• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

So what are we doing now to prepare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I didn't believe the rumors that the beta was coming out this month, which I also did not believe the rumors from those who have been in industry meetings that the game is coming out this summer.

Whether it's true or not it seems that starcraft 2 is in our foreseeable future. So ask yourself a question what are you going to do when it comes out? I'm guessing 1 play it forever, and 2 use the map editor forever. 3 see what other people have made. Which leaves little time for 4 make tools that will help us develop the game more quickly.

We have much information now due to released MPQ's so we can start on these things early the first thing I'm going to work on is an eclipse plugin(They have a great tool for Domain Specific Languages called XText). Which could possibly lead to easy use of an SVN for game projects and further possibilities such as OOP using custom save actions and remote libraries using build files. You might not care for all that but my point is that we have the information to work now!

That's what I'm going to do(Could use some help, I'm actually part way in to it) but there are many things we could do including things that have no relation to the galaxy editor itself. (Web tools for project management maybe?, I'd like to see open task management commits for mods).

Have any ideas or are you doing anything to prepare? Do you think I'm being an over-zealous idiot who will never get anything done prior to the release of SC2? Am I just dead wrong in general? I appreciate any constructive comments.

Level 22
When I saw these graphics I decided not only will I buy it but I intend to play it for a VERY long time. The only game that may replace it would be War4 if it is soo good and I hope it doesn't come out in the next 4 years. Heck I'd play both Melee and def make the maps and missions that I stopped doing when I heard about SC2 in 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.