• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Import] So...How Does One Fix Missing Textures and Models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I know this is a rookie issue, well, sadly I am a rookie in such matter...
Here's how it went down for me:
1. I downloaded a pack, which comes with a mdx and several dds files.
2. I imported all of them into import manager, reforged edition to be exactly.
Then, something was off.
When I choose to apply custom path to the mdx file in unit editing, a large section of the model would be without textures.
When I changed the path inside import manager according to the tutorials that I googled, then apply the imported path (Even without changing the paths), the model itself went missing as the big old green-black box was seen inside the World Editor...
Guess I rly should look for a better tutorial for reforged edition...

Edit: I suspect it has something to do with my World Editor, it seems unable to recognise .dds files as textures, they were labelled as 'others' instead, now the mdx files seems not working properly, I'm stuck with the green&black box for now.

Last edited:
Level 2
I noticed that one major issue is the World Editor kept alerting me that it could not locate the mdl file that import system automatically looking for, maybe something to do with that?
Also I just noticed that my Import Manager could not identify dds files as textures, maybe it was the world editor itself got me?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
DDS is not supported by legacy versions of Warcraft III. Make sure you are running the latest (Reforged).

The textures still need to be at the correct file path for Warcraft III to recognize them. As always the texture file paths are defined by the model file itself.

Reforged models will fail to load when viewed with classic graphics mode enabled. This is for licence/pay wall reasons.

Not all DDS files will work. Specifically Warcraft III only supports a specific type of encoding within DDS. As such you may want to link the DDS files in question to see if anyone can get them to load and that they are the right format.

Level 2
DDS is not supported by legacy versions of Warcraft III. Make sure you are running the latest (Reforged).

The textures still need to be at the correct file path for Warcraft III to recognize them. As always the texture file paths are defined by the model file itself.

Reforged models will fail to load when viewed with classic graphics mode enabled. This is for licence/pay wall reasons.

Not all DDS files will work. Specifically Warcraft III only supports a specific type of encoding within DDS. As such you may want to link the DDS files in question to see if anyone can get them to load and that they are the right format.

I am running the latest reforged edition, and yes, the model worked well for the author's game, it's downloaded here...
As of currently, my problem is about how to re-appoint the correct path for textures, I followed the instruction given by the author, to delete the war3mapimport stuff before the .dds files, leaving only the file names in import manager, while the mdx path remain untouched...

NVM, it worked now, for reasons unknown to me, thx for the reply.

Nah, pretty sure .dds gets listed as "Other" regardless can you link the pack and then show us what paths you're using? :)
Yeah... Just found out about it XD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.