• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

story based rpgs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
is it just me or are there not many good story based rpgs(single or multiplayer) if there are some you like tell me them and do u know if any good ones are being made

Level 8
there isnt many... like all the lotr games that are either massing or unbalanced, noone has been succesful with a lotr map!

and in rpg's u can save in theres always a way to cheat... you might say there isnt but there is!

Level 22
There are plenty of great single player story-driven maps. Just go through the RPG section. Mass multiplayer RPG rarely ever have deep storylines. With lots of players, there's always the little guy thats going to ghet bored and skip past all the cinimatics and such. Thats why single-player is the only way to go.
-VGsatomi

Level 6
There's the Dwarf Campaign from my team. See my signature for the link to our forum. You find links to the campaign maps in an announcement in the forum.

The point why there aren't very many story based RPGs is that stories are rather difficult to create for games. It must be a story AND a game. Coming up with an excellent story that also makes an excellent game requires a lot of effort and a lot of skill. Most people work on their own (= not enough workforce) and do not have expertise in writing a game story. That's why there are so few RPGs with stories.

Most campaigns are story-based RPGs, but due to the tremendous effort needed to make several bugless campaign maps, their stories are usually rather linear and not very novel. There are some exceptions though, but they usually lack in the gameplay area and you may need to use cheats that you wouldn't die to tedium. ;)

Level 4
Man, I can appreciate what Tommi said about the workforce. I'm working on a huge single-player rpg (with a good story, if I say so myself (oh, and good gameplay too)), but working on it alone is hell. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.