• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Stolen Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Sorry for posting this again, but I can't reply to my other thread.

I made a harry potter map. (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/maps/4420/). However, today on battle net I saw someone hosting a changed vertion that stated a different author! He diddn't even mention me! If the sight dosn't alow protected maps, how come most maps in this sight are protected?

Is there any way I can contact the guy who took my map?

Level 32
  1. All of The Hive Workshop's resources are available for download by the general public free of conditions. If some unscrupulous person steals your map and hosts it on B-net we can't do anything about it ourselves. THW has no control over policy at that domain. Your only recourse may be to try to locate the pirate in a b-net chat channel or in a game that he's hosting.

2. Map protection is not prohibited, rather it just strongly discouraged.

3. Plenty of tools exist to perform that task. Try our [self="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/search.php"]SuperSecretSearchSystem[/self]

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Optimized maps are near unchangable, and encouraged since they are smaller, faster to load and can even lag less ingame.

Well anyway, as long as you host your version more than the ripper then you will gain loyalty to you and so people will play the fake less. Also try devloping it faster than him, since then his map will look old and noobs will flock to your version again.

Simple tricks I tried with parasite EX and they seemed to work for my more ballenced version, too bad I rigged it so I was alien all the time but meh I soon got bored of that and the map stopped being hosted.

Level 8
1) how can anyone stop you from port forwarding ?
2) make a site to support and spread your map
3) update your map and release new versions that are 10 times better than the fake
4) advertise your site in your maps
5) protect your maps and then protect them again (using a different method than your first), then for the fun of it protect your map again

Last edited:
Level 12
1) It is his dad's property and if his dad does not the ports messed with than he has no choic to obey.
2) I agree with this. Then whenver a hacked vesion comes out, just release a newer version. So if there is a new hacked one, Harry Potter 1.27, then release a Harry Potter 1.28, like DSG said.
3) Kinda what I said above
4)Always a good idea.
5)Lol that would be funny. Although some protection methods require opening the map, you could do that first, then use heavylock, then... I dont know what else after that. Lol people would just be like wtf.

Level 32
[off-topic]

As I said once before:
The Site discussion forum is specifically reserved for:
Discuss the content and files of the Hive. Comment on the style and possibilities, suggest improvements, report bugs etc.
This discussion no longer relates to The Hive Workshop, but rather to a variety of other subjects.

~ Thread moved to Warcraft III forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.