• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] String to floating text/variable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello, I'm going to make a trigger for my map, and I need to change Chat String entered by player to Variable and/or floating text.

For example:
Player types chat message "Hello" now the trigger sets variable to be used later and/or creates floating text "Hello".

I hope you will help me =)!

I guess you want a chat system displayed above the character.
You would need a floating text and a timer.
Once the player types something, check if FloatingText[Player number of(Triggering player)] is not null. If it is, create a floating text with the message (Entered chat string) and fire a timer. When the timer expires, destroy the floating text. If the FloatingText[Player number of (Triggering player)] is not null, use the Floating Text - Change text instead, to save extra calls and reset the timer attached to that player.

You use also use a recycling method of floating texts, to prevent creation and destruction all the time or Hide Floating text, when the text is supposed to be destroyed and move it to the character's location, by unhiding it, once something is typed by its owner.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
do like this
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing <Empty String> as A substring
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set string_variable = (Entered chat string)
      • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads (Entered chat string) at (Center of (Playable map area)) with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
or like this (RECOMENDED)
  • Untitled Trigger 001 Copy
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing <Empty String> as A substring
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set string_variable = (Entered chat string)
      • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads string_variable at (Center of (Playable map area)) with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency

Status
Not open for further replies.