• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Stupid moment... How do I build "wall"s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I should clarify things here. I've created some walls which are classified "Mechanical", as they should be, but I want them to be targeted as "Wall", and only "Wall". Sorta like a buildable destructible or doodad, I suppose. The problem is that once the builder begins construction, it immediately stops and can no longer continue working on the wall.

------------------------------

I wanna make a unit build structures which are ONLY classified as "wall" (messing with Kitabatake's stone walls), but as soon as the units start construction, they stop, and can't be made to continue on it. Am I missing something here, or are units only able to build structures that are actually classified as a "structure"?

I suppose if I really want to build walls that are just "wall"s, I could set a trigger to remove the structure classification upon completion...

EDIT: I see that I cannot really remove classifications, even with the "Remove Classification" trigger. Not for the purposes of targeting, at least.

ANOTHER EDIT: Dr Super Good got my wires uncrossed. I don't mean "Stats - Unit Classification", I mean "Targeted As".

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Firstly there is no "Classification" type "Wall". Secondly the "Target as" type "Wall" makes no difference to if a unit can be built or not.

I am guessing you forgot to give your worker the appropriate build abilities. This means your worker can place foundations but cannot actually build the building after they are placed.

Human buildings require workers with "Repair (Human)" to be constructed as without that the worker will be unable to build the building after placing the foundation. Orc, Night Elf and Undead buildings have no such restriction and are built by the foundation placing unit.

I tested by changing the Human Farm to "Target as" type "Structure, Wall" and it was built without any problems in game. Maybe if you remove structure it cannot be built (did not try that) but certainly you can build buildings that are target as type Wall.

Level 2
Okay, my mistake, there is no "wall" classification, yes. I meant "Targeted As". I just want these specific buildings to be targeted as "wall" and nothing else... and it does seem to be all that's preventing me from building these walls, 'cause before, I had them targeted as "structure" AND "wall", and they were buildable then, but not after I removed "structure".

I know of no "appropriate build abilities". All I know of is the "Build" button which is added in-game when a unit is able to construct something.

The unit naturally has "Repair", as I copied a peasant for this worker, and it'd be sorta silly for a worker to be unable to repair his or her own buildings... unless that's part of the way things work in someone's map.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The unit naturally has "Repair", as I copied a peasant for this worker, and it'd be sorta silly for a worker to be unable to repair his or her own buildings... unless that's part of the way things work in someone's map.
It must be able to target the foundations for them to build. Otherwise you will have to resort to Undead, Nightelf or Orc building as all of those are subject to different building requirements.

It could very well be that repair is hard coded to only work on structures. Just like how Holy Light is hard coded with targets.

Level 2
Mm, perhaps it is hard-coded... but now I've got another idea. I'll simply replace the "structure"-type buildings with "wall"-type copies after completion, through a trigger. I'll see if I can repair them with simply having "wall" added into the repair targets.

It seems that things that are targeted as "wall" alone can't even be targeted by units which have walls as one of their allowed targets, like a Mortar Team. Perhaps I should abandon this line of thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.