• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skins, How To Make Both sides have same lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Skins, How To Make Both sides have same lighting.

My Problem is that in my roller coaster game, the tracks have a dark shade on the bottom of the tracks, so when you do a loop, the difference between no dark shade and dark shade stands out. I would like to have my model have the same shading on both sides. The only way i know how to do this is to remove all shadows, but then the models look like crap.

I have a picture at the bottom of this post as in example.

The guy who give me the model after i told me this issue offered this advice to me.

"about the shading, you could use a single model to each inclination and all the inverted versions, so there's no chance it looks bad shaded." But i didn't understand what he meant. Could someone explain?

Currently there is a model for 0,15,30,45,60,75,90. and then rotated and moved into place for the others.

Any Ideas?

54082d1241890205-have-suggestion-post-here-shadow-2.jpg

Attachments

• TrackPiece.mdl
    19.7 KB · Views: 54
  • TrackPiece.mdx
    7.8 KB · Views: 51
Level 6
I think what he may have meant was texturing each section individually? So the flat sections would be the same, but each piece that was at a different angle would be shaded according to position. At least, that's what I made of it.

Level 2
Are you sure this is truly a shading issue?

Judging from the screen shot it is possible that its an issue with shading
but perhaps the texture being used is at fault?

If you are unsure how to test this just create a plain white .blp file and
see if it still looks odd.

Edit: You mention that turning off shadows as a crude fix so indeed is must be shading.

You say you have models for "0,15,30,45,60,75,90" and that you rotate them into place for the other possible angles. Looking at your picture i can clearly see pieces that would fit and Not make the shading issue show up:

This is kinda hard to explain but here goes:
as you head right down your track and first coming up the loop you see the part where the shading starts looking ugly.. Now If you take the piece right before the one that looks ugly flip it upside down and use it instead then the shading is fine.

In short: Look for a different piece that can also be rotated into place and one of them will not have the shading issue.

If anything is unclear (probably) just ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.