• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Stuck finding names?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hey, that thing is really good ^_^ Still, I think that if your character is more important and not some minor sidestory character, you should think of a name on your own, to make him or her have a more special and personal feel to you. But I've occasionally had the problem of coming up with names for some of the more minor characters and a thing like this is very good for that, nice ^_^

Level 35
Names for fantasy genre books follow this pattern:

Language > vocabulary > names

In order to have a consistent and believable world, you need to either base your names off of an existing language (that language being used in your book, such as Welsh, Old English, French, etc). Or use your own, or someone Else's and devise a name from the vocabulary those languages provide.

Having the name X'provadalus, or Gilvezgorn, or Fandorgon, or Landondalf, in a world were these random words don't have any place or meaning is rather bothersome, since there can't be any expansion or history behind the name itself.

Names like Samuel, for example, have a meaning rooted in Hebrew, the name "Samuel" having been Romanized from the Greek version which was Grecian'd from the original Hebrew.

Names are important in a work of fiction, and should not be simply 'thrown in', or generated. But carefully carved, since the name is what the character is.

Gandalf is a wizard, Frodo is a hobbit, Wiglaf is a faithful squire to Beowulf who is a great hero, Ginny Weasley is a crushing, shy girl, and Eilonwy is a princess who falls for a pig keeper.

Names are precious gifts that wrap up the character.

Level 5
Names for fantasy genre books follow this pattern:

Language > vocabulary > names

In order to have a consistent and believable world, you need to either base your names off of an existing language (that language being used in your book, such as Welsh, Old English, French, etc). Or use your own, or someone Else's and devise a name from the vocabulary those languages provide.

Having the name X'provadalus, or Gilvezgorn, or Fandorgon, or Landondalf, in a world were these random words don't have any place or meaning is rather bothersome, since there can't be any expansion or history behind the name itself.

Names like Samuel, for example, have a meaning rooted in Hebrew, the name "Samuel" having been Romanized from the Greek version which was Grecian'd from the original Hebrew.

Names are important in a work of fiction, and should not be simply 'thrown in', or generated. But carefully carved, since the name is what the character is.

Gandalf is a wizard, Frodo is a hobbit, Wiglaf is a faithful squire to Beowulf who is a great hero, Ginny Weasley is a crushing, shy girl, and Eilonwy is a princess who falls for a pig keeper.

Names are precious gifts that wrap up the character.

But if someone is completely stuck they can look at those names and still "carve" out a pretty good name.

Level 14
I agree with Elenai that generators are kinda cheating, but in a situation like a minor character or if you're really stuck, this generator is really quite useful. Also, it's rather fun to use if you're extremely bored :D

What Tolkien did was take a bunch of different languages (Welsh, Old English, Middle English, etc..) and changed them a little, or took parts of them. You should look up on Wikipedia how many languages he knew. That is insane.

He also borrowed heavily from Historical names and ideas. I know that's what I try to do in my own writing.

I think I remember a TV show saying Peter Jackson looked to Welsh for the way the elves spoke, and the pronunciation and such. (Yes that was a little Welsh pride from me.)

Anyway, good link. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.