• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Spell Book Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a spell book full of dummyspells all based off the same ability. Problem is it doesnt show all of the spells. Then when you click on a spell its the only one you can use. If you click on any other spell it will use the first spell you used. All the spells have thier order string set to None so that isnt it. But what is? And why wont it show all my spells?!

Level 21
You must use different dummy spells or use the "Channel" spell, which is (nearly) the only spell where changed orderid's do work. Channel can also be customised to almost any sort of spell, only "autocast" spells aren't supported. Or requirements such as "dead corpse required".

I cant use the editor right now so I am just going to respond.
The min spell is set to 1 and the max spell is set to 11. The spell book with all the spells in it is disabled for all players and the ability vendor has the spellbook and an empty one with same order ID so that those spells all appear within the empty spellbook.

So eleandor You are saying that I should base them all off of "Channel" ability. And changing order Ids on Channel would work. So if I just made Holy Light based of a channel then made the order id something like dummy1 then it would work fine without interfereing with other spells based off channel.

I didnt know Channel was an active ability. Where do I find it within the editor? Under special? Then do I just set the times to duration 0.01 and a cooldown and it would work like I wanted it to?

You know what I just realized... This thread belongs in General World Edit Questions.
Im not really discussing the triggers that give units abilities when they use dummy spells from ability vendors...

Level 21
So eleandor You are saying that I should base them all off of "Channel" ability. And changing order Ids on Channel would work. So if I just made Holy Light based of a channel then made the order id something like dummy1 then it would work fine without interfereing with other spells based off channel.
Yup. Just go to the ability editor and search for "Channel" (cntrl + F). It should be the second ability you find.

The channel ability has following options:

Data - Base Order Id
This field determines the order id. Channel spells with different order id's will not interfere when cast. Which orderid you choose doesn't matter at all.
Data - Disable other abilities
This field disables all other abilities the unit has as long as the spell is being cast.
Data - Follow Through Time
This field determines how long the ability will be "channeling" (hence the "channel' name of the ability). If set to 0, it'll act as a non-channeling spell.
Data - Options
This field has following options:
- Visible (if not visible, there will be NO icon!!!)
- Targetting Image (when this spell has a unit target, some crosshair like mousepointer will be visible when casting this spell)
- Physical Spell / Universal Spell / Unique Cast
Data - Target Type
This field determines whether your channel spell will be targetable on units, points or simply instantly.

The ability itself does not do anything at all, so you have to trigger its effects. Which in fact, is the only reason this ability is in the editor: to allow users to easily make custom abilities without going through all the trouble of selecting a dummy ability.

One important note: abilities based on channel will not be cast by computer players, since those players don't know "when" to cast it. If you want the AI to use your channel based ability, you must either
- not base your ability on channel
- make a trigger that forces those units to cast the channel ability when required

Status
Not open for further replies.