seems easy enough, to bad you decided not to have catacombs anymore, I make kick as terrains for that. :p

I'll do it after my school (so 2 hours from here on.)

EDIT: You're lucky, my school has tyet again failed and the lesson is canceled.
I'll start on the forest now, because you said you wanted to keep it simple I'll wont use my full potential such as stacking doodads and adding special elements. xD

EDIT2: Lol didn't notice the ground texture limits, owel.

EDIT3: Even with the crappy limit's I managed to make a forest like thing, though I'd prefer to use ashenvale textures, meh. :p
It's very simple, and I didn;t do my best on it but I tried to creat something you want.

It's a forest with a small river running in the middle, because you didn't want it to be monotone I added a shrine, a bandit camp and a destroyed traveler camp.

It also contains a custom doodad, just a doodad that has the model of the tent, and for the shrine I removed size limit of the obelisk.
There is also a small trigger to pauze a ship so it's used as a doodad.

Do with it w/e you want it's yours now. ^^
If you like this style I might make others for you. I can do better if I didn't had limit's though... xD I like stacking doodads.. =(

Attachments

• Forest (Simple).w3x
    56.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Level 4
I shall make you a few if interested, seems easy enough, to bad you decided not to have catacombs anymore, I make kick as terrains for that. :p

I'll do it after my school (so 2 hours from here on.)

EDIT: You're lucky, my school has tyet again failed and the lesson is canceled.
I'll start on the forest now, because you said you wanted to keep it simple I'll wont use my full potential such as stacking doodads and adding special elements. xD

EDIT2: Lol didn't notice the ground texture limits, owel.

EDIT3: Even with the crappy limit's I managed to make a forest like thing, though I'd prefer to use ashenvale textures, meh. :p
It's very simple, and I didn;t do my best on it but I tried to creat something you want.

It's a forest with a small river running in the middle, because you didn't want it to be monotone I added a shrine, a bandit camp and a destroyed traveler camp.

It also contains a custom doodad, just a doodad that has the model of the tent, and for the shrine I removed size limit of the obelisk.
There is also a small trigger to pauze a ship so it's used as a doodad.

Do with it w/e you want it's yours now. ^^
If you like this style I might make others for you. I can do better if I didn't had limit's though... xD I like stacking doodads.. =(

I like it, but it's just a little off. I didn't really want any traces of civilization in that map, except maybe some paths here and there. Also, as specified in the original post, the edges of the map must end in the same way, so the river can't be going right across. Unless someone else, or gavdaman88 does a better job of that map (if he chooses to), I'll probably using my own derivation of it. For the most part though, it's quite good and I can't see myself changing much.

Edit: Oh and you can still make catacombs if you want. I haven't uh... "eliminated" it from my options altogether.

Last edited:
Level 17
I like it, but it's just a little off. I didn't really want any traces of civilization in that map, except maybe some paths here and there. Also, as specified in the original post, the edges of the map must end in the same way, so the river can't be going right across. Unless someone else, or gavdaman88 does a better job of that map (if he chooses to), I'll probably using my own derivation of it. For the most part though, it's quite good and I can't see myself changing much.

Edit: Oh and you can still make catacombs if you want. I haven't uh... "eliminated" it from my options altogether.

It was kinda hard to make a forest using that tileset and I didn't knew what you wanted, just edit it to fit your desires then. :p

For catacombs I can create stuff, but only in dungeon tile set so sorry. :p
If I could use it I would end up with something like this:

Click here.

It takes more effort though etc etc.

May I ask why you want such totally different terrains in your map? :p

Level 4
It was kinda hard to make a forest using that tileset and I didn't knew what you wanted, just edit it to fit your desires then. :p

For catacombs I can create stuff, but only in dungeon tile set so sorry. :p
If I could use it I would end up with something like this:

Click here.

It takes more effort though etc etc.

May I ask why you want such totally different terrains in your map? :p

It's going to be a recreation of the existing Hide And Seek map. I thought of the map idea a while ago and started it before realizing a similar game already existed. I decided I was still going to continue it, but I would have to completely outstage the existing Hide And Seek if mine were to be successful. So that's what I'm planning on doing. As a part of that, I decided to make each round playable on your choice of 1 of 4 tiny maps as opposed to 1 small map, and I just have to adjust the camera bounds. So since it's all in one map, I'm limited to 1 tileset thats accommodated to best fit all 4 settings. So I'm basically going for 3 normal, cheery-mooded maps, and then one dark, spooky-esque map that's the 'hard' one of the game.

I really liked your catacombs map, but it's far from what I'm looking for here. So I've decided to go with Haunted Manor, Town, Farm, Garden, and Forest. I might be able to accommodate all, but I plan on limiting it to 4 of the 5 for now.

If want to suggest me the best tileset you think can be used for all of those maps, go ahead. You'd actually help me out a tonne. But in summary, like said, I'm sticking with those 5 maps (hopefully I won't change descision anymore), and that tileset.

I'll be watching The Wall movie for the next bit, I'll be back on shortly.

Level 17
It's going to be a recreation of the existing Hide And Seek map. I thought of the map idea a while ago and started it before realizing a similar game already existed. I decided I was still going to continue it, but I would have to completely outstage the existing Hide And Seek if mine were to be successful. So that's what I'm planning on doing. As a part of that, I decided to make each round playable on your choice of 1 of 4 tiny maps as opposed to 1 small map, and I just have to adjust the camera bounds. So since it's all in one map, I'm limited to 1 tileset thats accommodated to best fit all 4 settings. So I'm basically going for 3 normal, cheery-mooded maps, and then one dark, spooky-esque map that's the 'hard' one of the game.

I really liked your catacombs map, but it's far from what I'm looking for here. So I've decided to go with Haunted Manor, Town, Farm, Garden, and Forest. I might be able to accommodate all, but I plan on limiting it to 4 of the 5 for now.

If want to suggest me the best tileset you think can be used for all of those maps, go ahead. You'd actually help me out a tonne. But in summary, like said, I'm sticking with those 5 maps (hopefully I won't change descision anymore), and that tileset.

I'll be watching The Wall movie for the next bit, I'll be back on shortly.

(Dalaran Ruins as Main)

Dalaran Ruins - Dirt
Dalaran Ruins - Black Marble
Dalaran Ruins - Square Tiles
Dalaran Ruins - White Marble
Ashenvale - Lumpy Grass
Ashenvale - Leaves
Ashenvale - Grassy Dirt
Cityscape - White Marble
Cityscape - Grass Trim
Village - Cobble Path
Village - Crops

Use these and it's far more easy to create a haunted house, forest, town and a garden (kinda royal like).
At least if I had this tileset I could create them all 4 with overall high quality. :p

Also, it's a hide and seek map, so you mean tag?
Or just really you hide, and somebody has to seek you?

Now with that kind of information I can create good maps. :p

EDIT: Can't you merge town and farm together? That's more realistic because most towns have farms. :p (At least where I live they do and in wc3 aswell. xD)

Level 4
(Dalaran Ruins as Main)

Dalaran Ruins - Dirt
Dalaran Ruins - Black Marble
Dalaran Ruins - Square Tiles
Dalaran Ruins - White Marble
Ashenvale - Lumpy Grass
Ashenvale - Leaves
Ashenvale - Grassy Dirt
Cityscape - White Marble
Cityscape - Grass Trim
Village - Cobble Path
Village - Crops

Use these and it's far more easy to create a haunted house, forest, town and a garden (kinda royal like).
At least if I had this tileset I could create them all 4 with overall high quality. :p

Also, it's a hide and seek map, so you mean tag?
Or just really you hide, and somebody has to seek you?

Now with that kind of information I can create good maps. :p

EDIT: Can't you merge town and farm together? That's more realistic because most towns have farms. :p (At least where I live they do and in wc3 aswell. xD)

In the game, the maps are decorated with doodads and units using doodad models. These are the hiding spots, owned by P11, who give control to the hiders. The hiders can load themselves into the hiding spots. After 30 seconds, the seeker is released to look for them by destroying the hiding spots (they revive at the end of each round). The hiders can change spots during the round, but it is risky.

A town is a large area. Usually the poorer, outskirts of the town have farmland. What I'm going for is the town where it's not really rural or anything, and then the separate farm setting. The problem with what you suggested is the settings are small. It'd be hard to fit both into one map. I'd rather have a consistent theme throughout each one.

Also, for your suggested tileset, it's not bad, but I don't like Dalaran Ruins as a base. I don't really mind the Square Tiles, but the Dirt is far too dark and ugly. I think the best tileset would be the following: (Cityscape as main)

Cityscape - Dirt
Cityscape - Grass
Cityscape - Trim Grass
Cityscape - Black Marble or Brick
Cityscape - Square Tiles
Cityscape - Round Tiles
Cityscape - White Marble
Ashenvale - Lumpy Grass
Village - Crops
Village - Cobble Path

This one may be hard to work with when it comes to forest but it'll probably be most benefiting overall. I just can't decide whether to go with Black Marble or Brick.

Level 9
OK I've made all 5 requested areas, all in the one map all with the same tileset, heck you could probably make a map using this very map if you really wanted!

Hope this is what you're after, if not let me know, otherwise some rep wouldn't go unnoticed :xxd: Been a pleasure working for you tubesock!

Attachments

• tubesock terrain request - by gavdaman88.w3x
    85.7 KB · Views: 54
Level 4
They're a little bit off except for the Town, but no biggie. I'll touch them up myself. Thanks for your help.

Level 4
Not a problem, let me know when you release the map, hide and seek maps are good fun!

Maps? You mean theres more than one? Oh god no. Link me please D:

Oh and, how did you did you put that fountain on top of the other one? I'm very curious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.