• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft Lets play!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey not to sound rude or nothing, but I think if you want to get good at the game you should read some of the opening builds on http://www.teamliquid.net/ and try and understand the concepts that they talk about in the forums there. Scouting is really important and you should try to get good at reading your scouts. Also you're going to want to work on your understanding of opportunity cost, a unit costs much more than just the minerals, gas, supply, and time. Units as well as tech or economic development causes your to for go other opportunities. And try and make sure you don't miss your chrono boost timing. And a bunch of other stuff that I won't go into right now haha.

Just looking to help improve your gameplay. I'm a Masters 2s player and Masters 1s player on the North America Server, and was Grandmaster 1s a few seasons back.

Keep practicing :p

Level 3
^ You happen to play HotS beta/HotS? I could use more of the skilled people to practice, I was diam in 1v1 but lately my skill has dropped or remained the same while others' got it up, I've got to get back to regular playing and shape which I will do soon. Also WoL patches le Zerg gave me no motivation to continue laddering WoL, even though I dropped a league, at least HotS is throwing a dice lol.

Level 4
I won't be getting HotS anytime soon. I was really disappointed with blizzard and SC2 gameplay. Starcraft 1 is more fun to play honestly, and 90% of the players I faced when I was Grand Master had auto larva inject, auto blink, auto burrow, auto drop micro, maphack, stat hack and such which made the game pointless, and you can tell they are using scripts to execute these actions because their actions per minute is over 2000 which isn't humanly possible. So I'm going to wait until the custom map systems and the balancing and anti-hacking is all established before I buy the game, and if it never gets fixed I would advise people not to waste their money.

Level 3
As a former war3 player, what I do not like with SC2 is that as you mentioned, the game is WAYY NOOB friendly... but since it is all about $$ which comes from the majority that are casuals... you know.

So many automated things, if in SCBW you had to select worker 1 by 1 and the controls were just lacking. Here, HotS brings you automated SCV gather on start and a whole lots of automated controls... like micro seriously cut?? which is why IMO, war3's controls were the best - not too much, not too little. I have a former GM friend that went back to war3 for similar reason.

Away from the easier controls (now grab 100+ lings in ctrl 1) which I personally didn't care, the real issue is that skill is too unstable towards other players. In war3 when you are skilled, when you have stopped Tower rushes, multi expands... you generally are always winner, the better player almost always wins WHILE in SC2, cheese - ok you didn't expect it after 50 games no one did it to you - lose,

war3 in Hu vs Hu, I've stopped 5-6 gryphons with ground after learning about them late, and in no time 2x workshops with multi build workers, gyro and i win the game with also better micro, in SC2 if you don't scout early enough, you LOSE... War3 melee was more fun for sure. Also SC2 people learn too fast, you can easily be left behind in skill if you don't play regularly... again SC2 not that stable in skill. I've seen pro players losing to other NEW STARS only because the new stars (such as Life (Zerg)) became very active towards such that played a little less in their practice for tournaments.

But we have to move on, War3 old, SCBW more.. HotS has amazing graphics, cinematics, if you do futuristic maps and stuff like I do, HotS is the best. You know what, this gave me incentive to do also editor stuff a lot more, sometimes even more than playing although I should catch up with some guys in melee skill even though on the less fun melee.

Last edited:
Level 4
Gameplay for me just got boring. For instance in 1v1 you always fast expand, and if a player does not fast expand he is going for some sort of all-in cheese that is generally not too hard to figure out and defend against. From the 2 base early game the amount of options are limited because like you said the controls are good enough that skill is taken out a bit and the systems are so automated that there is a best way to go about everything. And in order to win at that level you need to memorize the exact best way to do whatever tech which comes down to like 6 builds and then usually you know who wins after the first conflict in the match. SCBW's game play is where its at :p

Status
Not open for further replies.