• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Stun group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fud

Fud

Level 3
I am trying to create a spell that stuns and damages all enemy units within a radius of an enemy target.
The issue i have encountered is this: there appears to be no way to stun a group of units. Also, when i do "Unit-Damage Area" the damage is dealt to all units enemy or not. I have not even begun to look at animations but since this is my first spell... how would i make the units appear to catch fire for a short time. Please help. if i use your advice i will put your name in the credits on my map (fvg fn)

Level 37
  • Untitled Trigger 136
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Animate Dead
    • Actions
      • Set u = (Triggering unit)
      • Set point = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 300.00 of point matching ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of u)) Equal to True))) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Cause u to damage (Picked unit), dealing 500.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
          • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for Neutral Passive at point facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Mountain King - Storm Bolt (Picked unit)
          • Unit - Add a 1.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_point)
Create a dummy unit that has a custom ability based on Storm Bolt.

Give the dummy unit Locust ability, disable shadow, set cast point to 0 etc. Make the custom Storm Bolt cost no mana.

Once you get that working, we can take a look at adding timed damage.

Fud

Fud

Level 3
not timed damage... instant damage like frost nova that stuns.

Fud

Fud

Level 3
my new approach idea is to use triggers to create a unit at the location of the target that is invulnerable that would cast a stomp spell. This seems to be a good idea except the unit is just not spawning... I am using the "unit-create units facing point" function and it just doesn't spawn the unit. I also do not see how to force the unit to cast the stomp once its spawned... please help.

oh and the storm bolt idea doesn't work because if i set the area of effect to 800 even though it may damage multiple targets it still only damages the initial target.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
It is simple to stun a group of unit :

You must creat a group of unit :
Pick every unit around the point of target spell of 300 radius.
Creat a condition : If picked unit is a allied of owner of triggening unit = FALSE
Cause damage to picking unit dealing 500 damage...
Pause Picked unit.
Creat special effect [special effect +1](choose your effect to show the stun, like spiral for thunder bolt).
End of the loop
Wait (the time that the stun is during).
Creat a group of unit around the point of target spell ...
If picked unit is a allied of owner of triggening unit = FALSE
Unpause Picked unit
Destroy special effect [special effect +1]

Type : Special effect is an integer to count the number of effect created by the stun and to destroy it at the end of the trigger.

If you need it, I'll creat the trigger to show it.
I had created many spell, if you need help^^.

Level 4
Vincent, your trigger is bad. Pause isn't Stun. Why do you use only triggers when you can use abilityes.

When you pause an unit, the unit can't do anything, she's freeze.
I think when you stun an unit, she's can do anything too.
For me it is similar^^.

I already use it for Ice spell, or etangle spell and it works.
It may be works too for a stun.

A dummy unit with war stomp may works too.

Fud

Fud

Level 3
i looked at makers but i actually dont see how to do the "unit group" action. I see options similar but they only allow me to list a single boolean while his has 2 or 3... I also don't see the option to do "alive" or "owner" it checked the lists and just dont see it... so it seems to me dummy with war stomp is the better approach but as i said the damn dummy isnt spawning. I used create unit at target point facing caster and it just doesnt create unit. Can someone help me with the war stomp idea rather than simply telling me to do it :p remember this is my first spell so i don't know much and alot of things i can't find. Please Help! thanks for the advice so far

Fud

Fud

Level 3
Okay i finally understand makers set up. This is probably last question (taking forever cuz ive been having problems with computer) okay so how do u do "loop-actions" and the "do action" part of the unit group function... its just... not on the list. please respond asap i wanna finally be done with this. Its the only thing holding me from releasing my map. Thank You! I am giving maker credit in loading screen... What name would u like listed? just "maker"?

Level 8
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area)) and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
Then you can add as many If Then Else as you want within.

Fud

Fud

Level 3
yah i got thaaat... i just dont see an option allowing me to create the loop. What is it called? also im trying to make the damage and stun time of the spell vary relative to the level of the spell its based on. my approach was to make a variable called "level" that is an integer and set it as level of <spell> for "u" but in arithmetic function it doesn't let me load anything but "real"variables which i cannot set to level of <spell>

nGy

nGy

Level 11
Using the War Stomp-method has at least two little disadvantages: First is: (Afaik) war stomp uses a terrain deformation. Second: In special cases you might want to stun allies. War stomp won't do this.

Last edited:

Fud

Fud

Level 3
okay thanks to that. I had single action instead of multiple that was the issue. thank you

Fud

Fud

Level 3
thats what i got... its damn near identical to makers and.... nothing doesnt do anything!
just casts banish! before i tryed to under loop do specific damage and pause wait 1 second unpause but same thing...
oh and i did create the unit and the spell and attached the custom spell... the spell is enabled and turned on. only time i got this thing working is before loop when i had "unit group - pick every unit..." repeated before every single action

Level 8
Did you add the ability of storm bolt to the dummy unit?
Your not spawning the dummy at point of unit, your spawning it in the middle of the map

Point should be a location vairable, not a unit, you want to set it to position of unit, Target of ability being cast

change Triggering unit to, unit casting ability

Fud

Fud

Level 3
well i made some fixes and still nothing... dummy has storm bolt but dummy isnt hero and storm bolt his hero spell is this an issue? the dummy shooould appear right? i should see it right? anyway heres new trigger
  • New Spell
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to blah
    • Actions
      • Set u = (Triggering unit)
      • Set point = (Targeted unit)
      • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 300.00 of (Position of point) matching ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of u)) Equal to True))) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Cause u to damage (Picked unit), dealing 500.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
          • Unit - Create 1 dummy for (Owner of u) at (Position of point) facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Mountain King - Storm Bolt (Picked unit)
          • Unit - Add a 1.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
it says "human mountain king -storm bolt" but since i made a new spell for it how would it recognize not to use ACTUAL storm bolt?

The whole trigger isnt working... i tested it with a special effect and it doesnt even do that... the hero is casting the correct spell and it is assigned to conditions... idk why its not working but it was working earlier and i didnt change a thing.

im kinda done trying for this... any of u can prolly write it in a few minutes. if someone would just write it and give it to me ill put ur name on credits and ill have it released and autohosted by tomorrow... An earlier, buggier version is already pretty popular and has over 100 games to date... (i released it like last week too)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fud

Fud

Level 3
thank you very much maker. animations r great and the effect is exactly what i asked for. i will give u credit for your creation good to see this is finally over ><

Fud

Fud

Level 3
is there anyway to remove the shock animation effect from the units? since the range is extended it now appears it is a lightning spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.