• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spells I would like made, or Spell ideas you can try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello eager spell designers! These are some spell ideas I have come up with and which I would try to make myself but I just don't have the time these days. They would all be hero spells. Some of them are pretty simple but I would like to have as much work done for me as you guys are willing to offer. What interests me actually is designing new heroes, I just need to give them innovative abilities...

"Sustain" (Aura)

Increases the lifespan of summoned units. Example: every five seconds add X seconds back on expiration timer of summoned units, where X equals level of spell.

"Zergling Swarm" (Summoning)

Spawns 3 or so zerglings. When zerglings make a killing blow a further zergling is spawned from the corpse a la "Black Arrow". There would probably need to be some limit on this ability so that zerglings don't take over the whole game.

"Spell Armor" (Buff?)

Temporary mass buff, like Roar, that gives friendly units spell imunity. Duration increases with spell level.

"Seize" (Unit Targeted)

Blinks a targeted enemy unit to the location of the casting hero. Limited range which might increase with spell level. Nasty spell to use on a damaged hero trying to run away.

"Muster" (Unit or Area targeted)

Teleports unit(s) owned by player from anywhere on the map to the location of the hero a la Starcraft arbiter "Recall". Cooldown could decrease with level, or AoE or units-at-a-time could increase.

"Synergy" (Hero Targeted)

Upon targeting another player-owned hero, both heroes are "melded" together, creating a super-hero :wink: with combined HP, Mana, Strength, Agility, and Intelligence (further multiplied or added to by some number). After a duration, or at the players discretion the super-hero splits back to the original two heroes. The super-hero should actually be a morphed version of the original hero who has this ability, so he will still have the same items and other abilities. The other used hero would essentially be hidden. Spell immunity might also be a good thing for the super-hero. This should probably be an Ultimate ability.

"Avenging Bomb" (Ultimate)

When the hero dies they release a LARGE explosion that does decreasing damage with distance from epicenter. I have already experimented with this using suped-up landmine explosions.

And some very simple ones I would like to see on a "tank" hero.

Attack Range Upgrade.

Splash Damage Upgrade, with increasing radius per level.

Gargoyle style stone form, but applied to a hero.

Level 7
which abilities do u want to make? I'm asking because, if someone was interested in creating them, he wouldn't have wasted time if u make them.

to "Avenging Bomb" (Ultimate): use the goblin mine ability explode on death

Level 5
Some nice ideas :D

Muster already exist though, it is called... Dark summoning I believe and has nice animations too. It is already in the editor.

And it just shot through my mind that the zergling spell is already made.. by Darky28 (at that time still Darky27 :wink: ). Play his Spiderqueen campaign. the spider queen spawns an eggsack everytime she makes a killing blow.. U could use that idea I guess.

Level 3
Wow, thanks whitenights! If I could make spells that fast I would do them with the time I do have! Much appreciated. One correction though, Spell Armor is supposed to provide spell imunity, not invulnerablilty. It is supposed to be used for example as a protective strategy for summoned units against detonate and disenchant. I tried to change it myself but the way you have it set up it dispells itself! Its a cool ability the way you have it, just not what I intended.

I'm not planning on making any of the rest of those spells any time soon. So you guys can claim them. I have some more spell ideas and considerations for the ones I've mentioned, I will post them later...when I have time!

Level 3
oops :p my bad... I'll make a new ability for you when I make my next version of the spell. Which should be today. It really shouldn't be that hard... add spell immunity to a unit and in x seconds take it away... I'll make an inner fire effect for it as well.

Level 3
Erm.... 2 things....
Read my post in your Zergling Swarm
and where on earth is the Muster spell in the Ragnarok map? I just redownloaded it and I couldn't find it - I'm sure its there, but where?
And um.... whats wrong w/ my Sieze? I thought it looked good :p

Level 9
1) Read & responded to.
2) Perhaps I should rephrase: There's something like his muster spell in my Ragnarok Map. When you target the Ragnarok spell, all the units are teleported to the target. Its kinda like his idea.
3) Oh no, your Seize is fine; I just had a really great idea for a variation on the spell.

~The_Raven

Level 3
Notice how :p is supposed to mean im jk :p

Ah-HA! I get it now. but I thought it was supposed to teleport units to the hero. good work on that ragnarok spell btw.

Lomacar: I don't believe there is any way to add time on the back of an experation timer... Would you settle for pausing it?

Level 9
I prefer not to use smilies. I don't believe that all human emotions can be expressed in 20 little animations.

As I said, its like his Muster idea.

Thanks.

P.S. Sustain Aura could be done. However, it would be a little choppy. I'll work on it.

~The_Raven

Level 3
Raven:
You're right, all human emotions cannot be expressed in 20 little animations, but I use smilies because they stand for simple emotions and I believe it gives a more human interaction if you can see somewhat of a face and use your head to figure out what the person is trying to say. I don't walk up to someone and say "I'm mad", but maybe it shows on my face. Thats part of being human. Thats all I'm going to say about smilies.

Yes, like I said, sustain can be done, but by pausing instead of adding. I'll let you take sustain cause im going on vacation (I guess you could say double vacation?)

Level 3
You are right, looks like the expiration timer can only be paused, but that is fine, maybe even better. :idea: You could just pause the timer for X seconds every 3 seconds, where X equals the level of the spell, that way the level 3 spell would double the life of a sumoned unit. I can balance these things later of course. One consideration for this is that I don't think the aura should effect Ultimate summonables, we don't want an Infernal or Doom Guard sticking around for twice as long as it should! I was thinking you could specify that the spell doesn't effect units above a certain level, which seems to be somewhere around 5, but that is tricky because many of the non-ultimates summonables reach level six when fully researched, then there is the Sea Witch's Tornado which is only level 4...

Level 3
Well I already told Raven that I wasn't gonna do sustain, so I'm not gonna do it. I might rerelease my map with the Spell Armor (2) that gives spell immunity if you still want it. Also, like I said before, I'm going on vacation on Monday through the following Monday. I will do more spells after that though.

Level 9
Sustain will be tougher than I thought. I had intended to use the "Remove Expiration Timer" function in the WE Unlimited, but there is no way to detect the amount of time left on an exppiration timer. So, short of programming in the duration of all summoned units, which would be too much work and wouldn't account for custom units, I can't do it the way I intended until I figure out a way around it.

Lomacar: If you still need a Sustain Aura, tell me and I will make it using the Pause/Unpause system.

~The_Raven

Level 3
Hmmmm.. I don't really understand why you would remove any experation timers when it is so easy to type:

Pick every unit in 500 of Casting Unit (
Pause Picked Unit's experaition timer
Add to paused_uns
)
wait 1/2/3 seconds
Pick every unit in paused uns and unpause picked unit's experation timer
end of spell

Level 9
Because, my idea would make it look like the expiration timer was reversing itself. The bar would loose a little blue, and then gain some of it back. However, I know of no way it can be done, so I'm filing it under "Yet another spell that can't be done thanks to the current limitations of the World Editor but could probably be done with JASS if I bothered to learn it."

~The_Raven

Level 3
It's OK Raven! I don't even want the expiration timer to hop back and forth. The important thing is that it makes summoned units under the hero's aura live longer. It is better to have it just pause periodically. :)

Here is some other stuff I have been thinking related to these particular spells:

Zergling swarm - whitenights, I notice that the zerglings that die from other zerglings are labelled "Dark Minions". how do we fix that?

Spell Armor - it occured to me a while back that what I wanted was mass Anti-Magic Shell. Duh. :oops:

Seize - I was thinking that it would be good if there was a more visible effect to it, like a beam shooting out to the targeted unit. And the spell should take just a second or two before it does its thing so that the victim player might have a bit of time to react. Also when I was testing it out it seemed like Seizing a unit sometimes killed it instantly :? Maybe I was seeing things, but that wouldn't be good.

Attack Range/Splash Damage Upgrade - my friend convinced me that these should be combined into one upgrade so that I could include more spells on the hero.

Hero Stone Form - What kind of visual effect is possible for this? Perhaps the same hero model but a custom stone skin? It doesn't necessarily have to be stone form per se. Just something showing that the hero is "bunkering down", but not burrowing.

Level 3
Lomacar -
No u weren't seeing things.. u teleported a footman into the "base' area, and any footmen that enter that area are killed.

Use Raven's zergling swarm... its better

Maybe for hero stone form, just as a temporary effect, make it look liek he died, or maybe stand animation but he is colored black? that would be ez to do.

i dont really know how to do attack damage bonus or splash damage upgrade... :S And for Sieze, would you like something like the target can go out of range? so like if he leaves the casting range + 150 then the spell fails? I could also make an exclemation mark on his head or something to show who is targeted. I will use the drain mana effect to shoot a beam.

And I'm out for a week (really now). I will make these changes when I get back.

Level 3
OK, good to know about those units getting killed.

Alright I'll have a look at Raven's zergling swarm...

Ya I was thinking some effect like that for the hero "stone form" ability. Black with maybe some other funky effect surrounding him.

That would be good for the about-to-be seized unit to be able to get out of range, but it would only be a fluke most of the time. The way it should go down is that some special effect shows that this unit is about to be seized, but this only lasts for like 2 seconds and then he is seized. That would just make it clear in the middle of a crazy battle what is going on. The aerial shackles effect would actually look good I think.

BLX

BLX

Level 2
Regarding the spell "Seize". Wouldn't it be cool that when you cast that spell, an aerial shackle ensnare the unit that is being targeted and maybe use blink to drag it close to you and then some spell effects apply to it that either damage the target or maybe stun it or anything that's cool to add. I don't know if it's possible, but it would be cool to see that.

Level 3
That is very cool! However something should be figured out about what to do when there are obstructions between the caster and the victim. Currently if there is stuff in the way the victim will get stuck and start wiggling all around like crazy. The way I envisioned Seize nothing should get in the way, so for the puproses of spell funtionality I might prefer just blinking the victim over, but the dragging effect is so nifty...

Level 3
Ya I dunno. This dragging concept, while cool, seems problematic. It seems weird having a guy go thru water or trees or masses of units. I was thinking maybe you could have the unit blink around any obstructions they come across while being dragged, but that sounds a lot easier said than done.

Status
Not open for further replies.