• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Spells through triggers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I wanted to know that, many people programme their spells through triggers, like a unit starts the effect of an ability and then in actions, they programme it what to do.But there is an object editor where you can edit your spells and can programme it to deal a specific damage to specific units. We can edit it anyhow we like in the object editor, then why do people programme it with triggers ?

Level 20
See here, the trigger editor controls many of the aspects of the game. The trigger editor allows you to add different things like gold, lumber, resources, create units at specific points, and many things. The Object Editor is very limited, and that's one of the reason people use triggers instead.

You can also deal multiple damages consecutively, configuring the damage and attack type created, which most of the times the Object Editor can't.

I can go on and on about why the Trigger Editor is more free that the Object Editor, but I'm not going to be able to fit that into one post.

Also, the Object Editor cannot assign damage to 'specific units' but to units in general, like heroes or machines, not specifically like pre-placed units.

Let's see you or anyone here create the spells in the Spells section using only the Object Editor. That's impossible. That's just impossible to do.

Level 30
Explaining more XD. This is just a little explanation but do listen, one thing I can say that in Object Editor, your way of editing spells are quite limited but in triggers, you can also say it is unlimted. Anything you can imagine on what you want to do with the skill and what to add, you can do it. With just triggering knowledge you're done!

For example, a normal shockwave, if you do not like it to not deal damage only, you can make a trigger that when you cast it you can add a little Knockback effect that makes it somehow little unique.:wink:

And remember, for me, you cant make a really great game without using a trigger! ;D

Level 20
nope i am forbidden to reveal that info.

But it is already written in your name :ogre_icwydt:
We're going off topic again.
topicswitch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.