• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Technical Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card to withstand the pwnage of the SC2 engine. I'll post my system info below.
Basically I've created this thread for 2 reasons:

1- Suggestions for better improvements on system specs.
2- Post questions/answers from others about their system specs.

So far (with the little research I've done on graphics) I've come to the conclusion that for the cost / capability ratio, a NVIDIA GForce 9800 GTX is my best possibility. It costs around $139.99, and from what I've heard can play SC2 on Ultra.

I'm an occasional WoW player as well, and I know for a fact that Cataclysm will be a revamp of their current engine (considering I *had* a pirated alpha version). The water alone is insanely costly in FPS, though I must say even the Alpha water was damn-well sexy. It has full reflections.. and is about 100x more realistic.

Edit: I took screenshots of the cata alpha.. if anyone is interested send me a PM lol xD

Anyways, back to the main point, if anyone knows a better graphics card other than the NVIDIA GForce 9800 GTX, feel free to post. Please post prices (like walmart prices or even order-online prices) of the graphics card you are talking about.

System specs, thanks to the Blizzard beta hardware scanner:

P.S: This comp was $400 at Costco, which included screen and all.

Operating System:
Windows 2.6.1.7600
(Windows 7)

CPU Type:
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor

CPU Speed (GHz):

System Memory (GB) (RAM):

Video Card Model:
NVIDIA GeForce 9200

Video Card Driver:
nvd3dum.dll

Desktop Resolution:
1920x1080

Hard Disk Size (GB):

Hard Disk Free Space (GB):

Level 8
Those specs aren't too shabby. You have to consider as well that in order for a computer to run well on a certain program that requires a lot of video power, you need not only a good video card, but the rest of the system has to live up to it as well.

Anyways, I have a 9800 GT, and mine works very well (It can also run on Ultra). I think it's the step below yours.

Level 20
9200 is actually WAY worse than a 9800 or 9800 GTX+. 9800 GTX+ is a good card for SC2, but it's pretty old and it's also HUGE. Check its dimensions to see if it actually physically fits in your case if you want to buy it. Also, it overlaps the SATA ports in my case, so I had to buy 90 degree angle SATA cables.

If it fits in your case and you don't care for newer products, you should get the 9800 GTX+ or at least the 9800 GT. However, if you want something newer and more powerful, check out the GTX 460. It's a badass card, it's small, and it's pretty great. The 1 GB version is around 240.00$ CAD.

Yeah I was looking at the 240 GTX and 460 as well, but they are a bit too pricey.
However this computer is literally the smallest computer I have ever seen.
I just quickly googled to see if I could find a pic but blehh.
I made a little stand for it in welding shop that extends up along the sides of it and holds it off the ground by about 1-2 inches. I believe the dimensions of the case are 12" long by 4" wide. The computer fits exactly inside the case and the dimensions were pulled off the Costco website.
Basically.. my computer is very very very small in actual size. I never really thought the 9800 GTX would be any bigger than the 9200, but thank you. +Rep for that info. I have a lot to consider now.

Edit: Also just so you know.. the NVIDIA numbering system works like this:
- The first digit is the ranking system, such as a 9000 serious would be better than an 8000 series, but an 8000 series would be better than a 7000 series.
- However.. the next three digits play a vital role. They signify what 'generation' of the series it is. Considering 9200 is low on the last three digits, it means that it is an older version of the 9000 series.
- Theoretically the 8800 series would be better than the 9200 in every way, considering the 8800 is a newer 8000 series and has had it's bugs and flaws worked out.

Just thought that may help =P

Level 20
The 9800 GTX+ is actually a dual-slot card (so it overlaps the slot next to your PCI-E slot), it's 4.376 inches high and 10.5 inches long. So the card will never fit inside your case :p

Also, you got the convention wrong. The 8000/9000/200/400 represents the generation/series (both meaning the same thing). The other three digits just order the cards in terms of how powerful they rank within their series. The 9200 isn't really older than any other 9 series card, it's just worse than them.

If you're going to be using a more powerful card, you should also check your power supply to be sure that you can support it. Most graphics cards indicate their recommended power supply wattage, so check that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.