• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Showing number of stacks on buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I'm able to use one ability with 10 levels for each digit (0 to 9) but if I were to use this way to also show the stacks on a buff there would be 2 buffs after reaching 10 stacks instead of just showing 10 on the buff description.

So how can I show a number of stacks on a buff without an endless amount of ability levels?

Tbh, I'm not sure I understood the question of the TO.

If you want the "buff stack" number seperate from the ability level, you can always remove the actual ability buff and manually place a buff with appropriate level on the unit via triggers.

So, let's say your ability level is 10, but you want the buff to only show "2" in it's tooltip:
You trigger the ability, remove the default buff it applies and then add a modified tornado aura to the unit and set it to level 2 to make the tooltip display a "2".

... this will require you to fully trigger the effect of the buff aswell, though. So, for example, if you want an inner fire effect with customized stacks, you'd have to apply the armor and damage effect of the buff manually.
Then again, you probably already did this, since most default abilities won't stack anyway.

You need an endless amount of abilities instead.
You cannot do this without changing the icon of the ability.
Not true. Auras actually show a number next to the buff icon that displays the level of the aura.

Level 12
Tbh, I'm not sure I understood the question of the TO.

So, let's say your ability level is 10, but you want the buff to only show "2" in it's tooltip:
You trigger the ability, remove the default buff it applies and then add a modified tornado aura to the unit and set it to level 2 to make the tooltip display a "2".

Well lets put it like this: I'll have 2 abilities, each with 10 levels. the first one would represent 0 to 9 levels (stacks in the case of the buff) and the 2nd one would be 0 to 90 counting 0, 10, 20, etc. Basically there's two abilities with only 20 levels for 99 effective levels, if I also want there to be 99 levels of the buff I'd have to actually make 99 levels for it, since if I were to mimic the previous solution I'd have two separate buffs.

Naturally this would also become even worse if I think that I'd reach between 100 and 999 (although I don't really expect that).

It might be able to deal with having one buff with 99 levels but it's not good practice in case I'll need more later...

It does in the tooltip, but not on the icon.
Tooltip is good enough

Level 24
Well, that is impossible to do as buffs just like that.
What you could do is generate all the buffs using the object merger and make something to keep track of the current buff and the last buff but you cannot use the level of the ability as the number.
So you would have to make 100 icons and paint the number in the icon yourself.

Level 17
Well, that is impossible to do as buffs just like that.
What you could do is generate all the buffs using the object merger and make something to keep track of the current buff and the last buff but you cannot use the level of the ability as the number.
So you would have to make 100 icons and paint the number in the icon yourself.

Might be the only way.

@TO:
Aeroblyctos did it in his project. Ask him.

Level 12
Keep in mind that abilities with levels over 4 take dramatically longer to load in the map initialization phase, meaning you'll likely want a diferent solution.

Yep, that's why I'm asking about it here. As it stands I'm basically going to use floating text (ty) or scrap it.

Status
Not open for further replies.