• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sprint/Fly Mechanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hi,

I haven't started this yet but I just thought I'd ask to see what people thought...

I'm thinking of making a new map that has a sprint function in it, where mana is replaced as "stamina" instead. Then as all the units would be creatures they would use stamina to use their abilities (which would all be physical based).

However I'd like them to be able to "sprint", so that could either be a Berserk ability to buff speed for a short time. Or my more preferred idea that you would have an ability like immolation that gave you movement speed at the cost of mana per second. But I'm not sure how I would trigger that? Any suggestions?

I'm also thinking that I could use this same mechanic for things that fly, so they have to land when they run out of stamina (mana)

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
You can detect immolation by its order. When a unit starts immolation, you add a movement speed bonus (boots of speed or aura). When immolation is deactivated, you remove the ability.

Flying: Maybe you can use crow form.

Level 3
Well one idea is to make it drain with distance rather than time, as some people will be standing still at times while "sprinting" and the mana drain still won't stop: immolation would be a bad idea for that I think. I assume you would already want to have mana depletion as they normally walk, I'd just double or triple the amount of mana drain they'd take to sprint maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.