• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Swampling's Lullaby

Swampling's Lullaby
icons_1197_btn.jpg
Map Description:
A while with no new maps, this time I present a Ashenvale map and for the very first time I used custom models. I am not sure about the results but I'll leave it for you to find out. Have fun. A 2v2 melee map, it does not really support deathmatch gameplay because of the lay out. Also this map has various gold mines. Please give feedback and rate. You might also find something very, very deadly wandering around the map...

UPLOADING LATER
Bigger size images can be found in my album. Icons by Blizzard.
icons_650_btn.jpg
Change Log
• Uploaded

icons_602_btn.jpg
Information
• Creep Camps
- 8 Green Camps
- 14 Orange Camps
- 4 Red Camps
• Neutral Buildings
- 10 Gold Mines
- 2 Goblin Merchants
- 4 Mercenary Camps
- 1 Fountain of Health
- 2 Tavern

Credits:Eubz, HappyTauren, FrIkY

Keywords:
Swampling, Swamp, Remixer, Ashenvale, Monster, Fountain, Middle, 2v2, Epic, Thunder, Roaming, Lighting, Chocolate Cookies
Contents

Swampling's Lullaby (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet19:55, 4th July 2013 Map Approved College of Conjurers (No Version/s Stated) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...

M

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet19:55, 4th July 2013

Comment

Review

Map Approved
College of Conjurers (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"The game play is smooth and well executed, although the map has 4 same mercenary camps how about make the other neutral building a Felwood version? since both themes are considered to be nature."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"I like the idea of the terrain of new cliffs, and trees, but the problem with height ground is that it has no strategic proportions anymore, since Blizzard made an idea that cliffs can bring neutral support to those who are on top of it and increase range/sight while the opposing one has no sight and a chance to miss."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"To my testings, map is good to go and accepted to be recommended to everyone."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
12/1590%B

Level 28
*Clicks Pending Map*

*See map from another Classic Melee Mapper*

*Plays the map*

20 mins later

*Orgasm*

The above RP should explain it all but for the love of God I'll elaborate it. Seeing another work from one of my favorite mapper just really made my day and is it fate that its also the day that I got my allowance?! Damn I'm so happy. Another map from Remixer and Ken-E announced that we should expect a new melee from him made this second half of the year super fucking exciting.

So lets head to the review shall we?

How fucking nice it is to see a proper manipulation of tiles and the use of imported materials both in the same map, it just made the terrain so attractive. I really love how you visualize the swamp terrain, its eerie, dark, realistic and yet so refreshing, you should be thankful on how you use the tiles here cause they just blend perfectly on the fog and how you made those cliffs using the height tools is just really nice, some terrainers are already happy if they were able to use the height tool to make a few bumps, hills and mountains which is so basic. My only complain is that even though your terrain is so seductive its still empty, flat and wide open on a lot of parts, I dunno if you just run out of ideas or got lazy or something but you should try to work on those empty parts more. And since you already imported some materials why not push it to the fullest? Like my In the End map or something like that.

Anyway about the gameplay, I really love the Swampling guy, I trained a few knights and some riflemen and attacked it with my level 7 Blood Mage and thought I can take it down until the moment when he summoned some Thunder Lizard that raped my army. I also noticed that after I killed Mr. Swampling I can hear thunder or something like that. What is that? Sounds cool IMO. Anyway, drops are fine and there are enough neutral creeps to farm with, neutral buildings placed perfectly, there are a lot of routes to build strategical points and I think having two taverns are fine.

In my book, this melee map is just sexy and should inspire a lot of melee mappers who spend some fucking few hours thinking they did something great. Good job good sir.

5/5

And fuck orcy for reviewing this first. I was here for a good damn 30 minutes writing my sexy review. ;p

AND YOU DIDN'T PLAY WITH MR. SWAMPLING ORCY??! PLAY THE MAP AGAIN!

Level 30
Swampling's Lullaby Review

Introduction

Here is my review for your map. I will never miss any melees from you for they are quite better and this iss quite good though some problems but not that big as you think and is only minor

Unexpected tab 1

[tab][tabheader]Good Points:[/tabheader]
  • Terrain is really good though blizzard tiles with HD trees quite doesnt go with the belnd and also the trees doesnt fit with a swampy area for me. You should change those trees to somethign more that fits. Also some areas in game can still be raised because they are quite flat but remember raising too much will do no good also.
  • Map has required resources and you know what I mean I think.
  • Player positioning looks good
  • Creeps are balanced
[/tab]

[tab][tabheader]Bad Points:[/tabheader]
  • Weird bug but when I started game with full house which is 4 players suddenly one player got defeated for no reason and I do think this is quite a random occurance to me or bug.
[/tab]

[tab][tabheader]Suggestions:[/tabheader]
  • There is no perfect terrain so go on and improve your work. One's idea to improve something is endless.
  • I dont know if this is with your game but if its please fix the random bug that appeared causing a player to be defeated without a purpose or reason
[/tab]

Comment

Overall, this is a really good melee map with quite a good terrain, has all neautral buildings or resources as I call them, balanced creeps and well positioned players.

Ratings: 4/5
Additionals: +4 REP

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
-the Satyr in the north near the Goblin Merchant looks towards the north instead of facing southward
-I don't think the Swampling patrolling like that is a good idea for a melee map and it having a chance based damage (11-138) + a very slow attack speed

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
-the Satyr in the north near the Goblin Merchant looks towards the north instead of facing southward
-I don't think the Swampling patrolling like that is a good idea for a melee map and it having a chance based damage (11-138) + a very slow attack speed

It's not a classic melee map, as you probably noticed. It has something "special" in it.

Honestly, this map is beyond the rating system. Even giving it a 5 star is an understatement.

+ Bamboo trees. Is there any other map that use these? They are aesthetic as heaven. Already I am exporting them so I can use them on other melee maps

+ The Swampling. Oh was I all excited playing 2v2 on this map.

+The triggers. The triggers are finely scripted.

This deserves some serious discussion. In early game, Swampling's presence has tremendously increased the complexity of rushes. Our opponents were quite committed to it, and it was hugely epic when Swampling suddenly wandered by and stepped into our skirmishes in the southern half of the map. Oh the many ghouls and footmen he slaughtered~~~it was an outright glorious sight!

In mid game(I define this stage by when everyone has taken their natural expansion), both sides have to include Swampling's presence in their strategies. Somehow it was possible to draw his attention and kite him into the opponent team so he can wreck them. On the other hand, it is also possible to visit the Fountain of Life at night and heal up with Swampling sleeping.

In late game, the thunder-rain weather that follows the epic creature's demise was like the Gods scolding us for having conducted a foul deed!~however mighty that may had been. This would also be the time when everyone knows Swampling has been slain and both sides commit to destroying each other. How the Swampling have actually kept the fragile peace between us!

Thus, in my mind, I rename this map as "Attack on Swampling". Really, if anyone were to fight a titan in Warcraft, this would be it!
Oh, have you~seen that anime too?

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
In late game, the thunder-rain weather that follows the epic creature's demise was like the Gods scolding us for having conducted a foul deed!~however mighty that may had been. This would also be the time when everyone knows Swampling has been slain and both sides commit to destroying each other. How the Swampling have actually kept the fragile peace between us!

Thus, in my mind, I rename this map as "Attack on Swampling". Really, if anyone were to fight a titan in Warcraft, this would be it!
Oh, have you~seen that anime too?
I somehow have the feeling you are going like the upcoming map (5) Quagmire. There will be quite a few interesting things to see, like loric connection to this very map. Who knows, if Mr. Swampling can be seen on Quagmire too.

I have seen the first season, please no spoilers.

I somehow have the feeling you are going like the upcoming map (5) Quagmire. There will be quite a few interesting things to see, like loric connection to this very map. Who knows, if Mr. Swampling can be seen on Quagmire too.

I have seen the first season, please no spoilers.

Ballsy. If it is the Quagmire from WoW you mean, the atmosphere would be challenging to capture. Not to mention the complexity of balancing an odd-number map

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Ballsy. If it is the Quagmire from WoW you mean, the atmosphere would be challenging to capture. Not to mention the complexity of balancing an odd-number map
Has nothing to do with World of Warcrafy, so a new kind of Quagmire. The map is not completely symmetrhic which I intentionally did, so there might be some inbalances at first.

Has nothing to do with World of Warcrafy, so a new kind of Quagmire. The map is not completely symmetrhic which I intentionally did, so there might be some inbalances at first.

By all means, make it fun rather than balanced

I imagine the only way to have an "absolute" balance on a 5-player map is to make it pentagon, which is not all that exciting
Just something I found below. It's not War3, but one of those solutions which does not design a 5-player with a pentagon
5 Player Preset Map Suggestion | Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
By all means, make it fun rather than balanced

I imagine the only way to have an "absolute" balance on a 5-player map is to make it pentagon, which is not all that exciting
Just something I found below. It's not War3, but one of those solutions which does not design a 5-player with a pentagon
5 Player Preset Map Suggestion | Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)

The lay out resembles a pentagon, but the creep camps and other pin points of the map are not mirrored, instead each of the areas are done individually. Also, originally the map was going to feature 7 players, but some rought design choses were done.

The lay out resembles a pentagon, but the creep camps and other pin points of the map are not mirrored, instead each of the areas are done individually. Also, originally the map was going to feature 7 players, but some rought design choses were done.

Understandable. Since you did do the areas individually rather than having them follow the pentagon layout through~is the map designed specifically to conduct FFA, or is it also able to support a balanced 2v2 on the side?

The fact that I am saying "fun" for FFA but "balance" for 2v2 is because a pentagon is still a symmetric shape, since you can split it into 2 equal halves. Same goes for a 7-player map. And the way you put it, I believe a 2v2-able result is possible

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Understandable. Since you did do the areas individually rather than having them follow the pentagon layout through~is the map designed specifically to conduct FFA, or is it also able to support a balanced 2v2 on the side?

The fact that I am saying "fun" for FFA but "balance" for 2v2 is because a pentagon is still a symmetric shape, since you can split it into 2 equal halves. Same goes for a 7-player map. And the way you put it, I believe a 2v2-able result is possible
I think you just answered your own question, yes, the map is somewhat symmetric so of course you can split it in half.