• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SPELL (Trail of Fire)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Spell request (solved)

Hi guys, i need 1 spell for my map (+rep who help):

Name: Trail of Fire
Code: GUI
Spell Type: No Target

Description: When activated, unit leaving a trail of fire behind self for ? seconds. Any ENEMY unit that step on fire (trail) will take damage over second.

Extra:

- if unit runs while casting spell,unit will NOT stop.
- some effect on caster while casting spell.
- some burning effect on enemy unit which walks on fire trail.
- spell only damage enemy units.

Editable stuff:

- mana cost
- damage
- duration
- AOE of trail

Last edited:
Level 7
i am bad in making spells, also i need lot of them to finish my map and i dont have much time :vw_sad:

if you need alot why do you only request 1 at a time.. also this will help you alot http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...als-279/basics-trigger-enhancing-spells-7334/ it helped me learn to make gui spells its not hard also maybe take some time to look in spells section sometimes people dont post all the spells they added into packs this spellpack has the spell ur looking for just import http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...k-v1-1-a-146544/?prev=search=fire&d=list&r=20

Level 10
if you need alot why do you only request 1 at a time.. also this will help you alot http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...als-279/basics-trigger-enhancing-spells-7334/ it helped me learn to make gui spells its not hard also maybe take some time to look in spells section sometimes people dont post all the spells they added into packs this spellpack has the spell ur looking for just import http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...k-v1-1-a-146544/?prev=search=fire&d=list&r=20

I request only 1 at time becouse i dont have ideas for more....when i imagine spell, i write request....

Spell from this spell pack looks fine...i think that i will use it.....+ rep for you

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
This is a great spell, but why trigger it when you don't need to? It's quite possible to make this ability with 0% 1% 0% triggers.

//EDIT - Well, OK, maybe like one tiny little trigger. But just a quick "smart" order for the dummy unit.

//EDIT - Then again, I suppose using Locust Swarm, you could sorta get this to work... If it flies too far the effect might be ruined... But lowered fly AoE...?... Plausible.

Level 21
This is a great spell, but why trigger it when you don't need to? It's quite possible to make this ability with 0% 1% 0% triggers.

//EDIT - Well, OK, maybe like one tiny little trigger. But just a quick "smart" order for the dummy unit.

//EDIT - Then again, I suppose using Locust Swarm, you could sorta get this to work... If it flies too far the effect might be ruined... But lowered fly AoE...?... Plausible.

I can imagine a way of doing it with 1 extremely simple trigger.
First being that when someone casts a certain ability, then add firetrail ability to the unit.
Then wait some time and take it off again.

Firetrail ability would be based on "Factory" and create a unit that has Locust and permanent immolation. The model for dummy would be any model of a fire. Also, the dummy should probably have unit type - flying to prevent it from being placed wrong.

How would you do that without triggering?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I can imagine a way of doing it with 1 extremely simple trigger.
First being that when someone casts a certain ability, then add firetrail ability to the unit.
Then wait some time and take it off again.

Firetrail ability would be based on "Factory" and create a unit that has Locust and permanent immolation. The model for dummy would be any model of a fire. Also, the dummy should probably have unit type - flying to prevent it from being placed wrong.

How would you do that without triggering?
I'm really glad you mentioned Factory; I sometimes wonder if anybody knows about that. :p Yeah, Factory is a key part of that, so you're on the right track. However, the main issue with yours is the Wait; Waits are evil and should never be used (at least, not in GUI without inserted JASS code, which with my method wouldn't involve that in the least); that and keeping track of the casting unit.

(fortunately, Factory is a 'hidden' ability, so you don't have to worry about using Spellbook or whatever to hide it on the command card).

No, the way I'm thinking wouldn't take a single trigger (if Locust Swarm can be modded appropriately), and only one (leakless, 1-Action) trigger (if it doesn't). The Immolation is right, the flying is right, etc. Thoughts? : )

Level 21
I'm really glad you mentioned Factory; I sometimes wonder if anybody knows about that. :p Yeah, Factory is a key part of that, so you're on the right track. However, the main issue with yours is the Wait; Waits are evil and should never be used (at least, not in GUI without inserted JASS code, which with my method wouldn't involve that in the least); that and keeping track of the casting unit.

(fortunately, Factory is a 'hidden' ability, so you don't have to worry about using Spellbook or whatever to hide it on the command card).

No, the way I'm thinking wouldn't take a single trigger (if Locust Swarm can be modded appropriately), and only one (leakless, 1-Action) trigger (if it doesn't). The Immolation is right, the flying is right, etc. Thoughts? : )

Factory is visible btw.

Actually now that you mention it. You don't need triggers.
Make locust swarm create units that don't have locust and have 0 movement speed. Or with 0 speed it doesn't even matter if they have locust.

Also, even in GUI I would use locals when I use waits, but I guess most GUIers have no idea how.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Factory is visible btw.

Actually now that you mention it. You don't need triggers.
Make locust swarm create units that don't have locust and have 0 movement speed. Or with 0 speed it doesn't even matter if they have locust.

Also, even in GUI I would use locals when I use waits, but I guess most GUIers have no idea how.
- Are you sure? I admit it's been a while, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't appear.

- Units summoned by Locust Swarm have to have Locust, actually/unfortunately/IIRC. Annoying, but it's useful/not-a-problem for this spell.
0 speed, or perhaps just a small AoE (little room for them to fly around, so they in essence follow the caster)

- Oh, I'm familiar with locals and such. That's what I meant by "inserted JASS code" (the 'custom script' thing, IIRC). I just don't like to have to use them when I don't have to. : )

Level 21
- Are you sure? I admit it's been a while, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't appear.

- Units summoned by Locust Swarm have to have Locust, actually/unfortunately/IIRC. Annoying, but it's useful/not-a-problem for this spell.
0 speed, or perhaps just a small AoE (little room for them to fly around, so they in essence follow the caster)

- Oh, I'm familiar with locals and such. That's what I meant by "inserted JASS code" (the 'custom script' thing, IIRC). I just don't like to have to use them when I don't have to. : )

I've tried to create a carrier game once. In there I found out that if you don't put locust, then they simply won't ever return. But you can make them have negative health reg.

Level 7
Hi guys, i need 1 spell for my map (+rep who help):

Name: Trail of Fire
Code: GUI
Spell Type: No Target

Description: When activated, unit leaving a trail of fire behind self for ? seconds. Any ENEMY unit that step on fire (trail) will take damage over second.

Extra:

- if unit runs while casting spell,unit will NOT stop.
- some effect on caster while casting spell.
- some burning effect on enemy unit which walks on fire trail.
- spell only damage enemy units.

Editable stuff:

- mana cost
- damage
- duration
- AOE of trail

Has anyone made this spell for you yet? If not I can make it for you in a few minutes and post it.

Level 21
Has anyone made this spell for you yet? If not I can make it for you in a few minutes and post it.

It can be made without triggers, as the conclusion was like this:

Make a carrion swarm ability
The dummies must use a flame model and have a permanent immolation.
Dummy speed is 0 or they lack the locust ability.
Dummies don't have attacks.
The max health of a dummy is equal to the amount of seconds that a fire must stay on the ground.
Life regeneration of the dummy is -1(hold down shift when opening box).
Death type is Can not raise, does not decay.

I think this was all.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
It can be made without triggers, as the conclusion was like this:

Make a carrion swarm ability
The dummies must use a flame model and have a permanent immolation.
Dummy speed is 0 or they lack the locust ability.
Dummies don't have attacks.
The max health of a dummy is equal to the amount of seconds that a fire must stay on the ground.
Life regeneration of the dummy is -1(hold down shift when opening box).
Death type is Can not raise, does not decay.

I think this was all.
Almost. Except it was "Locust Swarm", not "Carrion Swarm". The dummies are dummies except for being able to move (no attack, model, corpse, etc).

Most importantly, you forgot that the dummy should have the passive ability "Factory" (or rather, a modded version thereof), which continually spawns the "fire dummy" (model of a fire, has a Permanent Immolation, etc); use the life of the "fire dummy" (HP and negative HP Regeneration) to determine how long the fire stays on the ground & get rid of the "fire dummy".

The "spawner dummy" (only 1 needed) made by the modded Locust Swarm will die when the ability quits (use ability cooldown).

Status
Not open for further replies.