• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sniperman_Station

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
After the kinda ''success'' of the minigun bunker, i desided to make another similar model. This is the result: a secret sniper-outpost. It features more details than the minigun bunker, just take a close-enough look. Especially during the attack anim ;-). I must admit, it's also not the perfect model, but at least it's next to impossible to make it in WE. This model is like a supplementary model for those making modern warfare maps including my bunker. The bunker is the heavier version of a defensive structure, while this is the simplest and lightest. Feel free to use it for whatever you want! Have fun with it! :D

EDIT 1: fixed the problem with the magazine. Also changed the earth-part's texture to Replaceable ID 11 so that it changes acording to the tileset. My credits for those corrections go to anarchianbedlam (magazine issue) and RetroSexual (earth part texture) for telling me about those problems. Thank you guys! ;-)

Keywords:
outpost, sniperman, hidden shooter, sniperman_station, sniperman outpost, sniper-trap
Contents

Sniperman_Station (Model)

Reviews
00:26, 13th Oct 2011 anarchianbedlam: Put some UV wrap on the top of that dirt pile. UV wrap on the sides of the construction cover. The 'magazine clip' geoset appears on the birth animation when it shouldnt. The death/decay animations.... could use...

M

00:26, 13th Oct 2011
anarchianbedlam: Put some UV wrap on the top of that dirt pile. UV wrap on the sides of the construction cover. The 'magazine clip' geoset appears on the birth animation when it shouldnt. The death/decay animations.... could use some effort. This model just needs to be cleaned up a bit.

This is not a game to see if you can do the least amount of changes before it gets accepted. either fix /all/ of it's problems, or don't bother wasting my time updating it.

Level 9
oh, you mean i should use mixed shrubs (like 1 shrub Lordearon summer, one shrub barrens, etc)? I actually left that as is, so that the shrub skin can be replaced according to the terrain.....i'm actually looking for a grass texture that changes depending on tileset (like the earth-hill's cliff00).

let´s try to do the shrub more randomly

Well also. the directions of them. and their sizes. and not every place has to be covered. and one could be a bit lower etc. that kind of more random he means i guess. and you could use different kinds indeed too if that might work, i do not know. Good luck with it.

Level 15
Nice model. Would work well if it had alternate anim where there is no sniper. So u can actually "load" your sniper into this. Also the bushes can be more random, too. Like bigger, smaller, taller, differently rotated etc.

P.S.
LF to the minigun variation. I really need something like a defence post with a minigun (warhammer imperium if u remember :p)

Level 18
First nice idea and model :) Pretty useful for modern warfare maps!

But as already mentioned you should make this more "natural" .. the straight order of the shrubs isn't that close to nature, also add different types of shrubs, different shapes, sizes, etc.

But most important, change the ground texture! You can see the cross and stuff from the tileset settings that shouldn't be there.. You could add some rocks to remove that plane look, but it's ok so, just use another texture for the dirt part..

However, nice model! :)

P.S.
LF to the minigun variation. I really need something like a defence post with a minigun (warhammer imperium if u remember :p)
yeah, I'm still working on it. I'm just a bit confused of wether putting 2 or 1 marine there. 2 as this: 1 holding & firing the minigun, the other one re-loadging/holding the ammo-chain. Srry, i never plaid warhammer.

2 ALL OTHER POSTERS:
I'll make a few changes in the bushes. Promised!

Level 15
yeah, I'm still working on it. I'm just a bit confused of wether putting 2 or 1 marine there. 2 as this: 1 holding & firing the minigun, the other one re-loadging/holding the ammo-chain. Srry, i never plaid warhammer.

2 ALL OTHER POSTERS:
I'll make a few changes in the bushes. Promised!

Well, the warhammer model has 2 marines, and 3 varions of weapons - machine gun/lasercannon and autocannon (something like a FLAK (?), but that doesnt matter. Even with one would be perfect.

----------------
What do u think about my other idea? Of making an alternate anim with no unit loaded?

Well, the warhammer model has 2 marines, and 3 varions of weapons - machine gun/lasercannon and autocannon (something like a FLAK (?), but that doesnt matter. Even with one would be perfect.

----------------
What do u think about my other idea? Of making an alternate anim with no unit loaded?

I thought about it, but if i make it that way, it wouldn't require any marine @ all. It would simply be a defensive ''hill/post'' that could only stand alone and the marines could be added as attachments then. The advantage of this would be by importing it, you have a simple, all-purpose little outpost, but the disadvantage is that all units using it would need alternate anims. Besides, why do you want 2 have an anim without the marine? You mean the vanishes after death but the hill & shrubs stay?

Level 15
I thought about it, but if i make it that way, it wouldn't require any marine @ all. It would simply be a defensive ''hill/post'' that could only stand alone and the marines could be added as attachments then. The advantage of this would be by importing it, you have a simple, all-purpose little outpost, but the disadvantage is that all units using it would need alternate anims. Besides, why do you want 2 have an anim without the marine? You mean the vanishes after death but the hill & shrubs stay?

Imagine this. U have a sniper hero/unit. And this model is placed in it's "alternate" animation (without marine) as a neutral passive building. So u can go next ot it and cast your "get in" or whatever spell, and ur marine 'mounts the outpost' so it has increased damge/armor/invisiblity whatever .... Do u see my idea ? xD

Imagine this. U have a sniper hero/unit. And this model is placed in it's "alternate" animation (without marine) as a neutral passive building. So u can go next ot it and cast your "get in" or whatever spell, and ur marine 'mounts the outpost' so it has increased damge/armor/invisiblity whatever .... Do u see my idea ? xD

i do see it, but on the other hand, you would need to make a sniperman as attachment for this, so that the ''get in'' is the load on spell from the zeppelin, and depending on the model that's loaded, the appropriate attachment is added. I will make such a model as well, but it will rather be a ruined tower/building not such a cheap, simple thingy......

I find it odd that most of your models include unnecessary ground underneath them, making them unusable on a variety of tilesets, as it would look unusual to have a patch of ground that does not at all fit the rest of the environment.

I suggest removing the ground, as well as rotating and moving the shrubs a bit. At the moment they're all lined up perfectly (because you copied them and only bothered to move them in one dimension). Move their X/Y proportions only very slightly for each individual shrub, so that they look a bit more natural.

You may also want to work on the helmet, it's just a plain blot of red at the moment. I know this is not your fault, but if there's improvement to be done, you might as well do it. Possibly give him a dark hood, or even a ghille suit, since he is a sniper trying to blend in, after all.

Overall, the model looks pretty neat and will certainly be useful for defensive maps. However, I do believe this would be more useful if it was an animation added to the marine, allowing it to go prone. (although this has already been done before, therefore making this model relatively useless).

I'll give this a 3/5 for now, but I would prefer to see useful models in the future. Unfortunately, many of your models can be more efficiently done with other methods.
Try making more models such as this one: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/murray-rock-cave-196208/
I like that model, created by you a while back, as it is creative and useful. Many of your other models, however, could stand to be done better.

As I've said before, the ground should be removed from the model. Otherwise it completely loses any compatibility with any other tile.
the skin of the earth-part has been changed. It now changes ingames according to the tileset :)fp: Replaceable ID 11 instead of the cliff texture). I'm not sure yet, if i should remove the bushes, as they also ruin the entire thing of the replaceables a bit :vw_sad:

That's good, that you've made the earth change with the tilset. In fact, that's an absolutely wonderful aspect of the model. I think the bushes could be darkened. If they're more of a dark color, then they'd fit well enough into just about any tilset, be it summer, winter, desert, w/e. Only place bushes would be inappropriate is on Underground.

That's good, that you've made the earth change with the tilset. In fact, that's an absolutely wonderful aspect of the model. I think the bushes could be darkened. If they're more of a dark color, then they'd fit well enough into just about any tilset, be it summer, winter, desert, w/e. Only place bushes would be inappropriate is on Underground.
well, i'm not sure if it's a better idea to remove the bushes from the model and add them around it in WE. Besides, this model is only useable as a trap doodad, as buildings fire at targets inside a 360° angle. This one is supposed to fire only frontward in a total 90° angle. The same problem as the bunker :vw_sad: I'll make a minigun-station later, which will have a rotateable turret, so that it can be used as a building. :wink: