• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solitary Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hey!
Well, I guess this is my first post here in Terrain Board. xD

Foto.jpg

Level 36
First scenic terrain too?

I have to say, with these new doodads, even a beginner can obviously make a terrain
that looks half-decent, but it still does take an eye for art to make something stand out.
And I'd say you have a good foundation going here.

Fog, doodad placement and composition/depth are all on an acceptable level here, and
for a first terrain you've done rather great in those regards. There are only a few
discrepancies, as far as I can see.

Let's address the minor things first, for starters I'm not awfully fond of your choice of
grass, I think you could have done better by choosing better looking grass doodads, or
even, a more varied grass flora. Try mixing in a couple other shrubs, like bushes, other
grass doodads to vary the grass and so such. Currently, the grass looks a bit spammy.

The window of the tower, I think, should be moved a little to the right, so it's more
centred on the tower, and moved a bit toward the camera to remove those rocks
sticking out through it. I also think you should put a little grass in front of the rock
on the left side, just so that transition from ground to rock looks a little smoother.

But the major issue you should work with is what we terrainers like to call "Centre of
focus". Currently, this terrain looks like a mere screenshot from somewhere in a game.
When making a scenic terrain, you want to tell a story, and by telling a story you need
something to grab, and hold, the attention of the viewer. Something like a sun, or a
scenario, something that gives the terrain some life. I think that maybe adding a sun
to this terrain, and some environmental lighting, will go a long way to fix that.

You could also try to mix in some cloud doodads to give the sky a little more life.
All that aside, though, this is a nice first terrain. Good work! Keep working at it and
I think it might become great. Keep it up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.