• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Swindlers: Noblemen and Thieves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
swindlers-logo-hive.png

Table of Contents

Last updated: 9th april, 2012
  1. Preface
  2. Swindlers Gameplay
  3. Development Progress

collapse_thead.gif

Preface

So there I was, sitting on my ass, thinking, a map must be made with these hands of mine one way or another. Constantly lurking the Hive tutorial base has set my mind to big and great things, but my map making skills yet to be tested in the World Editor. For a brief moment I was convinced I wanted to make a Zombie Arena map, which I thought I should REALLY work on to make it balanced for 2 to 8 players. Everything was all roses and lilies until I realized, these maps have been overdone one too many times. I based my idea on the original Zombie Arena by Unbekannt, which was outdated. Thinking that I was the only one trying this was quite naive though. Every idea I thought of was better executed in Death Front v1.2, by a polisher (aesthetics supporter) named Perfeks. Good tooltips, simple interface, injury system etc. made me drop the project.

Few weeks later, after playing Munchkin with friends, I thought: "This board game is so tight, has anyone ever thought of making it in Warcraft III?". A day later Swindlers 0.19 was born and so was my cration spirit.

collapse_thead.gif

Swindlers Gameplay

Description

The main idea circles around gaining the most gold before the round ends. Players can pillage gold from others, hide their trasure, sell stolen goods and backstab their friends or enemies with curses, traps etc. This game will try to make the user feel how easy it is to get to the top and fall back down after someone has stolen all their savings or found a way to trick you to giving him the gold.

One round lasts 10, 15 or 20 minutes. Players new to the game will be prompted to play longer to learn the game mechanics in a slow paced and controlled environment (by teaching the basics and educating the player with cleverly placed opportunities will make this game easy to play, hard to master).

The real fun starts at the 10 or 15 minute rounds, where split second decisions will require planing ahead of whether to buy an item or not, to curse somebody or wait until they're trying to sneak up on you and trap them. It's all up to the player and his friends/foes.

TL;DL Game of tricking your gullible fellow players of their gold.

Concepts
  • Gold vaults are located in the player start locations
  • Multiboard of values updated every 30 seconds, changes of income shown green and loss - red. (late info for espionage purposes)
  • Players control slow heroes with no attacks, only spells.
  • Players can only slay others while they're in their zone/region.
  • Daytime/night specific spells.
  • Game not based on stats in any way.
  • Randomly spawning items given to players announced to everyone, so they avoid/envy.
  • Spell 'Stealth' is very useful, increases movement speed and renders invisible for short period, large cooldown to be used strategically as escape/backstab.
  • Spell 'Pillage' takes a little time to charge up, steals gold as items (gold satchels).
  • Only a few items can be carried at a time, stealth effect reduced carrying gold.
  • Curses and Traps spawn randomly as items in inventories.
  • If inventory full, new items dropped and can be stolen by others.
  • Player vault able to summon vision owl for a brief time (espionage).

- To be updated...

Current Map Layout
swindlers-map-layout.png

collapse_thead.gif

Development Progress

Gameplay Idea: 30%
Units: --
Terrain: 10%
Triggers: --
Balancing: --
Polishing: --

Any comments, constructive criticism or ideas very much welcome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.