• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Spellbook Selection Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a group selection of caster A with spell book as one runs out of mana it does not cycle through the others as normal spells do.

The result is that the spell book remains open on the unit without enough mana while the spell icon remains enabled because other units in the selection do have enough mana, but you can't cast.

Any ideas on a solution?

I experimented with triggered changes to player selection but there is no trigger to cycle through to another caster A in the selection group.

1)Select all four units
2)Cast Blizzard
3)The spell book will reset
4)Without manually selecting another unit or changing the unit selection attempt to cast Blizzard again
5)"Not Enough Mana" despite the other 3 units having enough mana

With spells not in spell books it will cycle though the other units that have enough mana without you having to reselect.

Attachments

• Spell Book Test.w3x
    16.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Level 4
Why bump when you don't explain things properly...

"If you have a group selection of caster A"
How the heck can a unit have a group selection? Maybe "Player A"? (Unless you mean that you have a group of the same units)

Also please use commas or make shorter sentences... I really can't get much of what you mean... Just give it a try and make it simpler to comprehend.

I might help if you post the trigger or the part that you think it's not working properly...

1. After thousand, millions and billions of re-re-re-read of the post:
You have a group of units selected. Some of the units (if not all) have spell books. You want that, after the unit of which you can see the spell, it will switch to the next unit and open their spell book so you can cast directly their spells? (And so on)

2. After infinite readings: You're saying that, after a unit runs out of mana, the spells are not becoming blue, because the player has in his selection one (or more) of the same unit (with mana to cast some spells) and this is causing to see the spell able to cast, but (I guess) shows the message "You don't have enough mana"?

You can always use -Tab- to switch to the next unit in the selection when you run out of mana... I think you can trigger this, but the problems is with the mana. If them ana varies with the spell's level than it might be tricky to get it properly working.

Edit: You can use
  • Game - Force Player 1 (Red) to press Escape/Cancel
to exit the spell book.
Or you can show along the game tips: "Press Tab button to switch between units from a group selected". And then you can set a trigger to: whenever a unit is selected, open the spell book, so you won't be needing to open the spell book first and the cast the spell.

Level 4
Ok... You got me... Don't know what to do... I know that you want it not to deselect the unit so... Maybe someone with JASS knowledge has the answer for you... I don't know that much in JASS to help you, sorry. GUI just doesn't support this, I guess...

Level 21
Right but the issue is there seems to be some game play mechanic that stops units with spell book from cycling to units with enough mana. I think I'm just missing how your system applies here. I'm not looking to create a commander/subordinate relationship in the unit group.

Well, your problem comes from the fact that warcraft doesn't allow multiple units to cast the same ability together.
You could shift-click to fix this, but the problem will never truly be solved that way.
Basically what my system does is that it has 2 types of units:
Commanders
and minions

When a commander is given a command, then the same command is given to all minions. It is possible to develop this system further to make it so that you don't need to control your units directly at all(if latency allows).
In any case, it can be used for group casts, whether the abilities are in spellbooks or not.

Level 21
I don't see a solution there. I am looking to mimic the same process that is present with normal spells in a group selection. I don't see the commander/minion system working correctly in this case, although it is an impressive system.

I may rethink the ability.

You want to make units cast abilities one by one despite the spellbook bug?
Are the abilities cast properly when you order them to be cast through a trigger? (I've never tried this)
If yes, then you could have a group control system much like by own, but without every unit casting at the same time.
If no, then a different way must be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.