• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Summon Building for mana Ability (how?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi guys! I'm unexperienced WorldEdit user.
I need help with creating a spellbook, which allows to summon several Undead structures.

When I started with one building, it went good (spell was based on Tiny Castle), but then I've experienced base order id problems.

I've just learned about Channel spell, but I don't know how to configure it for this specific function. (and if is it possible at all)

Thank you very much in advance!
P.S. I've attached map file just in case.

Attachments

• (12)IceCrown Lich.w3x
    354.6 KB · Views: 19

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Unfortunately, there's no way to let's say add a "Slow" effect to an ability in the Object Editor. Abilities are what they are, and if you want to add additional effects you will have to trigger them. So if you want an ability that slows you'll either need to trigger it or use Slow, Cripple, etc...

And about Channel. Channel is basically just a blank ability that has some additional features most abilities don't normally have. It's doesn't actually do anything in terms of "stunning, slowing, damaging". In other words, it's designed to be used with triggers.

Anyway, let's get to your problem. Like I said above, you can't configure Channel (or any ability) to have the effects of the Tiny Castle ability, but you can trigger an ability based off of Channel to have a very similar effect to it. I can help you out with triggering this but first I need to know a few things.

1) How many units/players can have this Spellbook ability? Is it just one unit? One player?
2) Is the building's placement image important to you/would you care if it wasn't there? And by placement image I mean the green square/image of the structure that you see when you're choosing a location to place it.
3) Is there a reason why we have to use a Spellbook? What's wrong with just allowing your unit to build structures?

Last edited:
Level 3
Hello, Uncle!
Thank you very much for the answer!

The idea was simple: modify the melee map to alter User gameplay, with AI-players staying untouched.

User doesn't have starting units, except modified Lich Hero, which has a lot of active abilities (so there is no place for buttons and I had to use the spellbook), including Summon Necropolis for 300 mana.
So user has the choice:
1. To fight endlessly, raising dead to fill his army.
2. To build to base, to get additional unit types and imbue Lich abilities with upgrades.

When I'd tested all thing, I discovered the fact, that even if you Summon Necropolis, you won't have enough lumber to build Haunted Gold Mine. Moreover, even if I give User enough lumber, the building can be cancelled in many situations and the game will be ruined. So I've decided to provide my Lich with ability to Summon not only Necropolis, but other basic buildings: Haunted Gold Mine, Crypt, Ziggurat.

To sum up:
1) Only 1 unit, controlled by 1 player (not AI)
2) Placement image sounds nice, but I understand how difficult it can be. So I don't care. I'm still worried about collision of summoned objects - can it be taken into consideration? (I mean minimal placement requirements: "Buildable")
3) Unit spellbar is completely filled with more often used spells.

I'll attach the latest version of the map:

Attachments

• BreathOfDeathLich.7z
    344.8 KB · Views: 17

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Alright, so I added a decent chunk of stuff here.

1) I added a Spellbook menu system that allows up to 3 pages of abilities in your Unholy Sorcery Spellbook. You can increase this limit but you'll have to edit the "Unholy Sorcery Change Pages" trigger to do so.
Now don't feel like you have to use this system, you could always just add more Spellbooks inside of your Unholy Sorcery Spellbook, if you even want to. Anyway, it's there if you want it. Delete it if you don't need it :p

2) I created a system for summoning multiple Structures with mana/cooldown. It's not perfect, but I think it's satisfactory. How it works is we create a Set Structure ability for every single Structure that we want to Summon. This ability is based off of Channel and won't suffer from Order ID issues because of this. When we cast one of our Set Structure abilities, we add it's corresponding Summon Tiny Structure ability and immediately order your Hero to start casting it. This gives the illusion that these are the same abilities when really we're using 2 abilities in one. Test it out ingame to get a better understanding.

Issues:
One issue that I can't get around is the cooldown on your Set abilities. The cooldown starts BEFORE you actually place the structure, so if it takes your Hero 30 seconds to reach it's destination and summon a Necropolis, the cooldown will have already expired for 30 seconds.

I imagine Blizzard with their Reforged updates will address this eventually... They'll probably just fix the Order ID issues entirely, lol.

Anyway, I hope you find this acceptable. If you don't like the cooldown thingy I could try to come up with something different but it probably won't look as good-I was aiming for as close to Warcraft 3 mechanics as possible with this. Also, if you need help with setting up the Spellbooks, I can walk you through it. I understand if everything looks confusing when you're trying to read the triggers I made, it's a bit much to take in at once especially if you're inexperienced.

Attachments

• BreathOfDeathLich Uncle Edit.w3x
    377.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Level 3
Thank you for your help! I'll study these scripts with great pleasure!

Unfortunately, I can't do it now. I suppose I've got wrong client version (1.26.0.6401)
b0836706d8.png

Status
Not open for further replies.