• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell Rules - Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
SpellRules.png

General Spell Submission Rules
  • Spells may not violate any general or specific site rules.
  • Post only your own work. Do not submit a spell that you've found on some other site.
  • Spell maps should be named using a title that describes the spell itself.
  • Spell authors must properly label their maps upon submission.
  • Both GUI and JASS spells are allowed, but they have specific rules.
  • Maps must include an implementation readme (what objects and pieces of code are required). If the map is a pack (it contains more than one spell), specify in the readme all the objects/codes required for each spell (do so even if they repeat).
  • If your spell requires WEU, Grimoire or any other third-party world editors, specifically mention what you've used. Regular editor does not require mention of course.
  • Plain object editor spells are not accepted. You will need to do some extraordinary object editor modifications to impress us.
  • Do not remake spells already existent on the site. In certain cases, originality may be decisive for approval.
  • Ingame screenshot. Other shots are allowed, but one ingame screenshot/spell is a must!
  • Utility of the spell is an important criterion. Posting a silly and completely useless spell shall lead to its deletion.
  • Your spells should always give bounty where necessary!
  • Protected maps shall be immediately deleted (if the map can be opened with a third-party WE mention it at the submission of the spell as we won't test the map with every possible tool).
  • No custom icons are allowed in the map (that is not the purpose of the map!).
  • Custom sounds are prohibited (mainly due to possible copyright problems).
  • No custom models or skins shall be imported into the map. There may be some scarce exceptions where the model is simply a must for the spell. Besides, you can always post the model/skin (if it complies with the rules in the appropriate section) on the site and mention that it can be used by your spell. Spell Resource Moderators will decide on a case by case basis exactly which models are or are not acceptable.

GUI Spells
  • Do not use specific units on the map in the code.
  • Avoid object leaks (this includes locations, groups and initialization triggers).
  • If the spell can be made multiinstanceable (MUI) without storing some objects/values into variables, then replace the variables with appropriate value/object.
  • Spells must be MUI/player (multiple units of distinct players be able to cast the spell at the same time).
  • Try to make your spell configurable for multiple levels.

JASS Spells
  • No general leaks accepted: variables, objects, etc.
  • Only fully MUI spells.
  • Add configuration functions to make your spell easy to modify (preferably with comments to know how they affect the spell - Ex: AoE, Drain amount, Damage).
  • Your spell should be configurable for multiple levels (usually configuration functions with a level parameter and a formula are the way to do it).
  • If you use a cache system or any other functions not made by you, mention the author in the script (above the system/function), if credits don't already exist.
  • Avoid uselessly using BJ functions (especially swapped versions of native ones).
  • Make efficient code. GUI->JASS conversions aren't exactly efficient. Compress your code, avoid useless comparisons etc.
  • Write a clean code. Even though this may not sound important, if your code is structured a bit (and maybe even has a few comments), people will be able to learn from it a lot!

This document is subject to future revision and/or amendment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 32
The proposed Spell Rules are both clear and comprehensive.

While the rules may complicate the process for spell makers, the resulting spells are sure to be error free and of a quality that is consistently desirable and reliable. The points addressed in these guidelines are critically important to ensure that all consumers who download any spell will be satisfied with the product.

I do not believe that any of the included content can be refuted or should be denied. Furthermore, no additions or amendments easily come to mind or are ever likely to be necessary, although future experience may bring to light new situations which are not presently addressed.

The only problem that I can foresee with the proposed rules lies strictly with their implementation. The final form of this document should be stickied and prominently displayed. Even then there are certain to be a great many submissions that will violate any number of these prudent strictures.

Last edited:
Level 11
I don't really see much of anything wrong with the rules. The one thing I see is that JASS spells are somewhat required to be configurable while for GUI spells you say "Try to make it configurable". They can just make a few variables and put them at the beginning of the trigger to configure the actions. I think you should also add that for GUI that unnecessary variables should not be added to avoid confusing code, though they really can't threaten file size much.

Level 32
I do not agree with the custom model restriction!
Under certain conditions custom models MAY be permitted:
There may be some scarce exceptions where the model is simply a must for the spell.
I can't speak for Daelin but I completely agree with wyrmlord:
...The idea is to make the spell not dependent upon a model in order to work, so it can more easily implemented into a map...

Level 32
These rules are now official Hive Workshop policy: a copy of them has been included in our [self="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/faq.php?faq=resources#faq_spellrules"]FAQ[/self]

Amendments or revisions to these rules may continue to be discussed freely by the community in this thread.

On behalf of the entire site, I'd Like to thank Daelin for authoring this wise set of guidelines. Thanks, Kelani Mage!

I'd also like to thank all of the talented Warcraft III spell editors who have submitted (and in the future will continue to submit) their fine creations to our site. Thanks gang!

Status
Not open for further replies.