• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Teching problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I am a new map maker and i have spawn that makes units but i want to change them when i upgrade the base. Ex: barracks spawn footmen upgrade to necropolis spawn ghouls
I am creating a footmen frenzy type game.

Level 14
Well...I believe you could add some conditions to your tiggers that would determine the type of building you have and then spawn the correct creatures.

Ok, so do the following:

Code:
Event - Unit - YOURMAINBASE Finishes an upgrade
Condition - (Researched tech-type) Equal to NECROPOLIS
Action - Set Undead == 1
            Set Human == 0
            Set NightElf == 0
            Set Orc == 0

Ok so let me explain. The Undead, Human, NightElf and Orc are "real" variables. They will determine the type of bulding you chose(in footmen frenzy there are undead, orc, human, nightelf, etc...) and the number will determine what level the building is, so for example, if you have a CULTOFTHEDAMNED which would be a level 3 undead building and you want to update it to a level 4 Nightelf building you will do the following:

Code:
Event - Unit - YOURMAINBASE Finishes an upgrade
Condition - (Researched tech-type) Equal to CHIMERAROST
Action - Set Undead == 0
            Set Human == 0
            Set NightElf == 4
            Set Orc == 0

I assumed that the CHIMERAROST is the level 4 night elf building.

Ok, now that we have our trigger that will tell us what is your buildings level/type we need to make spawn triggers:

Code:
Event - Every 10 seconds
Condition - NightElf Equal to 4.00
Action - Unit - Create 2 Chimeras for player 1 at center of YOURREGION facing default building degrees

Now, just change the conditions and the units you want to be spawned and things will work smothe.

There is a problem however. You will need to make a variable that is called YOURMAINBASE and will store the building that your main base is currently(necropolis, barracks, cult of the damned, etc.).
This isn't a real problem, but I am not sure how you would do this exactly since I rarely handle unit variables, but if you are good with the WE you will find a way to do this easily.

Also note that this might not be the best way, but it is the only one I can think of at this moment. Further more, you should find an unprotected version of footmen wars/frenzy and study it in the WE.

Hope this helps,

Kafana

Level 4
If you are a noob then better start reading TUTORIALS first.
Come on If you don't want to read TUTORIALS then don't make a map.

Level 8
Try that (if you understand variable)
(P.S. Its an unit-type variable). It's a trigger for red player.
  • Trigger
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finish an Upgrade
    • Conditions
      • (Researched tech-type) Equal to Necropolis
    • Actions
      • Set UNIT_RED = Ghoul
  • Spawn
    • Events
      • Time - Every 10.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 UNIT_RED for Player 1 (Red) at WHERE YOU WANT facing THE ORIENTATION YOU WANT

Level 4
listerfiend1111, no offense, but if you didn't know how to set a variable, maybe you should start with something a bit simpler than trying to make a Footies game? Besides, why make a game that's already been done to death, and DONE WELL, when your version (based upon your inexperience in mapping) will most likely be very inferior to what is already out there.

My suggestion, practice with a simple map. Find unprotected maps, see what they do and learn how they do it. And come up with an original idea that hasn't been done yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.