• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[System] Automatic Memory Leak Destroyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Come on there is a lot of fun to be had with GUI. It is more challenging in many respects however in some others it's easier and more fun. You need GUI to choose which model to choose from, for example. And GUI is the best way to import variables over if you're using vanilla JASS (ie. you are on a Mac or you are too cautious to download JNGP).

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
^true

I could make a system that creates a rect and moves it around for who knows what reason. It does it's job, but logically speaking, should it be approved? Hell no.

This system shouldn't destroy leaks, but instead, it should warn the user that he's leaking. GUI users would find that useful.
I Totally agree, makes no sense making all the job to a newb triggerer when he doesn't know anything, if that happens they don't learn nothing, they only get happy because they are rid of leaks, if they were warnned, they would use that as an experience of how to remove leaks or what kind of leaks there are.

Level 21
WEU hacked the DLLs directly.
war3map.j is a text file, it's not hard to modify it ;p

http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=84417

I'm just wondering what it would take to create a completely new editor for this game and what it takes to modify the existing one to include custom modules or functionalities. I am completely sure that some of the things in the editor could be done better(such as allowing custom ubersplats).

Level 21
To those that write negative comments about this system:

We're all morons that we're not using hexadecimal. We should be editing our maps by modifying every single file by hand. It's much more efficient and gives greater control over the maps we make.
But guess what? It's a nightmare to do it like that, even though it can be more efficient.
The same is with this system. Yes, it makes people lazier, but so does the world editor.
I think that it's a step up. Don't like it? Don't use it then. Many of us know how to stay efficient without using this(me too), but for the newer people this system makes the learning curve less steep.
What if they won't learn proper methods at all? - Then it just means that they don't need to. If they can make functional maps without clearing leaks themself, then there's nothing wrong with it. Eventually they'll find places where they need more efficiency and that's when they learn how to do things themselves.
Amount of system power taken starting from best(lowest) solution:
1.JASS/vJASS with proper leak clearing
2.This system and GUI
3.GUI and no clearing at all(We all started at this)

We should call this GUI#

^See what I did there?

hahahaha... nice one...

What if they won't learn proper methods at all? - Then it just means that they don't need to. If they can make functional maps without clearing leaks themself, then there's nothing wrong with it.

also, it's a fact that technology makes us less intelligent in some things but allows us to be more intelligent in some other things or do things more efficiently in that thing...

Let's take a simple situation:

The CALCULATOR

Before the calculator:

People know how to manually do calculations (as in super manually, like drawing figures and using rulers to obtain the trigo functions)

After the calculator:

You just input things into the calculator and poof you have the answer

Now you don't even need to know how the calculator actually calculates those values... But it allows you to do more calculations in a smaller amount of time, and perform higher end calculations that you might not wanna do manually (or might not even be physically possible to do manually)...

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
This not helpful at all.
If your friend needs a job, you don't help find some useless crappy hokus pokus - e.g.: selling sand on the desert - for the sake of him getting a job.
Releasing for the sake of releasing != approval worthy resource. Bribe pointed this out clearly.
This resource DOES NOT meet criteria for approval.
Let's hope this gets graveyarded soon. Just need to get Iceman here, since it seems he is the only modder for jass section.

Status
Not open for further replies.