• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skin/Model Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I've been editing skins for a little while now, and have a better-than-stumbling knowledge of it. I've run into a snag though. Whenever i try to replace an existing model with another model (such as, replacing the Thunder Lizard model with the Arthas w/Sword model) it shares the same skin as the original (then producing two identical models with the same skin). I am trying to change the path of the model to a different skin. Whenever i do though, it shows up blank...no character or anything (yet the unit shows up on the minimap). Currently what I am doing is renaming the .mdx file i am replacing the old file with, then opening the file with notepad and where it has the path (exp: Textures\Arthas) and changing it to the path of the new skin. this is where my problem is...as neither the model or skin shows up in the game or world editor. My intention is to have the same model, each with its own skin. Can anyone help?

Level 5
Dude try the War3Fileconverter. With that tool you change the .MDX file to a .MDL file and in notepad you can change the pathing in textures and save it. Than use the fileconverter to change it back to a .MDX again.
I use this to create the same model with 2 different skins in 1 map all the time and it works great!

Be aware though that if in the .MDL file u change the skin pathing to e.g. units\nightelf\archer2.blp you have to import a skin with the import manager and give it the exact path. Then it 'll work for sure!

Hope this helps
Sundance

Level 13
Yes, it has, well sort of :p. I don't have Frozen Throne, so i think the import manager is out of the questions, until i get it. But the file converter idea sounds like a plan. Thank you very much :)

I was wondering also, if you know any good programs to edit the models themselves. I'm trying to remove the attached weapons from the characters, so that, with trigger-special effects, i can put in my own and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.