• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Slash / Pushback Ability help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hello Community,

Iam looking for a rather generic Spell but i cant figure out how to do this Specific variation of it.
I need an Ability (close range, frontal cleave) where the Casting unit Slides slighty towards the Enemy while doing a ''Slash'' effect Attack Animation. If the Enemy infront of the Casting unit gets hit it should get Pushed back slightly. (so everytime you use the Spell the casting unit slides or makes a ''step'' forward no matter if it hits something or not)

There are Many Pushback and Knockback Systems on Hive but i couldnt figure out how to use them for this Specific Spell because i need the casting unit to ''Slide/Push'' into the direction of the Spell while the Enemy unit is pushed back at the same time if hit.
Other thing. the Spell needs to have Pathability (So Units dont get pushed on cliffs aso)

I know this is a very generic request that can be done with the Systems on Hive but i just cant combine them (or change them) to work exactly like the way i thought about it :(

Thank you all,

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Questions:
What is the ability targeting type: Unit, Point, Both, or Immediate?
Can only one enemy unit get hit by the slash?
Can an enemy unit get hit more than once per cast? (edit)
Does the hitbox for the slash attack travel along with the casting unit?
Does the hitbox use a circle radius or a cone radius when checking for nearby targets?
Does the spell need to be MUI? In other words, can multiple units cast this at the same time?
Most importantly, which version of Warcraft 3 do you use?

Last edited:
Level 8
Ok i go through your Questions real quick:
It should be an immediate spell. In the direction the Casting unit is facing.
It should hit all Enemies infront. like a Frontal Cleave.
and more than once so you can Use the spell with short cooldown.
I dont know about the Second last question. I think yes.
And yeah it should be a Cone radius.

Thanks alot for your fast respond :)

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Ok i go through your Questions real quick:
It should be an immediate spell. In the direction the Casting unit is facing.
It should hit all Enemies infront. like a Frontal Cleave.
and more than once so you can Use the spell with short cooldown.
I dont know about the Second last question. I think yes.
And yeah it should be a Cone radius.

Thanks alot for your fast respond :)
MUI (Multi-Unit Instanceable) means that the spell's triggers will always work regardless of how many units have the ability. If only ONE unit controlled by ONE player can use this ability then it doesn't need to be MUI.

And are you on version 1.33?

Last edited:
Level 8
Oh ok!
Well only the Main Character gets the Ability so i guess only one Unit will use it.
Yes i use the latest Version 1.33
:>

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Here you go, I ended up using Bribe's Knockback2D system for the knockback effect. This system required his Unit Indexer so I had to import that system as well. You'll also see a script called FieldOfView, I found that in a thread on Hive when searching for a "cone" effect. I added my own function to it that's specifically used for this spell.

The Unit Indexer has two important rules:
It should be the ONLY Unit Indexer system in your map.
You should NOT be using the Unit - Set Custom Value action yourself. Use the Unit Indexer instead as it provides a much better alternative.

Attachments

• Slash.w3m
    49.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Level 8
WoW! ♥
That works really well, i love it. thank you so much :) !

The Ability itself works perfectly fine i have only 1 Big Problem now. My Map uses the ''Damage Engine 5.9.0 from Bribe'' for the Damage Changes/Floating Text and this System has a :Unit is Moving System: with ''set custom value'' implemented. (I used the Moving System to give my Character Footstep sounds everytime he moves).
But this System uses the same 'Unit Indexer'.
Now i cant combine your Ability with the System >.<

heres the Slash.w3m with the 5.9.0 Dmg Engine imported (With the sound too)
maybe theres a possibility to makes both Systems work together ? xx

Attachments

• Slash+Dmg_Engine_5.9.0+ (MoveSound).w3m
    138.8 KB · Views: 3

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Both of those are the same Unit Indexer system created by Bribe so the solution is simple, delete one and keep the other. Note that the latest version of Damage Engine doesn't need a Unit Indexer.

Anyway, I attached a map with everything working as intended. You may notice I deleted some stuff, this is because when you import these systems they often contain triggers intended for the demo map and not needed by the system. I also fixed the animation on Slash so that the Blademaster doesn't get stuck in his "ready" animation or I guess it's the end of his attack animation.

Attachments

• Slash+Dmg_Engine_5.9.0+ Uncle 1.w3m
    124.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Level 8
Ah yeah i deleted one Unit Indexer System but i had a weird Error after doing it.

Everything works now. you are awesome :) !

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Right, because no two variables/triggers can share the same name, so if you import two of the same systems into your map you're going to create two versions of each trigger and each variable used by those systems.

For example, Bribe's Unit Indexer has the UDex variable and if you import two copies of this system into your map you'll wind up with two of them:
  • UDex
  • UDex_Copy
The copied variables will NOT work seeing as how the triggers used by the system don't reference them. If you look at the triggers in the system you can see which variables it's using, even if you don't understand how it works you can at least understand what it NEEDS to work.

But I should've clarified, when dealing with this you'll generally want to keep the original version and delete the new one, since the original will have the correct variables while the duplicate will have copied versions. Although, in some cases your original version may be outdated, so keep that in mind. In those cases you can delete the original and REPLACE it with the new up to date version. It can be tricky and the editor can be stubborn, but if you disable/delete/re-import things properly then you should be able to get things up and running without errors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.