• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sound when a unit is trained/sent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
  • Ilidan
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Creep Spawn 1 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters Creep Spawn 2 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters Creep Spawn 3 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters Creep Spawn 4 <gen>
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Entering unit)) Equal to Illidan Morphed lvl 33
    • Actions
      • Sound - Play DemonHunterMorphedWhat1 <gen>
      • Wait 2.50 seconds
      • Sound - Play DemonHunterMorphedYesAttack1 <gen>
This is one of my attemps to do it. I tried to make it in over 4 different ways but it won't work, the sound won't play. Can someone help me?

Level 7
3D sounds are used to play sounds at specific points in the map, or at specific units current location. It allows the sound to only be heard by people who have their camera near the point where the sounds is playing.
That's my understanding of it at least.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
3D sounds are useful for effects that are only relevant to the players view.

For example you do not want to hear gun shots equally loudly across the entire map, which is what you will get if you are using non-3d sound. Using 3D sound you can make the gun shots really loud if the player is directly viewing them and softer if they are happening some distance away from the player's camera like one would expect for guns being fired.

3D sounds also takes advantage of Stereophonic sound in that depending on the direction of the 3D sound with respect to the current camera view you will get different loudness out of each speaker. This adds emersion as you can subconsciously think "that gunshot is coming to the left (or right) of where I am viewing" which can be used to enhance maps (especially horror maps where vision is poor as you can have 3D sounds play through the fog of war).

Depending on the 3D sound engine WC3 uses, the sounds might also be subject to the Doppler effect. This would mean that moving 3D sound sources will change their perceived sound depending on the velocity of movement. I know games like Freelancer supported this around the time of WC3 however I do not know if WC3 supports this. I do think SC2 supports this however.

You do not want to use 3D sound for noises aimed directly at the player for example conversation dialog. 3D sound will decrease the clarity of such elements reducing the impact it gives to the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.