• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Sprite sheets : possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be possible by importing all the different sprites as blp's and then adding them as images (or using a destructable + war club or something weird like that). But I don't think anyone has done it apart from the Chinese.

In my opinion..... DO IT! It'd be really fun. I'd love to see how cool it would look! It would be awesome for any 2D map maker.

Level 17
Wc3 uses sprite sheets actually. For things like fog/fire/cloud particles.
Pretty sure it works by just animating the uvw to skip to the next portion of the texture on every frame.
In theory you could just animate a billboarded plane like that manually, IIRC Neodex exports uvw translations.
I was playing with an idea of making a 2-and-a-half-D-looking map like Don't starve before, but gave up considering I can't draw crap. (so went with cel-shaded look)

Though if you wanna do that through editor then yeah, no idea. Good luck with it either way !

Level 19
Im now writing a script, though without quads(impossibru!)
There are two structs I made, SpriteSheet struct for the collection of sprite images and the Sprite struct to create and animate SpriteSheet.

Meh, I need to go into Sennin mode to retrieve my vJass skills(forgot them temporarily) XD

why do a sprite system in wc3 when you have so many other better options? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.