• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Snapfire Scatterblast from DotA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I want to add a ability based of the DotA2 Spell Scatterblast.
It has 5 projectiles shot in an angle starting from the same origin and then spreading out in a cone shape. My idea is to use 5x Breath of Fire for the damage. My issue here is that I also want the units to be slowed that gets hit by the Breath of Fire. Any idea how to do that?

Well you can make a trigger where you will add the enemy hit by Breath of Fire in group and after make an dummy with slow and order that dummy to attack the units from that group
Update: Also see this

hmmmm maybe you can make a dummy that will act as the projectile and slow all nearby enemies
See this

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I'm pretty sure Scatterblast is literally Breath of Fire, it just deals bonus damage to targets within 450 range of Snapfire. The missiles are purely visual. You could use multiple 0 damage Shockwaves or you can trigger the Missiles using Special Effects.

From DotA wiki:
Notes:
  • Scatterblast travels at a speed of 3000, taking 0.27 seconds to travel the full distance.
  • With the travel distance and end radius, it can hit units up to 1200 range away.
    • The complete area is shaped like a cone.
  • Deals 100/160/220/280 (150/240/330/420 point blank) damage to units.

One method: Use a Damage Engine + Dummy unit and have the Dummy cast Breath of Fire. Then detect the damage dealt from the Dummy's Scatterblast, and do a distance check from the Damaged unit and Snapfire. If the unit is within 450 range of Snapfire, increase the damage dealt by 50%. So your Hero would have a "fake" ability which triggers a Dummy to cast the Breath of Fire.

Last edited:
Level 14
I'm pretty sure Scatterblast is literally Breath of Fire, it just deals bonus damage to targets within 450 range of Snapfire. The missiles are purely visual. You could use multiple 0 damage Shockwaves or you can trigger the Missiles using Special Effects.

From DotA wiki:
Notes:
  • Scatterblast travels at a speed of 3000, taking 0.27 seconds to travel the full distance.
  • With the travel distance and end radius, it can hit units up to 1200 range away.
    • The complete area is shaped like a cone.
  • Deals 100/160/220/280 (150/240/330/420 point blank) damage to units.

One method: Use a Damage Engine + Dummy unit and have the Dummy cast Breath of Fire. Then detect the damage dealt from the Dummy's Scatterblast, and do a distance check from the Damaged unit and Snapfire. If the unit is within 450 range of Snapfire, increase the damage dealt by 50%. So your Hero would have a "fake" ability which triggers a Dummy to cast the Breath of Fire.
Yea I saw that on the dota wiki. But I thought it makes sense to have the shockwaves with different damage.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Yea I saw that on the dota wiki. But I thought it makes sense to have the shockwaves with different damage.
By using that method you'll be creating a "shotgun" effect because all of those Shockwaves can hit the same target. Perhaps you want this effect but it wouldn't function like Scatterblast.

Edit: I attached an example map of how this could be done.

Two issues:
I don't think Breath of Fire's cone radius works exactly like Scatterblasts but it's pretty close.
The source of the damage is a Dummy unit and not Snapfire. This could cause issues with the "A unit dies" Event and (Killing unit) Event Response.

Attachments

• Scatterblast.w3m
    21.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.