• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Some techtree decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I'm in the early, this-might-never-happen development stages of a campaign and I've created a sort of tweaked human techtree for it, and I'm aiming for something where no unit becomes obsolete towards late game, but I've hit something that requires me to make a decision and I'm really bad at that so I need some brainstormers to hop in and help me decide :D

Ok, so the situation is as follows:

I've edited the human priest to a full support role, where he doesn't attack (still under debate) but instead, all three of his abilities are autocast - so the priest has 3 possible automatic supportive roles.
Spell 1 is the regular heal, Spell 2 is Abolish Magic used to replace the Dispel Magic that priests regularly have, and Spell 3 is Inner Fire tweaked for a shorter duration (for example 6 seconds - thus 1 priest could keep 6 people at a time blessed with Inner Fire)

However, I have kept the Spell Breakers, and the problem is that spell breakers have the Spell Steal, which would render the new Priests' Dispel useless - or even a bad choice because you'd be destroying buffs you could potentially use - and that's something I want to avoid.

Abolish Magic and Spell Steal target the same buffs, except that Abolish Magic destroys them, while Spell Steal transfers them to a different target. Abolishing spells that could be useful to the player when there are Spell Breakers in the fight would basically mean the player is robbing him/herself of buffs s/he could potentially use

So this is basically my predicament.

One of the ideas I had was to A) move the Spell Steal and give it to priests instead of Abolish Magic, but that would surely make Adept Priests slightly too powerful.
The other choices I see are B) replace Abolish Magic with some other autocast spell like Curse or Faerie Fire, simply C) let it be and accept it as a feature rather than a flaw, or D) remove Spell Steal entirely.

If anyone has any thoughts or other suggestions for solutions, please let me know :D

P.S.: I would upload a map with the units I've mentioned but it's currently a mess as this campaign is a revival of an old attempt that I haven't finished and I'm still weeding out some bad choices from 2012.

Level 26
Since you decided to keep Spell Breakers, I'd suggest that you just keep Spell Steal and remove Abolish Magic from Priests since that's pretty much what their name means.

Though, maybe you could repurpose Spell Steal to only work on friendly units (removing negative buffs) so that they don't steal buffs, and you might be able to keep Abolish Magic then. Perhaps then it would be even better to give that kind of Spell Steal to priests and Abolish Magic to Spell Breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.