• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft 2 and AvP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
hay anyone ever noticed how similar the starcraft series is to Avp. the protoss look like the predators:eek:. the zerg seem to be the aliens:razz:. and well, humans are humans:hohum:.

Level 26
Terran=Marines=Humans
Protoss=Covenant=Predators
Zerg=Flood=Aliens

The general idea is that Humans have to be there because, hey, WE'RE humans. Then there has to be at least 1 technologically advanced alien race and 1 primitive yet nonetheless deadly alien race. Some people combine the two alien races, some people take only one of the two, but every sci-fi race essentially uses this line of thought. This is probably the most basic structure.

Level 2
That blizzard have been inspired by others ideas is nothing new. Warcraft is actualy nothing but a rip off from old warhammer and starcraft is actualy alot like avp and so on but your casual fanboy will tell you otherwise no matter what you show him even if its true there brains will some how ignore it cause thats how they work.

Level 2
Blizzard can´t deny that they were influenced by other creators.
The Orcs in WC weren´t a creation of Blizzard.
Neither the devils and the Angels in Diablo.
But hey, they were the first who made a games with them and they wrote an complete story, and thats the point.

Level 27
The editor has a lot of model... There is even a diablo model so I guess this will not be any problem.

Awesome. can't wait to search for fun stuff in it by myself! Intresting, did Bllizard made them just for lulz and left it just so we could use in it our maps?

Terran=Marines=Humans
Protoss=Covenant=Predators
Zerg=Flood=Aliens

The general idea is that Humans have to be there because, hey, WE'RE humans. Then there has to be at least 1 technologically advanced alien race and 1 primitive yet nonetheless deadly alien race. Some people combine the two alien races, some people take only one of the two, but every sci-fi race essentially uses this line of thought. This is probably the most basic structure.

Aren't flood kinda like zombies?
Well yes, that's an old good clyche they allways use. In lots of games and movies.

Level 5
Warcraft basic concepts come from Warhammer Fantasy, wich comes from the D&D mythology, wich is based on the novels by JRR Tolkien, who was inspired by classic myths from various cultures...
Starcraft also uses classic concepts seen in lots of sci-fi works, and through it is similar to AvP in the "technological level order", SC races have nearly nothing in common with their AvP counterparts. In any case they have more in common with WH: 40k races, but once again, WH40k is based on both WH: Fantasy Battle and classic sci-fi works...
Also, through the Alien's design is quite original, the premise of the original film is classic, and the same happens with the Predator films.
The AvP films are pure crap. Some of the games and comics are cool, through.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Apparently none of you are playing the Starcraft II campaign. If you were you would notice that most of it is a rip off of games and movies. They do everything from having a zombie survival knocking Night of the Dead to robbing armored trains with rockets on them.

Level 5
Most concepts in any game are ripoffs of other games, films or books' concepts. The important thing is what you do with these concepts. SC was pretty original for that times' games. Hell, it even had a full story with plot twists!
WC3 on the other hand... c'mon, Arthas' and Sylvannas' stories are ripoffs of Kerrigans' :/ 5 bad points for Blizzard for that, quite disappointing.

Level 27
Apparently none of you are playing the Starcraft II campaign. If you were you would notice that most of it is a rip off of games and movies. They do everything from having a zombie survival knocking Night of the Dead to robbing armored trains with rockets on them.

And why is that bad? Sounds awesome! I mean missle trains'n'zombies, who wouldn't like that?

Level 14
So yeah, the game franchise is inspired a lot from the Alien and Predator franchises, maybe even from Ender's Game.

But even so, even knowing this, I still like the game. They did a good job "ripping-off" as people say, and the story. . .for me is all about the characters. Personally it's not the "Kerrigan is sending the cool looking hydralisk to pew pew the UED.", for me it's "Keriggan, the former terran ghost who belived in her superior Acturus, and was later betrayed is now the Queen of Blades and using the hydralisk to solidify her possesion as leader of the Zerg by pew pewing the UED. She also uses the protoss by missleading them however she shows a great extent of mercy when it comes to Jim Raynor."

I think a lot of people play the campaings for that, and to consume more Sci-Fi.
As I remember. . .even AvP was not that original since the first book ever to aproach at least this Allien - Human / Terran - Zerg "relationship" was called "Enders game".

There is another series less known, which has this "trio" besides SC and AvP. Can't remember the name now. . .but they made a movie about it. . .and some 3d rendered tv episodes. It also was a game.

Level 11
I did not say what they produced is bad, just it is very clear that the Sc2 campaign is meant to seem as if you have done everything before. Even some of the characters say "This reminds me of a game I played".
The missions are varied and interesting. Don't really see a problem if some of them reference other things - ie, the zombie mission is different because most zombie things in general take place from the viewpoint of individuals rather than an armed military force. But meh.

Also, as for the alien v predator relationship, its just that there generally tend to be two archetypes of aliens - the highly advanced aliens, with technology beyond that of what we understand, who are few but powerful, and then the biological aliens, who fight with sheer numbers. Generalizing the races of SC like that, however, is rather silly as both protoss and zerg are rather unique in their own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.