• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skill/Talent Trees in Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello Hive community!
I would like to ask you about Skill/Tallent trees in video games. I won't lie, it's kind of a research for my map, but also just a topic to discuss.

What do you like and don't like in skill tress or even do you feel like we still need them in our games or should we get rid of that feature? What would be the best alternative in your opinion.
Do any games come to your mind when you hear the term "skill tree"?
Describe your ideal one if you feel like doing it.
Let's just talk about what we do and don't like, because it looks as some kind of "tree" is now necessary in almost all games, not only RPGs.

I'll start by giving some examples.
For me the closest to perfect is now Path of Exile, which comes up in pretty much every discussion like this. I like how much customization there is, how many different paths you can take. What I don't like though is that there is almost no impact on your character after leveling up because so much of the nodes are just flat "+10 stat".

I also liked Diablo 2 as a more classic approach, but I don't really like that it's like +20 points to few skills and ignore others. Synergies introduced in LoD are awesome, but I feel like this classic way of doing it did't age so well.

Next, a really "guilty pleasure" one, League of legends... even though it's not a true skill tree, the new masteries are really great system, that looks, and feels very satisfying. I'm not playing league anynore, had only few days nostalgia comeback, so I don't know how good is it really. What I wouldn't like in a RPG with league styled tree would be that one choice blocks the other opinion which isn't really what I want.

Now for bad... even though I love Titan Quest... I hate "place some points here to be able to get skills from this category".

There are lot more that I can talk about but I want to hear something from you!

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] What do you like and don't like in skill tress [...]
Do any games come to your mind when you hear the term "skill tree"?
Describe your ideal one if you feel like doing it.
Let's just talk about what we do and don't like [...]
I remember liking a lot the jobs system of Final Fantasy V.
Final Fantasy V/Jobs — StrategyWiki, the video game walkthrough and strategy guide wiki

Its imho most interesting part was that one had to discover over time which jobs were the most suited for each playable character of the game.

Additional info:
Final Fantasy 5 - Job Classes
List of Final Fantasy V jobs

Last edited:
Level 15
Final Fantasy classic job is great, I played FF3 and its really fun to try different job. Havent pass FF5 prelude although its already on my phone for a year lol. Although some classes are just really weak so its hard to level them up on late game. We need to level up other classes in order to get new one.

So far, I didnt really enjoy most skill tree. I played Torchlight 2, and the skill tree is kinda linear, and forced you to use those abilities multiple time before getting new one. It a really long progress o.o

Borderlands 2 skill tree is also fun, for first time play. Its theme is fantastic, and played differently on each branch. And there is this respect skill point so i can try different set.

I didnt play Heroes of the Storm, but only by watching heroes spotlight, i think the skill tree is really fantastic, giving multiple different gameplay, and since there is no item, those skill tree become the main thing.

I cant really remember Titan Quest skill tree. Its kinda too boring on early game. I only remember that i used defender class, its really painful grinding with it.

I played Kingdom of Amalur and Dragon's Dogma. KoA skill are kinda classic, but somehow they make it looks pretty great. Damn I cant really remember the details. I cant remember Dragon's Dogma at all :(

Status
Not open for further replies.