• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft units help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Okay, so I'm trying to recreate certain Starcraft effects, like Protoss shields and the Firebat's splash damage.

The problem with the Firebat is that I can do a Shockwave spell for 0 mana and low cooldown and throw in a Black Dragon/Archmage/etc... fireball, but it'll be a one-time attack and that would mean that I'll have to tell the Firebat to keep firing at a target. Needless to say, this is a huge fricking waste of time, since whoever plays Terran will have to keep an eye on his Firebats.

Then there's the Zerg Lurker. Sure, I can set it to attack only when submerged, but the closest thing there is to the original SC Lurker attack is Impale. And that would mean I'm once again stuck with the fact that the Lurker will have to continuously be micro-managed.

Finally, Protoss shields. The best I could do is Mana Shields, but as you can imagine, this will seriously impair the unit should it also cast spells - A Carrier might do fine, since it has no spells to speak of, but a Templar will find himself eating dirt pretty quickly since all he does is cast spells.

I've also read throughout the site of possible Protoss shields graphics. How is this done?

Anyone able to help me with these problems?

Level 2
For the fire bat and lurker you should be able to use a simple trigger,

events a unit is attacked
conditions attacking unit is equal to unit type firebat
actions order attacking unit to cast Fireball

for protoss sheild srry cant help you.

Level 2
Just a thought but isnt the main purpose of mana just to limit how often a spell can be cast? with that in mind maybe for spellcast units just make the spells have longer than average spell cooldowns.

or you could use a variable to keep track of mana, if you are making a game like starcraft you will need to use a lot of variables anyway for things like vespene gas and minerals etc.

have you tried what i suggested for the firebat or lurker?

Status
Not open for further replies.