• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sound/Music Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
This is a pretty simple thread, but I just wanted to know if there's a good reason why there isn't a category for unit sound sets, sound effects, etc. It seems like it would be useful.

Level 3
If uploading a soundset, wouldn't you typically have to say for which unit it is made because units have varying number of the different types of sounds?
Yeah, just like with skins, you would have to specify which unit it is designed to be "applied" to, since the only way to use custom soundsets is to replace the sounds of a different unit. Of course it doesn't have to be a specific unit, as some units have the same amount (and types) of sounds, but it would be handy to know which one the creator based their soundset off so you can find a similar one in case you need to use the original soundset.

If I'm making any sense here...

Level 25
If uploading a soundset, wouldn't you typically have to say for which unit it is made because units have varying number of the different types of sounds?
Yeah, like mr Zartyzzo says, the user gets to choose which unit this replaces since not all units have the same amount of voiceclips,
a chimaera doesn't have as many as the Dreadlord and his rant about darkness.

So specifiy which unit and maybe race / building / weapons / items categories like for the other resources.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Just to be clear, I am on board for this.

Zartyzzo said:
...you would have to specify which unit it is designed to be "applied" to, since the only way to use custom soundsets is to replace the sounds of a different unit.
I believe this is why a "Sound Resources" section has never taken off. This & that there are so few sound creators (either music or sound-sets). Blizzard made it so difficult to include this stuff (unlike the relatively effortless import of models, textures, icons, etc), that there's been next-to-no one doing much in that field, except for extreme hobbyists like myself (with no space limits).

Oh yeah, that's the other problem; sound files are big.

Zartyzzo said:
Yeah, just like with skins,...
I think this could be very work-able. Like in the Skin section, just putting "Made for X soundset". We can always find alternatives (perhaps enterprising sound designers & nice users can do so in the resource thread), but it's good to know the base.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Well when thinking about it. While you're at it, you may make a bunch of each sound and have it be compatible with all units. Users of the sound set would just pick which sounds for each command they like the best.

I am just thinking aloud here. I haven't much decided whether to do it :)

Level 21
This sounds like a grand idea,and I sure would like to see it happen.It could be great for projects,especially some custom music will be awesome.

However,as @Kyrbi0 mentioned,there aren't many who do this so this may end up 'failing' due to there not being much activity.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
It's funny; in recent months we've had a crazy influx of sound-people; my wife being among them. Probably 3-5 "voice actors" have come out the woodworks, we've had our first Music Contest in years, & I envisioned (but haven't yet finalized the details of/notification for) a Voice Acting Contest. So maybe this wouldn't be so crazy.

Then again, speaking of "inactivity", the Storywriting forum is essentially dead (but for a few of us). Unless it's a big drain on the server's resources (@Ralle ?), I don't imagine having a little-used Sound/Music forum would be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.