• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Mapping] Speed & Damage Auras for your Towers

d0F

d0F

Level 2
Hi there, this is my first tutorial here, hope it won't be too bad.

What is this tutorial about?

It's about how to create Speed & Damage auras for your structures, how to add upgrade system to increase the the auras level and some more interesting stuff in an Avarage Joe friendly way.

Contents:

1.How to create Speed & Damage auras for structures
2.Upgrade system with Research
3.Maintaining aura level (Build after upgrade)

Let's begin!

1. How to create Speed & Damage auras for structures
1.1 Damage aura

Okay so to create the Damage aura we need to create a new ability based on Command aura located in Standard Abilities > Neutral Hostile > Units and name it Damage aura (or whatever you want to call it)

Now we need to change setting of the newly created aura so that it works on structures.

1. Set the Hero Ability to False
2. Set the Levels to How much levels of upgrade you want for it
3. Change the Attack Damage Increase Data field values to your desired ones (remember, 1.00 = 100%, 0.01 = 1%)
4. Set all the Melee Bonus and Ranged Bonus fields to True
5. Set the Area of Effect fields to your desired range
Optional: Create a new Buff based on Command Aura and change its Icon, Tooltip and description to your needs and then add it to Buffs fields of the aura
6. Set the Targets Allowed field to Vulnurable, Invulnerable, Structure (you can add Ground and Air if you plan the aura to be used by units that are not structures)
7. Change the Icon, Tooltips and Description at your will

1.2 Speed Aura
This one is a lot like Damage aura, but it has it's differences.
Base it off the Endurance Aura from Standard Abilities > Orc > Hero section

1. Set the Hero Ability to False
2. Set the Levels to How much levels of upgrade you want for it
3. Change the Attack Speed Increase Data field values to your desired ones (remember, 1.00 = 100%, 0.01 = 1%)
4. Change the Movement Speed Increase Data field values to 0
5. Set the Area of Effect fields to your desired range
Optional: Create a new Buff based on Endurance Aura and change its Icon, Tooltip and description to your needs and then add it to Buffs fields of the aura
6. Set the Targets Allowed field to Vulnurable, Invulnerable, Structure (you can add Ground and Air if you plan the aura to be used by units that are not structures)
7. Change the Icon, Tooltips and Description at your will

Now that that's done, add the ability to your unit you want to have the aura and test it in your map to see if you did everything right.

Good?
Good!
Let's move on!

2. Upgrade System with Research
This system will use Research done by a building to increase the level of your aura (if you have multiple levels and want to be able to increase them)

To do this firstly go to Upgrades tab and create a custom Upgrade based on Cloud upgrade from Human section.
Change the values as follows:

1. Change the Gold Base and Gold Increment to How much you need it to cost
2. Change the Lumber Base and Lumber Increment to How much you need it to cost
3. Set Levels to how much levels your aura has -1 (because the unit already has aura at level 1)
4. Change the Time base and Time Increment to Whatever you need
5. Remove any Techtree - requirements
6. Change Icon, Tooltip and Description at your will

Repeat the same actions and make an upgrade for your other aura

Now that we have our auras and upgrades, add both upgrades to the structure you want to be able to research them.

Now let me show you how to increase the level of aura ability when its done upgrading.

Trigger #1
For this we will need 2 Variables of Integer type so go create them and name them DamageLeveland SpeedLevel and set the value to 1

And heres the trigger for increasing Speed Auras ability level after research
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Finishes research
  • Conditions
    • (Researched tech-type) Equal to Research Speed Aura
  • Actions
    • Set speedlevel = (speedlevel + 1)
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area)) and do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
          • If - Conditions
            • (Unit-type of (Picked unit)) Equal to Aura Tower
          • Then - Actions
            • Unit - Increase level of Speed Aura for (Picked unit)
          • Else - Actions
Note the part with
Change the unit type to your unit type that has the aura ability

Now do the same with Damage aura research

Trigger #2
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Finishes research
  • Conditions
    • (Researched tech-type) Equal to Research Damage Aura
  • Actions
    • Set damagelevel = (damagelevel + 1)
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area)) and do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
          • If - Conditions
          • Then - Actions
            • Unit - Increase level of Damage Aura for (Picked unit)
          • Else - Actions
Again note the part with
Change the unit type to your unit type that has the aura ability

Great! Now go and test this on your map and see if its working.

3. Maintaining Ability Level
This section is about how to set the ability level to the same as you have already researched when you build another Unit with your auras.
It's quite simple actually and this is why we created the Variables LevelDamage and LevelSpeed.

Ok less talk more triggers:
Trigger #3
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Finishes construction
  • Conditions
    • (Unit-type of (Constructed structure)) Equal to Aura Tower
  • Actions
    • Unit - Set level of Damage Aura for (Triggering unit) to damagelevel
    • Unit - Set level of Speed Aura for (Triggering unit) to speedlevel
Note the part with
  • (Unit-type of (Constructed structure)) Equal to Aura Tower
Set the unit type to your custom unit.

Okay then, guess that's it, hope you learned something and I would appreciate some criticism since this is my first tut.

Seeya,
d0F

Last edited:
Please Remove Do Nothing trigger action from your triggers, because there is no need for it!

Also tutorial is basic, only 2 auras that level up!

For approve I would like to see something like;

1. Ability level up (done)
  2. Auto Spell Attack (example: Havoc Arrow - Skibi Castle)
  3. Damage or Speed Aura that reduce creeps stats
  4. For example how to transform one ability to another! (Player can build 2 same towers but one can have speed another damage aura ^^)
  5. And so on

d0F

d0F

Level 2
So basically I just wanted to post a simple aura creation, not a guide with 50 pages (which is what you're suggesting). I could do those in separate tutorials.

Btw, stat reducing aura is a bit more tricky and doesn't fall in this category.

4th point is kinda dumb, I don't think anyone would even want to know this. I can do it, but waste of time IMO.

So basically I just wanted to post a simple aura creation, not a guide with 50 pages (which is what you're suggesting). I could do those in separate tutorials.
Well then moderators can reject each one!

Tutorial must show us something, this level up ability thing is more like simple hint -.-

Btw, stat reducing aura is a bit more tricky and doesn't fall in this category.
Why not, it's simple just like this one!

4th point is kinda dumb, I don't think anyone would even want to know this. I can do it, but waste of time IMO.
Well I beg to differ, I think that you are lazy or just don't know how to make it!

Btw, use set level ability to value, instead of already used trigger actions!
It can be easy edited and has more options that should be explained here as well!

:razz:

You don't need to use triggers.
You can just use the upgrade to increase the ability level by setting one of the effects to Ability Level Bonus and changing fields accordingly.

^.

Needs some spelling fixes and it would be best using the method watermelon described. For that reason, and since the user has been inactive for 2 or 3 months, ~Graveyarded.